Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:12:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: **Updated** Overstock-nears-a-total-of-1m-in-Bitcoin-purchases  (Read 1894 times)
Pentax (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:10:03 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2014, 08:10:07 PM by Pentax

http://coincrunch.com/Overstock-nears-a-total-of-1m-in-Bitcoin-purchases

Overstock nears a total of $1m in Bitcoin purchases
" Overstock began accepting bitcoin on 9th January – garnering $130,000 in total first-day spending. " CoinDesk

It will announce a rewards program to save 1% on Bitcoin purchases

Nice.  This sort of rebate/rewards/discount program will help drive it.

Nice Job Overstock!
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:29:43 PM

Love the rewards program. I'll use Overstock more because of it. Merchants *should* kick back a percent or two to bitcoin users, since they're saving 3% on CC fees. That'll be a great driver as more businesses accept bitcoin, and provide such incentive for consumers to use it.

But I think some of the best things recently have been the news that Overstock is holding a little of their bitcoin, wants to ultimately offer their employees the option to receive some of their paycheck in bitcoin, and is having Coinbase present at their annual suppliers' conference to try and get some suppliers to accept bitcoin. All of that is a great effort at closing the loop.

BitPay's payroll API is another example of closing the payments loop... http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140113006504/en/BitPay-Announces-Bitcoin-Payroll-API#.Uv0q0R_ztTM

This stuff takes time, but it's happening.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Philj

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:35:05 PM

When they can get to paying employees and suppliers, then that will be when there is a real economy in BTC.
Pentax (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:37:12 PM

the numbers won't last.

why wouldn't they?

if they offer an incentive it's a win-win and is what people have been saying all along would benefit users, which drives use.

it's basic economics.

but seriously, I'm interested to know why you don't think this will work out with Overstock....
crypto2k

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:49:58 PM

people are spending horded coins.

no one is buying btc to buy shit online.

+1
Pentax (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:32:28 PM

where do they go when Overstock moves them through Coinbase?  Overstock does not hold most of them, so they end up dumped back into the marketplace.

A portion go to speculators, that's well documented.  How much is that and how much of that ends up being spent.  I know I've spent coins I originally bought through coinbase intending to hold them and then used them when price leveled out for a while.

just applying basic economic principles.  If it's a cost savings for people, people will use it, if it isn't they won't.

What I do like about this with Overstock is that they're applying that nudge of some sort of incentive.  we'll see if it impacts anything, I suppose.
howardb

Activity: 574

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:31:38 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2014, 09:48:02 PM by howardb

Personal assumption? or is there some measurable stat to back that statement up?
Kick in the teeth for ZipZaps cashcoin business model if you're right.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:40:11 PM

I do

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:45:50 PM

I do

I think a lot more people buy btc to buy things online than you would expect.   That recent MIT study showed that the largest percentage of bitcoins purchased nowadays, are spent within the first 24 hours.

In regards to overstock.com, those numbers are pretty good, but they have dropped steeply from the larger numbers they were putting out in the first few days...
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 09:52:48 PM

I do

I think a lot more people buy btc to buy things online than you would expect.   That recent MIT study showed that the largest percentage of bitcoins purchased nowadays, are spent within the first 24 hours.

In regards to overstock.com, those numbers are pretty good, but they have dropped steeply from the larger numbers they were putting out in the first few days...

agree, its convenient for me to keep some bitcoin on my chrome addin wallet, makes shopping super fast and easy
Pentax (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:55:15 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/mit-report-bitcoin-more-likely-spent-hoarded/

Newly released research from the MIT Technology Review, a faculty-run university magazine, suggests that new bitcoins are increasingly being spent, not hoarded, by users after purchase.

The data illustrates that the number of unspent, new bitcoins has declined drastically from 2009, when nearly half of all new bitcoins were held for the entire first year of ownership. Today, the vast majority of new bitcoins are spent within 24 hours, the findings suggest.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:59:33 PM

To be a healthy ecosystem, we need a lot of holders just as we need a lot of spenders.   Ultimately we want the number of bitcoin transactions per day increasing, and we want more people to need more bitcoins so that the demand easily outweighs the supply
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:55:38 PM

I don't think there is anywhere for sales to go but up!  Keep up the good work Overstock!

Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:57:07 PM

I didn't know they accepted Bitcoin as a payment just because of that I will go and buy some things from them.

realmrealm

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:22:11 PM

+1

I bought btc just to buy newegg products when they announced. I hold, but I specifically bought more just to do a transaction through newegg. I think that as we go forward more things will step in to make moving fiat into btc to purchase goods and services using btc a seamless process that will not require so many steps and time.
Baitty

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:32:28 PM

Overstock is going to be one of my main places to spend money now because they have a wide variety.

keithers
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:32:51 PM

Didn't overstock come flying out of the gates with almost a couple hundred thousand in sales in the first day?   They have slowed down dramatically in regards to payments from bitcoin then right?
DieHardCore

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:40:39 PM

Setting the stage for many things great to come. The ceo should reward himself with a pat on the back for this one. They've brought in many new customers, I being one.
Pentax (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:48:22 PM

Didn't overstock come flying out of the gates with almost a couple hundred thousand in sales in the first day?   They have slowed down dramatically in regards to payments from bitcoin then right?

I don't think anyone expected them to sell 130k/day in bitcoin, which I think was their day 1 total.

1M in a month is pretty decent, considering the market penetration of bitcoin itself.

even if it falls further, which it probably will, they're turning an increased profit due to savings on processing fees.  considering they operate on 1% margin, anything that knocks that up would be considered a good thing, I would think.

Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:20:19 AM

even if it falls further, which it probably will, they're turning an increased profit due to savings on processing fees.

Source? Fees to convert bitcoin to USD which is what Overstock is certainly doing are not less than merchant fees for large retailers the last time I looked.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: