Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:25:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are criminals stealing electricity to mine bitcoins yet?  (Read 4102 times)
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 05:37:10 PM

I am really quite shocked to not hear of any criminals doing this.

why would they advertise?

One example:

http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/208193084

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phishken

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 05:53:06 PM

First off only stupid pot growers steal electricity.

Secondly, growing pot is far far more work than running a bitcoin farm.

You have to start seeds, or maintain mothers.  You have to clone - prepare plants for flower.  This alone with roots and good growth can take 3 weeks to a month.   Plants need watered constantly.  Even a very automated hydroponic system needs water and nutrients topped off every other day.  There is always work to be done.  I'd say a 4000w system to keep running no with interuptions between crops you are looking at 2 hours a day of work.  Then once the harvest comes in, I'd say at least very minumum 24 hours of trimming work.  A week of drying then more work preparing for sale.   Not to mention the complete cleaning of the grow space between crops, more hours of work.

Heat from a garden is way more than a mining rig will ever think of being.  Then you have to dispose of the heat.  Try dealing with 4000w in the middle of summer   Shocked

A professional gardener will make so much more with cannabis than with a bitcoin farm.   A professional grower will be doing 1.5lbs per 1000w and most pros will have 3000-4000w minimum.   So 4-6lbs every 60 days.  Retail in my area for high end dank $400/oz x 64oz (4lbs) = $25,000 every 60 days on the low end.

Gardening is a labor of love and for a professional it is a very lucrative endeavor.   I'd still be at it if it wasn't for a few douchebags with badges.
bitcola (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 06:01:19 PM

That is not true.

Many serious, large-scale growers steal electricity.

Whether it's a Vietnamese criminal gang operating out of a house in the UK or one of the best Dutch growers using a cavity inside a highway bridge lined with electricity cables, both will steal their electricity. Both are highly profitable. Neither is stupid.

A professional gardener will make so much more with cannabis than with a bitcoin farm.   A professional grower will be doing 1.5lbs per 1000w and most pros will have 3000-4000w minimum.   So 4-6lbs every 60 days.  Retail in my area for high end dank $400/oz x 64oz (4lbs) = $25,000 every 60 days on the low end.

Gardening is a labor of love and for a professional it is a very lucrative endeavor.   I'd still be at it if it wasn't for a few douchebags with badges.

Thanks for this insight. Now we need a comparison on a per unit space basis to compare like for like. By the way, retail is not really a good figure to use seeing as serious growers would get rid of it for less to dealers, instead of dealing it themselves. Is that factored into your price (I'm unfamiliar with weed prices wherever you live).

Big Time Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 11:07:56 PM

Mining is more heat and more power than growing.  4000W is nothing.  you are looking at about 1 watt per megash, cooling included, total of 10-15 kw for 15 gigahash, which is about the most you can get out of a residential service if you still want to live in the house. 

It is a lot less labor, and it is legal.  Stealing power would not make any sense because that is crossing the line into breaking the law.  If a miner wanted to break the law, there are far more profitable things he could do as a criminal than mine bitcoins.  Aside from getting caught, you could kill yourself by electrocution trying to steal power.  Boy, wouldn't that make you feel stupid.  Oh wait, you wouldn't feel anything.  Instantaneous complete nervous system overload and shutdown.

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 02:23:38 AM

.... any modern power company they can tell down to the transformer how much power is being used.

Uhm, link?  I searched and found nothing that would substantiate this claim.
Rarity

Activity: 182

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 02:45:25 AM

The power companies should just mine themselves with any excess capacity.  In areas where the government runs the grid that might even be a nice way to fund social welfare programs with what otherwise would have just been wasted power.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 03:37:37 AM

Very good points, especially from wisdomtool.

I think we will see it happen. Not just anyone can write and launch the code for a botnet. These things tend to be done in the developing world where they are less easily caught by Western authorities.

Your typical criminal gang in the West may not want to risk getting tracked like that. They prefer to stay further under the radar. Furthermore, they may lack the contacts if they don't have the programming expertise.

Your average Joe has no idea how to set up a mining rig but it's a damn site easier learning curve to do it than to program a botnet.

And given the potential profits from it, perhaps it won't be long before we see it happen.

Can any growers give an idea of the yield from a grow on a space basis? Doesn't each plant give a few ounces or something? And how much could that be sold for if you wanted to get rid of your crop quickly and not sell it in small amounts?

Has to do with a lot of things...plant number, who is growing it...but I have heard it's mostly dependent on number of lights.  Most indoor people I have heard say 1lb/1000w light is doing good.  There are so many variables though...type of setup, care, fertilizer...the list continues.  One power outage at the right time throws off your light cycle and can ruin a whole crop.  Insect control is a major issue also.  Smell, humidity, heat...sounds like a total nightmare to me.

Then you have to sell it too...not worth my time.  I know many people who have tried for years and nobody is rich (or even well off) yet.

Seriously?  Then you don't know many people.  Its the #1 cash crop in all 50 states. 

#1 cash crop says  nothing to me...I don't know any rich farmers of any kind personally.
phishken

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 12:01:25 AM

That is not true.

Many serious, large-scale growers steal electricity.

Whether it's a Vietnamese criminal gang operating out of a house in the UK or one of the best Dutch growers using a cavity inside a highway bridge lined with electricity cables, both will steal their electricity. Both are highly profitable. Neither is stupid.

Yes pros do steal power but I still think it is a risk that is not needed.

Someone should contact all the online cannabis seed companies and let them know about bitcoin.  An anonymous payment service has been needed for a long time.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: