Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 01:40:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2FA - Print QR Code  (Read 2100 times)
seafarer124 (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 12:07:09 PM

Can you, and is it a good idea to print the 2FA QR code before you scan and add to your phone?

I am always concerned if your phone is lost you will not be able to access sites that 2FA has been activated.  A bit worrying if you have quite a large sum of money locked up and no way to access.

If you print prior to scanning you would have a copy of the QR code to add to a new phone.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 12:09:18 PM

You should always backup your 2FA code in some way, either the QR code or the alphanumeric code.

The process I use these days is to print the page showing the QR code and then scan the print with my phone to add it to my authenticator-app. This ensures that the print is good enough before I store it away.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 12:10:09 PM

Sure, why not? Print the QR code or write down the passcode. Either way, keep the printout safe and secure!
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 12:23:17 PM

Can you, and is it a good idea to print the 2FA QR code before you scan and add to your phone?

I am always concerned if your phone is lost you will not be able to access sites that 2FA has been activated.  A bit worrying if you have quite a large sum of money locked up and no way to access.

If you print prior to scanning you would have a copy of the QR code to add to a new phone.

It is a good idea. Always have several back ups of your stuff.
amulet

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 07:18:59 AM

qr barcode generator for printing qr code image
NEM minnow

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:21:29 AM

Some people might not like Authy, but it gives me 2FA across multiple devices.  I feel a lot more secure knowing my 2FA is backed up. 
aeternum.in

Activity: 48

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:26:40 AM

Some people might not like Authy, but it gives me 2FA across multiple devices.  I feel a lot more secure knowing my 2FA is backed up. 

I don't like how when I sign into coinbase it automatically pops up on my phone. If a thief were to somehow get ahold of it, it's like having a guard dog say, "This way! the backdoors unlocked!"
NEM minnow

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:02:17 AM

I don't like how when I sign into coinbase it automatically pops up on my phone. If a thief were to somehow get ahold of it, it's like having a guard dog say, "This way! the backdoors unlocked!"

Your right.  But still... my password for coinbase is known only to me and isn't stored on my computer.  I am worried about somehow a hacker getting it through malware or some other clever hacker attack I can't see.

If I didn't have 2FA, then my money would be gone, just like that.   

But with 2FA through Authy, they have to hack my password, and then physically steal my phone.  I might not know that my password is compromised, but I will definitely notice if my phone goes missing. 

I will admit, it is not a perfect system and if I had millions of dollars in bitcoin instead of a couple of thousand, I wouldn't use it.  But for as little as I have, I am can feel safe.
mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:57:19 PM

I am always concerned if your phone is lost you will not be able to access sites that 2FA has been activated.  A bit worrying if you have quite a large sum of money locked up and no way to access

I've printed my wallet two times, One i keep hidden in the "piggy bank" and the other under my pc screen, also I have a a qr pic on my pc. You can never be too careful.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:04:25 PM

What if you took a screenshot from the PC and print it, am I wrong ?

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
MelodyRowell

Activity: 394

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:06:17 PM

Yes, thats what you should always do incase you lost your phone. Also email a copy to yourself.
NEM minnow

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:36:36 PM

What if you took a screenshot from the PC and print it, am I wrong ?

Before I got Authy, I use to take a screen shot.  I would then encrypt the file with the picture in it and store it in multiple locations.  I had guessed that would work, but I didn't ever try it and so I can not confirm. 
s1ng
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 05:34:12 AM

Recently i have lost 2FA code on my poloniex exchange  Cry
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 12:54:02 AM

Yes, thats what you should always do incase you lost your phone. Also email a copy to yourself.

It should be noted that this "paper copy" of you 2FA should be treated like a password.
codycook

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 03:07:15 AM

Good question.I think it's a good idea to print the 2FA QR code before you read the qrcode and add it to your phone.
I think it's better to make our own back up by printing the displayed activation and QR codes on paper and keeping them safe.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 03:50:32 AM

It's good to have backups. I just got a new phone. I had some on Authy and some on google authenticator. The google authenticator ones were lost causing a lot of trouble with customer service. The Authy ones were on my new phone.

Whether you keep the security only in your hands with Google and paper backups, or in a third parties hands with Authy, it's important to have those back ups.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 06:18:35 AM

It's good to have backups. I just got a new phone. I had some on Authy and some on google authenticator. The google authenticator ones were lost causing a lot of trouble with customer service. The Authy ones were on my new phone.

Whether you keep the security only in your hands with Google and paper backups, or in a third parties hands with Authy, it's important to have those back ups.

So do you prefer Authy over Gauth?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: