Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:17:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE, short one] Alt-currency Tenebrix now also traded  (Read 3196 times)
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 11:23:01 PM

I wish i had 7million bricks to dump at 0.001

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 12:50:53 AM

There must be buyers for 7mil Brix to sell them!
The market isn't quite big enough yet for that!

grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 03:13:28 AM

You can!  Just fork the bitcoin code, tweak a few parameters, come up with a catchy name, announce it on the alt currencies and speculation board.  Heck, give the btce guys a chunk of your premine (go with 20 mil, why not the first 20 years of mining head start?) and you might be listed on an exchange day 1 and cashed out by the end of the week.

This alt chain nonsense won't stop until people hopping on the freshest pyramid like it was the newest block at a proportional pool get burned to a crisp in less than 24 hours.   The current "weeks" is too long, IMO.

As far as how much premine is enough -- well.  The OP clearly feels that 6 years worth is enough.   I might feel that 24 years worth might be better.  Others think simply being the earliest of the earliest adopters on an even playing field with others is enough.  All I know is this is every shitcoin is coming out with a more and more egregious pyramid attached, and while I'm glad for the bonus free bitcoins I feel a bit sorry for "investors."  Too bad, I believe this particular algorithm holds promise.  I'm a bit upset the OP has soiled it for everyone though.
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 05:21:05 AM

Good idea, I think my new chain will have 1000Billion pre-mined,
and first million adopters will receive 1 million coins each. get ready to sign up yo!

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Lolcust (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:38:47 AM
Last edit: October 03, 2011, 08:06:13 AM by Lolcust

and first million adopters will receive 1 million coins each. get ready to sign up yo!

Just a word of advice - add some specialsauce, like super-fast blocks and escrow transactions, or GPU-hostility.

Also, IIRC you can't have more than 130-something billions in a chain  Cry

Too bad, I believe this particular algorithm holds promise.  I'm a bit upset the OP has soiled it for everyone though.

Since I think local denizens are smart not to play with anything but beer change on alt currencies less than a week old, and since there is not much difference between market effects of me trying to cash out on TBX market and some of the "unmoving bitcoin masses" trying to cash out on bitcoin market (with the notable exception that my stash you can trivially watch with blockexplorer, and trivially beat it to the exit due to the fact that your TBX on exchange don't have to accumulate confirmations, while  the "dead but dreaming" masses of bitcoins are too diverse and disperse, making them harder to monitor), the only people I "soiled" it for are people with a certain kind of "sportslike ethics".

I really have a hard time understanding competition as it operates in sports (and the whole field of professional sports altogether), and even harder time grokking people who ascribe sports-competitive properties to processes pertaining to bizarre not-quite-really-money spawned through eldritch mathematications.
To those people, all I can say is "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you"

This alt chain nonsense won't stop until people hopping on the freshest pyramid like it was the newest block at a proportional pool get burned to a crisp in less than 24 hours.   The current "weeks" is too long, IMO.

Actually, no, the sheer time it took ixcoin (and its i0 cousin) to sorta (notreally?) die suggests that alt-chains dying and breeding has little to do with their design originality or presence of authorial cashout.

Ixcoin live(d? s?) long past its creator cashed out and stopped giving a damn.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 08:57:50 AM

Best idea ever !!!

1. Make alternate chain with huge premine
2. Wait until you can cash out
3. Huh
4. PROFIT
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 09:26:30 AM

Well, absence of cash-out on my part in both TBX and GEG is backed by blockexplorer.

Your claims are backed by...um... Huh ... nothing.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 04:13:56 PM

I don't understand all the sentiment against GPU mining, FPGA mining, and mining in general.

Mining (by any pseudo-anonymous party) keeps the currency network secure, and free from central control.

The way Tenebrix is set up, wouldn't the only big players in the mining sector be those that could afford super-specialized hardware?  Or am I understanding this the opposite of its intention -- that the only real mining hardware supported in Tenebrix is commonplace CPUs?

Because the more proprietary and costly hardware becomes for effective mining, the more the larger percentage of mining will fall into the hands of few people which equates to eventual monopoly or central control.

If you keep the hardware selection rather wide (as it is with Bitcoin), it is a good idea IMO to severely limit the total coin supply -- this seems to me to be in place to directly address the problem of eventual monopoly over the network.  I think the idea is that by the time any entity gets the necessary hardware organized for monopolization, all the coins will be in circulation and then currency holders will simply subdivide and lower costs of goods / services.  This is where deflation comes in?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Frozenace

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 04:39:27 PM

Actually it shouldn't matter if someone figures out how to use FPGAs or GPUs to mine tenebrix. The faster the network goes, the higher the difficulty, unless someone fairbrixes tenebrix, haha.

In 2 years time, if Moore's law continues, CPU speed will double anyway, thus driving difficulty upwards?

Isn't the algorithm supposed to generate 1 block every 5 minutes => 7200 bricks/day ?

At current prices of 0.0016 btc / tbx that's just over 4200 btc per year... which in the big scheme is nothing.

Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 05:37:41 PM

The way Tenebrix is set up, wouldn't the only big players in the mining sector be those that could afford super-specialized hardware?  Or am I understanding this the opposite of its intention -- that the only real mining hardware supported in Tenebrix is commonplace CPUs?

No, you're somewhat thinking on a price-abstracted level, that's the "pwoblem"

Let's see... Imagine a Tenebrix specialized mining device that costs Y dollars (just making custom gadgetry, not to consider the R&D costs) and outperforms, let's say, an i7-based rig by a factor of 100.

However, an i7 rig costs 0.0001Y. Thus, ceteris paribus, the dude with Specialized Mining Device would be inferior since his box is so damn expensive.

CPUs are cheap due to economies of scales involved in their production, which imposes a  combination of maximum price / minimum Performance Increase Factor any other device must have to compete.

So far, there is only family of semi-specialized gadgetry that might have the "right" combination of price and performance  that hypothetically might make them a bit better at TBX that CPUs are APUs which are basically "angry CPUs on horse  GPU steroids".

Also, you may accuse me of any number of things, but "miner hostility is not one of them"  - if anything, you can run TBX on the CPU of your GPU-mining rig at idle priority, thus mining both TBX and any GPU-coin at the same time. TBX literally puts a miner in your miner so you can mine while you mine.

Because the more proprietary and costly hardware becomes for effective mining, the more the larger percentage of mining will fall into the hands of few people which equates to eventual monopoly or central control.

See above

Also, consider this - CPUs GPUs and FPGAs all have uses outside mining TBX so should you quit mining, you can sell them.

Dedicated custom-designed TBX cruncher will be almost useless at anything else, making economic prospects of dedicated TBX mining devices even more unsound.

If you keep the hardware selection rather wide (as it is with Bitcoin), it is a good idea IMO to severely limit the total coin supply -- this seems to me to be in place to directly address the problem of eventual monopoly over the network.  I think the idea is that by the time any entity gets the necessary hardware organized for monopolization, all the coins will be in circulation and then currency holders will simply subdivide and lower costs of goods / services.  This is where deflation comes in?

I think you confuse problem of monopolization of coin supply (and bitcoin supply is already oligopolistic, with about 5-7 pools running all the show) and the issue of (not really sorta-kinda) deflation which is another can of worms.

Actually it shouldn't matter if someone figures out how to use FPGAs or GPUs to mine tenebrix. The faster the network goes, the higher the difficulty, unless someone fairbrixes tenebrix, haha.

The appeal of TBX is that you are likely to be able to get quite some by using the spare cycles your mining rig is just wasting while you mine other coins, your employer's equipment which is far more likely to be CPU-dominated and not GPU-dominated, and your PS-3 which might be somewhere around a high-end Phenom CPU in terms of Tenebrix prowess.

And yes, TBX adoption is intended to be sperad-out among a greater number of smaller, CPU-loving devices, and not relatively rare and expensive GPU-centric machines or some lab-borne exotica.

Fortunately, current state of affair is that the majority of specialized TBX equipment would be economically unsound.

Feed the Lolcust!
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 05:54:59 PM

if anything, you can run TBX on the CPU of your GPU-mining rig at idle priority, thus mining both TBX and any GPU-coin at the same time. TBX literally puts a miner in your miner so you can mine while you mine.

Great idea -- good thing I opted for a Athlon 2 instead of a Sempron in my mining rig :-D

I think you confuse problem of monopolization of coin supply (and bitcoin supply is already oligopolistic, with about 5-7 pools running all the show) and the issue of (not really sorta-kinda) deflation which is another can of worms.

I was just alluding to a small money supply leading to deflation.  I assume deflation to be a good thing, but I suppose some would disagree.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:16:17 PM

if anything, you can run TBX on the CPU of your GPU-mining rig at idle priority, thus mining both TBX and any GPU-coin at the same time. TBX literally puts a miner in your miner so you can mine while you mine.

Great idea -- good thing I opted for a Athlon 2 instead of a Sempron in my mining rig :-D

Maybe I should put "we put a miner in your miner so you can mine while you mine" somewhere on the site ?

I was just alluding to a small money supply leading to deflation.  I assume deflation to be a good thing, but I suppose some would disagree.

The thing with x-flation arguments in bitcoin/altcoins is that what (would eventually happen) to BTC isn't real deflation, and isn't even "monetary" deflation in the way it usually happened in history.

Also, classical economic arguments simply cannot apply because bit-coinomy (and x-coinomy) isn't a proper "autonomous" State economy, but is a kind of thing that dwells inside State economies and "in places between them".

BTW, since the amount of criticism I receive for removing the upper coin generation limits is about twice the amount I receive for premine (I just on principle no longer read PMs and emails that have words inflation/deflation in them because quite frankly I feel like I'm trying to generate proof of work based on re-iteration of same arguments), I am thinking of tweaking TBX and GEG in a manner that it will have an additional "pseudo-deflationary" factor without cutting miner subsidies (principles are principles)

P.S.:
Also, monopolization (or at least, stronger oligopolization) of supply is virtually guaranteed to lead to increase in per-coin price irrespective of whether there is an upper "production ceiling" or not

Feed the Lolcust!
bulanula

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:21:31 PM

Quote from: Lolcust
P.S.:
Also, monopolization (or at least, stronger oligopolization) of supply is virtually guaranteed to lead to increase in per-coin price.

So you are looking to cash out soon I assume ?
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:25:27 PM

P.S.:
Also, monopolization (or at least, stronger oligopolization) of supply is virtually guaranteed to lead to increase in per-coin price.

No.

I intend to start a huge abstract-quasi-value-token "laundry" (aka Geist and Brix Transaction History Exchange Society) , which would be quite unprecedented at this scale. I would also like to implement it in a fairly innovative manner, but that I can't say much about yet (Unlike certain someone, I only make claims I know for certain to be at least theoretically possible)

Feed the Lolcust!
bulanula

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:30:16 PM

P.S.:

No.

I intend to start a huge abstract-quasi-value-token "laundry" (aka Geist and Brix Transaction History Exchange Society) , which would be quite unprecedented at this scale. I also plan to implement it in a fairly innovative manner, but that I can't promise (Unlike certain someone, I only make claims I know for certain to be at least theoretically possible)

This. Would raise the price of TBX to hundreds ! Much more than BTC. Let us all be honest, the point of these currencies : they are begging for some illegal activity coming their way. Little use for normal people like you and me but huge use for nefarious purposes. Bring on the moneyzzz  Grin !!!
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:39:56 PM

I am a graphic designer, not a cop or a judge, so I cannot assess the legality of activities of my future service's users, especially relative to laws of jurisdictions I have never been to, and never will.

I do however think that the unique position of launching a "neo-coin" grants one the ability to procure a huge mass of coins and forever lock them in a huge "relatively clean coin buffer" for just such a service, and operate said service in a manner that nominally, that mass of coins remains out of market proper forever.
Such set-up would allow the "laundry" to guarantee the client that they will never receive "their own" coins from the service, that the coins they get will always have a history completely unbound from their preceding activities.

I believe opportunity for creation of such a service to be unique and far more worthy than "premining a reasonabl-ish amount and/or leveraging first-adopter privilege, then cashing out"

P.S.:
Also, good sir, I can handle being accused of various unwholesome things - my hide is thick, but by insinuating that I am "normal people", you have insulted me greatly.

Feed the Lolcust!
grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:40:37 PM

All of the reasons to do tenebrix apply to fairbrix and solidcoin2.  So, why get on a chain with 6 years worth of mining awarded to one person?  I'm positive bitcoin wouldn't be where it is today had Satoshi simply given himself a six year bonus upfront.

Also, I'm unconvinced the algorithm is not viable on a GPU.  It seems to scale with clock rate of my CPU and number of GPUs.  Just like a normal bitcoin miner.  I'll look further this weekend but first impression is it should run well enough on GPU -- it's just that nobody has ported the C code to OpenCL yet.
bulanula

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:43:55 PM

I am a graphic designer, not a cop or a judge, so I cannot assess the legality of activities of my future service's users, especially relative to laws of jurisdictions I have never been to, and never will.

I do however think that the unique position of launching a "neo-coin" grants one the ability to procure a huge mass of coins and forever lock them in a huge "relatively clean coin buffer" for just such a service, and operate said service in a manner that nominally, that mass of coins remains out of market proper forever.
Such set-up would allow the "laundry" to guarantee the client that they will never receive "their own" coins from the service, that the coins they get will always have a history completely unbound from their preceding activities.

I believe opportunity for creation of such a service to be unique and far more worthy than "premining a reasonabl-ish amount and/or leveraging first-adopter privilege, then cashing out"

P.S.:
Also, good sir, I can handle being accused of various unwholesome things - my hide is thick, but by insinuating that I am "normal people", you have insulted me greatly.

Please roll this laundry service ASAP because that is what we need to get the value high enough etc. !!! Cannot wait for tenebrix to reach 100 usd !!
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:44:30 PM

All of the reasons to do tenebrix apply to fairbrix and solidcoin2.  So, why get on a chain with 6 years worth of mining awarded to one person?  I'm positive bitcoin wouldn't be where it is today had Satoshi simply given himself a six year bonus upfront.

Well, did Satoshi intend to launch a huge transaction-mixer ?

Also, he didn't give it to himself upfront but got it nonetheless - not that anyone should give a fuck because unless he's batshit loco, he has a vested interest in not crashing BTC market.

Also, I'm unconvinced the algorithm is not viable on a GPU.  It seems to scale with clock rate of my CPU and number of GPUs.  Just like a normal bitcoin miner.  I'll look further this weekend but first impression is it should run well enough on GPU -- it's just that nobody has ported the C code to OpenCL yet.

Dear sweet Cthulhu in the sea, we have a whole thread about how does TBX behave on GPUs in the alt. forum.
Please discuss it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45849.0

Feed the Lolcust!
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:46:50 PM

Please roll this laundry service ASAP because that is what we need to get the value high enough etc. !!! Cannot wait for tenebrix to reach 100 usd !!

I am currently standing by for some expert feedback, then, should it turn out to be in the "can be done with crypto already used in x-coins" range, I will publish a very general raw description for people to poke holes in. After that, I will need some code power

BTW, the laundry will be opensource, so people who so desire will be able to roll a BTC one (though of course, they won't have a huge-arse buffer to guarantee "history unbinding")

Feed the Lolcust!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: