Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:26:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014-02-13 California Bill to Legalize Bitcoin [Source]  (Read 1026 times)
row5_seat47 (OP)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 11:05:32 PM

A Bill (act to amend Section 107 of the Corporations Code, relating to business associations) introduced by California State Assembly member and Chairman on Banking and Finance Roger Dickenson on January 15th “AB-129 Lawful money: alternative currency” (PDF) as Amended January 23, 2014 specifies that “current law which bans the issuance or circulation of anything but lawful money of the United States does not prohibit the issuance and use of alternative currency
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/10159/california-bill-legalize-bitcoin/
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 11:10:05 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/california-bill-bitcoin-lawful-money/

sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 11:12:49 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=464099.0

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
row5_seat47 (OP)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 11:21:33 PM

lol wasn't a request for the source --- rather this was the source of the CD article ... or Reddit same diff
Wink
CoinMode

Activity: 417
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 12:53:57 AM

This bill is funny because it already is legal to own and sell bitcoins. I guess the only difference is that now exchanges will have a foothold to help ensure their security, and of course the price is going to skyrocket when this passes  Cool
TonyZX

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 03:34:29 AM

So what is happening exactly, will someone please tell me?

With BTC rate down and withdrawal closed at more than one place, some states are legalizing it.

It's kinda hard to follow and make any conclusions.

Bitcoin is our past, present and future!
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 03:35:02 AM

So what is happening exactly, will someone please tell me?

With BTC rate down and withdrawal closed at more than one place, some states are legalizing it.

It's kinda hard to follow and make any conclusions.

It's called FUD
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 03:38:49 AM

This bill is funny because it already is legal to own and sell bitcoins. I guess the only difference is that now exchanges will have a foothold to help ensure their security, and of course the price is going to skyrocket when this passes  Cool

It actually isn't that uncommon.  Since the laws on the books are written over the course of centuries the particular status of something can sometimes been undefined.  While no law previously in CA explicitly by name declared Bitcoin illegal, the existing laws of "lawful money" brings up at least the question on if Bitcoin violates those.

A company would much rather have a situation where a law explicitly defines something as lawful then a scenario where it "probably is lawful because nobody has had all their assets seized by the state ... yet".  My guess is some business interest in California lobbied to get this passed.  Putting something in explicit black and white is always a good thing (well as long as you are favor of what is written).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: