Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:38:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible for me to get screwed here?  (Read 799 times)
luv2drnkbr (OP)

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 09:47:31 AM

So I got a PM from a guy wanting to sell me bitcoins and I send him Paypal.  His e-mail is from the Philipines, and based on the time stamps, he created his account 20 min before he PM'd me, put up 6 small dummy posts, and then PM'd me offering to sell.  Obviously this is scammy, but my question is not "is this legit"... my question is "am I protected?"

Can I somehow get in trouble for sending Paypal money to somebody if they have a bad reputation?  Is there some other way I can get screwed?

He has offered to send first, and wait for a few confirmations before I send $$.  I may still not do it because I don't really like helping obvious criminals, but then again, I am at the point in my life where I may decide I don't care where the btc came from.  I don't know.

Obviously, if there's a chance I get caught up in something bad, I 100% don't want to do it.  So, what are the chances this somehow goes bad for me personally other than my conscience biting me for helping out a probable scammer?

No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 09:52:12 AM

Delete your paypal account and your problem will be solved.  Roll Eyes Just not this problem.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 09:52:49 AM

paypal will fuck you, if he reports you for selling/buying bitcoin, with paypal. thats the only risk i can see.

but be sure that he pays first. do NOT thrust him in anyway. eg. "he is at work right now, he will send them to you when he comes home, but he is asking you to pay him now." don't!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 10:32:14 AM

just make sure she pays you first. once you have 3+ confirmations it should be safe to pay
and makes little difference that you use paypal or that the other account is 'new'
just do not accept paypal for bitcoins once you would sell some.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
BurntSnow

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 07:28:24 PM

A decentralized anonymous exchange...
"Bitcoin is an experimental new digital currency that enables instant payments to anyone, anywhere in the world. Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer technology to operate with no central authority: managing transactions and issuing money are carried out collectively by the network."

Bitcoins are Bitcoins. You can be sure they're not hacked, faked, covered with drugs, linked to a criminal, etc. One Bitcoin is exactly the same as the next. Buy with confidence Cheesy .

Although, I'd really recommend leaving Paypal out of this. Moneypak would be a much better way to go, and this guy that you're trading with doesn't seem right.

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
   ████     ███     ███   ██
 ███  ███     █████████████████
███     ███     ███           ██
 ███      ███     ██          ██
   ███      ██████████      ███
     ███      ██████      ███