Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:29:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is bitcoin more likely to rise and stay above $1,000 or go and stay below $500?
More likely to rise and stay above $1,000 - 102 (66.7%)
more likely to FALL and stay below $500? - 51 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 153

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin more likely to rise about $1,000 or go and stay below $500?  (Read 3514 times)
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 06:36:11 PM

MatTheCat has a point about the wall of buyers stacked up - though looking back there are suddenly more sellers on the other side now, too.

I was indeed only being 'facetious'.

When the market is stationary relative to the mass of buy and sell orders, trust the Bid/Ask walls like you would trust a fox to guard a chicken coop.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
njcarlos

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 06:36:32 PM

I think Matt was being facetious.
Heh, yeah, when isn't he? Tongue
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 06:54:31 PM

Run me through the psychology of that?

MatTheCat has a point about the wall of buyers stacked up - though looking back there are suddenly more sellers on the other side now, too.

I was indeed only being 'facetious'.

When the market is stationary relative to the mass of buy and sell orders, trust the Bid/Ask walls like you would trust a fox to guard a chicken coop.

frank754

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:38:27 PM

Time goes more slowly when you spend so much time in front of the computer waiting for the price to rise. This mini-crisis has only been around for about a week. Right now, even though pushing the low 600's USD, I see the bottom end just about where it is now, and hopefully it will push up again to the upper 600's in a day or so. I don't see it breaking 700 in the next few days, but give it 2-3 weeks I see a very good chance of 800 again. That should get the ball rolling. Tough times require patience. As for the long term, it would be nice to see a steady rise, maybe $1100 by May 1? I wouldn't bet on it though, not until we see what happens in the next couple of weeks.
igorr

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:42:20 PM

Time goes more slowly when you spend so much time in front of the computer waiting for the price to rise. This mini-crisis has only been around for about a week. Right now, even though pushing the low 600's USD, I see the bottom end just about where it is now, and hopefully it will push up again to the upper 600's in a day or so. I don't see it breaking 700 in the next few days, but give it 2-3 weeks I see a very good chance of 800 again. That should get the ball rolling. Tough times require patience. As for the long term, it would be nice to see a steady rise, maybe $1100 by May 1? I wouldn't bet on it though, not until we see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

457 usd at gox !!!

Cлaвьcя, Oтeчecтвo нaшe cвoбoднoe,
Бpaтcкиx нapoдoв coюз вeкoвoй,
Пpeдкaми дaннaя мyдpocть нapoднaя!
Cлaвьcя, cтpaнa! Mы гopдимcя тoбoй!
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 02:07:24 AM

The psychology of Liar walls?

To affect investor psychology of course. At the time I made my previous post, Bitcoin was at $650? Perhaps if a holder of Bitcoin were stupid enough to trust the huge Bid wall, he would look at the thousands of BTC of orders standing in between the then current $650 and a mere $20 - $30 drop and think that he was safe and that he didn't need to sell. He may then look at the comparatively shallow Ask wall, and think, "gee, with all this buying interest piling up I had better get me some $650 Bitcoin whilst I still can".

Now that we are at $590, and probably much lower by the time you read this, perhaps you can see why an investor shouldn't place too much faith in what the Bid/Ask wall is telling him about the market conditions.

These walls need not be 'liar walls' as such, they may be genuine in that there are forces out there with much more to lose than the nominal value of thier crypto holdings if Bitcoin goes dramatically down. There might be huge sums of money being put into these walls that will really stand and absorb any dump that comes it's way, without attempting to immediately liquidate at the next best opportunity that comes along. But the fact that we have this one bullish indicator (the huge Bid volume across all exchanges), in amongst a shit-storm of bearish indicators and sentiment, should tell you not to make any Bitcoin decision based on what the Wall is telling you.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 08:43:57 AM

The psychology of Liar walls?

To affect investor psychology of course. At the time I made my previous post, Bitcoin was at $650? Perhaps if a holder of Bitcoin were stupid enough to trust the huge Bid wall, he would look at the thousands of BTC of orders standing in between the then current $650 and a mere $20 - $30 drop and think that he was safe and that he didn't need to sell. He may then look at the comparatively shallow Ask wall, and think, "gee, with all this buying interest piling up I had better get me some $650 Bitcoin whilst I still can".

Now that we are at $590, and probably much lower by the time you read this, perhaps you can see why an investor shouldn't place too much faith in what the Bid/Ask wall is telling him about the market conditions.

These walls need not be 'liar walls' as such, they may be genuine in that there are forces out there with much more to lose than the nominal value of thier crypto holdings if Bitcoin goes dramatically down. There might be huge sums of money being put into these walls that will really stand and absorb any dump that comes it's way, without attempting to immediately liquidate at the next best opportunity that comes along. But the fact that we have this one bullish indicator (the huge Bid volume across all exchanges), in amongst a shit-storm of bearish indicators and sentiment, should tell you not to make any Bitcoin decision based on what the Wall is telling you.

Ok, misunderstood what you were saying (or, at least, the exact way in which you were being facetious).
Bid walls aren't a reliable indicator that the market is going to do the opposite of what they suggest on the surface of it - they're an apparent indicator that isn't reliable in any sense? Of course, if there were any really reliable indicators, the market would take that into account and do something different...
Makes me wish I hadn't sold my house and bought at $640 though.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: