Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:09:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Myetherwallet is not really safe  (Read 340 times)
pokxon (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2018, 11:18:59 AM

MythMyEtherWallet warns users of the hacked Hola application
Hola is a free VPN service with over 8 million installs and a 4.9 star rating.

Specifically, the MEW side posted the following on their Twitter:

"URGENT! If you have installed the Hola extension on a Chrome browser and have used your MEW wallet for the last 24 hours, please immediately transfer your funds to a brand new account!

We have received reports that Hola has been hacked for about 5 hours and this attack is to record your activity on MEW. "

I think myetherwallet is not safe, because recently MEW was frequently visited by hackers and the incident four months ago had total 216 ETH stolen after some DNS servers were taken over and controlled. That leads the user to a fake website

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  Guider.travel  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
maremostro

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 11:20:32 AM

Relax bro crypto is in its infancy once blockchain technology goes mainstream there will be plenty of competition so heep hodling be calm and party on
kwusu

Activity: 73

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2018, 11:24:21 AM

Myetherwallet is very safe to me. It is obvious that because of how strong their security is and the safety they want for their provider or customers that is why they have alerted us on this. You know everything on the internet has a threat and is a matter of you the user to be careful and know how to protect your account. Unnecessary adds should be avoided and we should not expose our private keys to anyone.
btc_angela

Activity: 2618
Merit: 542

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 11:25:15 AM

"URGENT! If you have installed the Hola extension on a Chrome browser and have used your MEW wallet for the last 24 hours, please immediately transfer your funds to a brand new account!

We have received reports that Hola has been hacked for about 5 hours and this attack is to record your activity on MEW. "

I think myetherwallet is not safe, because recently MEW was frequently visited by hackers and the incident four months ago had total 216 ETH stolen after some DNS servers were taken over and controlled. That leads the user to a fake website

I don't understand, it is Hola extension that has been exploited to steal your MEW account? So its more of a problem on Hola extension as far as I know. MEW is safe if you know how to protect your account. That's why you have to be very careful and it seems that they are very active in giving us warning. If you are not comfortable using it, then you might want to give other wallets a try. But thanks for the warning though. I don't used Hola extension, btw.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
pokxon (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2018, 11:29:27 AM

Relax bro crypto is in its infancy once blockchain technology goes mainstream there will be plenty of competition so heep hodling be calm and party on
This is news that was posted by Myetherwallet on their twitter. And I want people to discuss it to get opinions on this point. Be relaxed and feel free to discuss.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  Guider.travel  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FreddySelvig

Activity: 125

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 11:35:29 AM

Myetherwallet is a safe wallet if you are vigilant. You do not need to install various services that can affect security and your money will be safely stored. This is also if you say that your laptop is not safe because you installed many programs with viruses Smiley
Mianae

Activity: 798
Merit: 14

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 11:40:09 AM

The issue of use of private key to access MEW will always make it vulnerable to attacks. I think the Blue wallet is more safe to use for now because is only time that will tell what is actually safe and what is not safe.
bartolo

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 11:44:46 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2018, 12:53:54 PM by bartolo

This hack is not related to MEW security nor makes MEW less secure. What has been hacked is a browser extension. What people have to consider is the convenience of installing this type of extensions. Keep in mind that in the same way that hackers have been able to register the activity in MEW, they have been able to register any other activity in the browser. Anyway, you can always use the desktop version of MEW that is more secure.
Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 11:48:08 AM

It's been discussed before, this issue is not the problem of MEW but its a responsibilities of it's users, those last event about hacking is more on the users side, if you are very vigilant and knows how to take care of your tokens/coins you will be able to secure yourself and your investment, knowledge is the number one key factors in order to lessen any chances of being hacked inside the internet.
Zct2002

Activity: 109

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 11:53:30 AM

This is news that was posted by Myetherwallet on their twitter. And I want people to discuss it to get opinions on this point. Be relaxed and feel free to discuss.
If there is an attack on Myetherwallet then it would be a big news here and i am sure that old members will discuss it here and give advise on what to do.
Olatunjex

Activity: 1064
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 11:55:39 AM

The security breach of myetherwallet has been reoccurring but all users must always double check before they go ahead in using it. To be safe i would suggest mycrypto.com as a better alternative.

|     T o n T o g e t h e r     |     Saving Empowers Winning     |
Join Launchpool  >  Jan 10th - Feb 10th
●      T W I T T E R      ●      T E L E G R A M      ●      M E D I U M      ●
quarkyplum

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 11:57:22 AM

There are so many MEW users got hacked but I don't know why my ETH and tokens are still fine until now Smiley. Seem like because you guys use VPN and it's an easy way for hackers to access to your MEW wallet Smiley. For now, you guys just need to use Metamask for MEW so everything will be fine and don't forget to hide your private key at the safest place Wink
market-beta

Activity: 392
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 12:00:37 PM

if in my opinion and some of my senior parks are investing in bitcoin. maytherwallet is included in the secure category gan. because my friends have never lost their assets since investing in bitcoin gan.
wumBowo

Activity: 770
Merit: 298

tozex.io

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2018, 12:05:44 PM

There are so many MEW users got hacked but I don't know why my ETH and tokens are still fine until now Smiley. Seem like because you guys use VPN and it's an easy way for hackers to access to your MEW wallet Smiley. For now, you guys just need to use Metamask for MEW so everything will be fine and don't forget to hide your private key at the safest place Wink
is there any victim during the exploitation on HOLA extensions? i thought it's still on warning

Tozex