Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:07:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does mining require port forwarding?/What causes these two errors?  (Read 3251 times)
pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 12:24:09 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2011, 01:15:18 AM by pekv2

As stated in the title, Does mining require port forwarding? What causes these two errors?

Also, should the port that is being used for mining be manually opened in Comodo free firewall?

I am trying to accomplish elimination of these two errors below

Code:
Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC
long poll: IO error

The errors occur in the Console Tab of GUIMiner.

I believe it is on my end as I tried two different pools in amount of 12 hours each, I received these two errors countless times.

I am a generous donator/tipper. Please don't foul up my thread if you don't have a solution, or use unnecessary comments that will not help, thank you.

Modem: Motorola SB6120
Router: Linksys E4200
Windows 7 x64 Service pack 1.
Catalyst 11.8
GUIMiner - v2001-08-24 poclbm Flags -v -w128 -f 25
Sapphire 5830 @ 1015 Mhz Core, 300Mhz Memory.
XFX 5830 @ 1015 Mhz Core, 600Mhz Memory.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 08:08:34 PM

Bump, anyone?
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 08:11:16 PM

i haven't had to port forward my miners, but i don't use that firewall, with any firewall you're going to have to open the ports the miners are using

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 08:31:16 PM

i haven't had to port forward my miners, but i don't use that firewall, with any firewall you're going to have to open the ports the miners are using

I just wanted to be clear as I opened them last night, on my router and software firewall, I am still receiving the errors.

Any advice you would recommend? Any advice from anyone else?

Thanks for replying Deslok Smiley.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 04:28:38 AM

I am guessing this is normal? I've been racking my brain all day reading post after post of this problem & using google search and no one found a fix/why it happens/nothing. I cannot find an explanation why this even occurs, if I did, I might be able to fix the problem, not. But it would be nice to know what it even means.

I've even read somewhere, where some person had the same problems, and tried on two different OS's, windows & linux, different pools, and still received the exact same errors.

Could this be a result of my ISP? In the meantime, I goes bonkers!
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 04:39:55 AM

I just wanted to be clear as I opened them last night, on my router and software firewall, I am still receiving the errors.

Any advice you would recommend? Any advice from anyone else?

Thanks for replying Deslok Smiley.

I'll have to check my miners consoles tonight but i don't remember seeing that error, if i did it must not impact anything other than being an irritaion

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 09:42:07 AM

I'll have to check my miners consoles tonight but i don't remember seeing that error, if i did it must not impact anything other than being an irritaion

Alright, cool. Appreciate it.

Here is a log for you or anyone that might be interested, kinda too long to post in here, and this is only for 2 hours.

http://pastebin.com/kEuVh07A
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 03:25:02 AM

I'm leaning towards internet connection!

-It happens on multiple pools, at random times, even after a period of connectivity.
-others aren't having the same problem at said pools

These two things say it's not the pool, and the first one also says you have things set up properly to mine...when it's working!

Check your ping and run trace route to your pool! Try this!

If you have serious lag during certain (Peak?) times of the day, or many "hops" in your connection to the pool server, it could have a negative impact, causing latency in submitting shares, or even timing out due to slow connection.

pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 04:48:03 AM

I'm leaning towards internet connection!

-It happens on multiple pools, at random times, even after a period of connectivity.
-others aren't having the same problem at said pools

These two things say it's not the pool, and the first one also says you have things set up properly to mine...when it's working!

Check your ping and run trace route to your pool! Try this!

If you have serious lag during certain (Peak?) times of the day, or many "hops" in your connection to the pool server, it could have a negative impact, causing latency in submitting shares, or even timing out due to slow connection.

ISP package isn't bad but it is compared to other countries. I've got a 2.0 MB/s download & 400 KB/s upload package.

Also the cable modem is a docsis 3.0 compliant and is enabled with my ISP if this matters at all.

But Slush and I spoke, something most highly is cutting out long living connection. modem/router/8 port hub, win7.

For the first 20-30 minutes it goes fine, then I get nailed with Long Pool: IO Errors & rejected.
Slush explained the reason for rejects, because of the LP error and then LP errors most highly is happening because long living connection is getting cut.

All explained here > https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1976.msg556444#msg556444

I am mining regular, LP disabled. It is running fantastic, I get like 4 stales out a few thousand shares. Wish I could say the same for LPing.

Tonight or tomorrow, I am gonna hard wire my pc directly to the modem, do some LPing, I'd like to pin point the problem.

Thanks for the traceroute link, I will use it.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 03:24:12 AM

Alright guys, thanks a bunch.

All donations have been sent out!

Haven't had time to troubleshoot today, will be troubleshooting sometime this week.

I will post the cause if I find it.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 05:04:24 AM

Try removing your hub and router (just as a test).  Connect one rig directly to the modem and run it for an hour (or however long it usually takes for the problem to occur).  If the problem goes away my guess is that it is your router.  Your router is killing/dropping /corrupting the long poll connection. 

The good news is if the problem goes away the fix is easy just get a newer/better router.  Buy somewhere w/ good return policy in case you have to try a couple.

If the problem persists then it may just be something to do w/ your ISP (or anything up the chain between your modem and internet backbone) and sadly outside your ability to fix.    At my old house when it would rain sometimes my internet connection would get real bad (lots of dropped packets).  I ended up plugging my modem (connected to UPS battery) into the cable box (junction of all cable lines for neighborhood) which happened to be in my backyard.  Problem persisted there which told me it was something in the coax network.  Maybe a bad splice, or water dripping onto a circuit somewhere.  Problem happened like clockwork for 6 months.  Then one day it went away.  Likely the cable company never figured it out they just happened to fix/replace the component by luck and resolved the issue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: