Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:42:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OP_EVAL proposal  (Read 13044 times)
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 06:57:09 PM

Ah, now IC the rational core of the concern, no need to bother theymos Smiley

However... How does the receiver get to know what his fees will be like ?

Let's say I want you to send me an escrow-OP_EVAL transaction. I want you to send, like... oh, 5 BTC.

It would be very unkosher if there would be no way for me to know in advance what fee to expect "on my end" after the escrow authority signs stuff (oh noes, it ated 3 BTC out of 5!  Cheesy )

I expect it'll be dependent on the size of the transaction needed to use the OP_EVAL output. That has to be known in advance, otherwise you can't create a spendable OP_EVAL output. Of course, the actual fees will depend on the democratic (well, more or less) decisions from the miners.

Well, as long as it essentially ends up being dependent on something deterministic - like "output"'s size, it should be fine.

I'd still prefer "new and brave" transactions to use a different address format though.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12885

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 07:50:39 PM

I'd still prefer "new and brave" transactions to use a different address format though.

Then every merchant will have to update clients whenever users want to use a new transaction type. With OP_EVAL, a merchant could keep running the same version for years (assuming there are no bugs) and still send transactions using the latest scripts.

It also improves decentralization, since there will be no need to coordinate assignment of address version numbers. (And there are only 256 address version numbers to assign -- too few to cover all scripts.)

People who request an OP_EVAL transaction will know exactly how many extra bytes it will take to redeem the transaction. They shouldn't be surprised by fees.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 08:16:20 PM

Then every merchant will have to update clients whenever users want to use a new transaction type. With OP_EVAL, a merchant could keep running the same version for years (assuming there are no bugs) and still send transactions using the latest scripts.

Pardon if I am being slow, but does OP_EVAL allow for crafting new and wonderful transaction type through RPC ?

I thought that every new exotic transaction implemented by this way will still require one to implement it in the code and compile...

It also improves decentralization, since there will be no need to coordinate assignment of address version numbers. (And there are only 256 address version numbers to assign -- too few to cover all scripts.)

Quite frankly, the implications of having more than 10 (let alone more than 256) distinct transaction types, each with unique "quirks" in operation, are disturbing.

The GUI will end up being like a fighter jet cockpit, for one.

I'd still like to have at least two distinct address forms, one for "simpleton" transactions (like what we have now), another for everything else, just to make demarcation between "basic" functionality and "advanced user features" more explicit. Because you know, people have trouble grokking Paypal interface (and bitcoin GUI), and having them away from getting involved with complicated 5-party signing schemes until they really know what they are doing would be wise.

People who request an OP_EVAL transaction will know exactly how many extra bytes it will take to redeem the transaction. They shouldn't be surprised by fees.

With all due respect, you overestimate the average user.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
jojkaart

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 08:36:37 PM

Pardon if I am being slow, but does OP_EVAL allow for crafting new and wonderful transaction type through RPC ?

I thought that every new exotic transaction implemented by this way will still require one to implement it in the code and compile...

No, OP_EVAL allows the person paying to pay the recipient (who has provided the address) by any transaction type imaginable. That is, even without any support for the particular transaction type in the payer's wallet. That's because OP_EVAL makes it unnecessary for the wallet software to understand the output.

Quite frankly, the implications of having more than 10 (let alone more than 256) distinct transaction types, each with unique "quirks" in operation, are disturbing.

The GUI will end up being like a fighter jet cockpit, for one.

I'd still like to have at least two distinct address forms, one for "simpleton" transactions (like what we have now), another for everything else, just to make demarcation between "basic" functionality and "advanced user features" more explicit. Because you know, people have trouble grokking Paypal interface (and bitcoin GUI), and having them away from getting involved with complicated 5-party signing schemes until they really know what they are doing would be wise.

Because OP_EVAL encodes the transaction type in the address itself, no-one ever needs to receive transaction types they don't support. So wallet software can pick and choose. With OP_EVAL the wallet software creator is free to choose which transactions it can handle and ignore others (because, well, you just won't give out any addresses for transactions you don't support).

Important thing to note here is the separation of wallet and node. Node needs to be able to handle the scripts of any transactions that are possible. However, wallet software doesn't have this need.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 10:18:56 PM

Well, Gavin explained in #bitcoin-dev that the plan is actually to have two addresstypes, one for "vanilla" old-timer transactions, and another as catch-all for "advanced" OP_EVAL stuff, which is something I am quite fine with.

Now, the transaction type pluralism is mildly disturbing. People manage to terribly screw up (and whine) with just one transaction type exposed to them and supported on all client soft, I can only imagine the magnitude of chaos when there is a whole load of divergent transaction types with affinity to a particular type of wallet software.

Good thing BTC is not a corporation. We'd have to hire entire India and most of Ukraine for tech support Cheesy

Feed the Lolcust!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12885

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 11:18:49 PM

The average user won't have to worry about it. If you enable the feature where a second device is required for spending, the client will just start giving you addressversion-1 addresses. You won't notice any other change, since the client will handle everything.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 09:36:52 PM

I think you slightly misunderstand me here. I definitely can see multisigns being fairly user-transparent and friendly.

256+ "exotic" transaction types ? not so much. But I guess it is best to start discussing the issue when a lot of "exotic" stuff starts popping up.

As long as exotica goes to a separate addresstype and Auntie can keep sending coins the old way, oblivious to the "pro stuff", I am okay.

Feed the Lolcust!
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:38:04 PM

Bump.

I know the proposal has been withdrawn, but I wondered if people thought OP_EVAL should be implemented some day, perhaps far in the future.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:44:20 AM

Most if not all of the real world use cases for OP_EVAL are handled by P2SH.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:24:47 PM

Is OP_EVAL functional on testnet?

more or less retired.
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:50:07 PM

Is OP_EVAL functional on testnet?

Pay-to-script-hash (P2SH) is functional on testnet and mainnet.  OP_EVAL has long been superceded and discarded.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: