Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 02:17:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Kid Needs Help!  (Read 318 times)
RoyFour (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:07:46 PM

Hello Everyone.

The past few days, I've really come to understand Bitcoin and I am quite excited that a community backed, secure currency is able to do so well. I have always been interested in cryptography and the like, especially public key cryptography (Like RSA and PGP). When I heard that Bitcoin was only possible because of public key systems, I got even more excited.

So what I'm getting at is, I have no Bitcoin to mess around with. So, I stated researching ways to make my own altcoin. Not for profit or anything, just purely for the educational value and the fun. However geeky and technically-minded I may be, I have no C++ experience, which is apparently required for such an endeavor. After reading several guides, I still feel like these projects all go way too deep for what I want.

The only thing I was really wanting to do was be able to trade it among friends and family, possibly on paper wallets and such, just for fun.

I think the closest thing I came to this was two things: Coingen.io, which I found out is either a scam or badly made, and Open Transactions.

Open Transactions has a currency/"asset" creation feature that essentially lets you create a cryptocurrency.

However, OT is still under construction, and I don't have a computer to compile the source on.
Pretty much all I have hardware-wise is a Galaxy S4.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there any way to make a simple cryptocurrency for fun? Open Transactions seems like my best bet right now, but I will be waiting a while for the Android App. Also, would I be able to create offline wallets for a cryptocurrency made in this way?

I hope I haven't lost, confused or annoyed anyone, I just would like some help from people with a bit more experience than me. Smiley

Once again, I don't expect this to go anywhere, or gain any profit, I just wanted to mess around with it purely for fun.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Roy
majorminers

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:39:16 PM

Welcome Roy!

You can always try teaming up with others. That's the best way to get projects done. You have your strengths, and others have theirs.

Come up with a name and a concept, and try to recruit others through IRC or forums. You'll find like-minded people who want to help.

That said, forget the 'just for fun' crap. Altcoins are a currency. They pretty much have to be about money at some point, especially because it costs real money to mine them.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: