Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:00:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news everyone! Bitstamp opening BTC withdrawals later today  (Read 1114 times)
AndersAA (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:42:11 AM

Dear Bitstamp clients,

A denial-of-service attack caused us to suspend the processing of Bitcoin withdrawals. Bitstamp, with help from the Bitcoin core developers, has implemented a solution that passes our preliminary tests and audits.

After additional testing, we plan to enable Bitcoin withdraws later today.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

The Bitstamp team

That should put an end to some of the madness and likely push the price up a bit. Right?
Does anyone know what kind of fix they've implemented?
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coastermonger

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:43:25 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2014, 10:00:07 AM by coastermonger

About damn time.  Glad to see some competence in the BTC service industry.

Each exchange is basically implementing it's own in-house fix that can check for mutated transactions and make sure their own programming doesn't create a double payment. 

I saw it described more accurately in a reddit post: you can't steal BTC with malleability, but you can try to scam with it if the other person/service doesn't know what to look for when when sending out BTC payments. 

Bitrated user: Rees.
blueberry

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:07:31 AM

This is the difference between other exchanges and MtGox. Rather than pointing fingers and blaming others for their problems, Bitstamp takes responsibility and gets to right to work and implements a solution within a few days at most. Bitstamp also mentioned that all customers bitcoins are safe, helping to alleviate fears and retain confidence, unlike MtGox who has not once mentioned that customers bitcoins are safe in their announcements, which leads to speculation that MtGox may not have enough bitcoins to cover everyones withdrawal requests. This, in turn, also wreaks havoc in the Bitcoin markets affecting everyone. The MtGox CEO can learn a thing or two about PR from others on how to handle announcements, communicate effectively with their customers and take responsibility without resorting to blame others.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 11:52:44 AM

I was just read the news on CoinDesk, I guess this is another confirmation:

http://www.coindesk.com/bitstamp-resume-bitcoin-withdrawals-btc-e-working-solution/
awesomeami

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 05:34:08 PM

I can confirm, we are starting to manually send out smaller batches of withdrawal requests while monitoring the bitcoin client's performance. Once we are completely satisfied with the results we will move to fully automated processing again.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: