Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:13:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is bitcoin falling down?  (Read 1304 times)
HomerS (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 04:08:10 AM

Why is bitcoin falling down?
What price will be bottom?
And will it raise again?

Thank for explanation for newbie.
I´m new in bitcointalk and bitcoin community. I don´t understand many things.
HomerS (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:44:25 AM

Thank you for answers.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:48:20 AM

Your first question may or may not have valid answers. Many things have happened which people will point to as the reason for the drop in the exchange rate. Ultimately it is simply a correction.

The following two are impossible to answer without predicting the future, which I'm sure many people here in the speculation forum will tell you they can do.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:51:09 AM

Snowballing negative sentiment fuelled by the fear over malleability.

Lots of people think mtgox is no better than bitcoinica, or maybe even pirate!

I think the truth is likely far more mundane, but for now nobody knows, and whilst we wait, people act on what they believe...

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 03:33:50 AM

A DDOS coordinated with very large sales of bitcoin drove the prices down.  It was a criminal act.  Many of the people here are in some way complicit in the crime.
Bitcoin creates a lot of opportunities for criminal acts.  The unwillingness of the community to take steps to self-regulate may be the most effective pretext for state regulation.

When the air clears on malleability, the price will probably rise further.  The air is partially clear now.  It will clear further when Gox enables BTC withdrawals.  Many hope for another leg down.  Unless they are conspirators with the DDOS, it is just greedy hope.

This cycle has occurred repeatedly in the past.  The major differences today are the degree of public attention and the amount of economic value involved.  If those differences are not pertinent or sufficient to change the cycle, it will probably continue as in the past, which means that after a period of stagnation the price will skyrocket until profit-taking kills the buzz.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 07:45:11 PM

Thank you for answers.

There is a whole forum and you are asking for a summary, and you want it now.
Here it is:

You're welcome. Sorry for delay.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
bitleif

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:09:46 PM

Because.
Nobody knows.
We don't know but we hope so.
eboard10

Activity: 261

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:32:22 PM

Market sentiment is the driving force behind price movement and a correction always follows a spike. How low will it go before the correcion is over? Wish I had a crystal ball but atm I'm expecting a bottom stable price in the low $400s over the next 1-2 months for Bitstamp. MtGox? I wouldn't want to guess  Grin
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:48:03 PM

Why is bitcoin falling down?
What price will be bottom?
And will it raise again?

Thank for explanation for newbie.
I´m new in bitcointalk and bitcoin community. I don´t understand many things.

Think of it like this.

U are out partying, u are drinking champagne, snorting coke, and banging back the ecstasy pills.

U feel alive and excited, vibrantly high on the positivity of what the future has in store. It is happening, you are taking off, you are going right to the moon.

The effects of the drugs start to wear off, but stay up all night abusing the same substances at a party, you still feel good but it just isn't the same as earlier.

The next day, you have a bit of a headache, but you had a good night and work isn't until Monday.

Monday comes, you are pretty blue, but not too bad.

By Tuesday and even worse by Wednesday, the feel good chemicals in your brain are at their lowest ebb, as your body seeks to restore equilibrium to the hyper indulgent massive drug fuelled serotonin bursts from your weekend's partying. All your great plans, all the hopes for your glittery future, the excitement of lifting off and never coming back down, the excessive positivity you felt for yourself and everyone around, is at this point in the time, in the ditch. It all now just seems so empty and meaningless, that you wonder what all the fuss was about and if there was ever any point in it all.

Thursday, you are feeling a bit better.

Friday comes and you are actually feeling pretty good.

On Saturday, you decide to go out partying again.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
faiza1990

Activity: 420

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:50:37 PM

no body can give you clear answers of all these questions I can say its falling again and again is just mostly because of speculations around this bitcoin Smiley

yrtrnc

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:59:48 PM

Since you are new, think of it like this. 2 years ago you had to multiply a bitcoin by a 1000 to get a pizza. Now you have to divide a bitcoin by a 100 to get a pizza.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 10:01:28 PM

Since you are new, think of it like this. 2 years ago you had to multiply a bitcoin by a 1000 to get a pizza. Now you have to divide a bitcoin by a 100 to get a pizza.

No. 2 months ago, you would have to divide a bitcoin by 100 to get a pizza. Today, you would have to divide it by just 50.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 10:04:05 PM

Because markets do other than what mere mortals expect them to do. It's actually quite healthy to see price going down while good news is emerging, it's a powerful sign of consolidation where hopefully the innovation and creation put forth during a period of falling value indicates faith by participants leading to a foundation to support future increases in value. Or so the theory goes.

Also, because Bitcoin! After a bit more experience dealing with it, you'll start to get a feel for what I'm saying. Our wonderful Honey badger of a currency don't give a fuck.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3919

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 10:10:28 PM

No. 2 months ago, you would have to divide a bitcoin by 100 to get a pizza. Today, you would have to divide it by just 50.

So, don't get pizza, use pizza money to buy moar bitcoin, LOL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: