Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:11:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rant: To Bitcoin "investors"  (Read 2352 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:22:00 PM

Dear Weak Hands:

If you can't handle the ups and downs of the Bitcoin landscape, my request is that you don't invest in the first place.

Its because of all of you that the price fluctuates wildly at the slightest bit of bad news.  None of this superficial nonsense this past week should have caused the price to change 1 penny.

But because of you overemotional opportunists who know nothing about the infrastructure going up, and who have "0" confidence in the very thing you're investing in, we see dramatic price fluctuations.

This in turn makes Bitcoin look unstable and weak, because those doing the analyzing also ignore the infrastructure and commerce happening.

Please:  If you can't handle Bitcoin, stop investing in Bitcoin.

Its only going to get worse.  Entire countries are going to wage war on it eventually. 
Central banking systems will go out of their way to bring it down. 
If you think this week was bad, you will not make it through the next 2 years.

This message is also to you "day traders" who are playing a huge role in screwing with the price by your intentional panic sells and panic buys.  Just so you can make $5 one day ... $10 the next day.  You'll spend all day just to turn a miniscule profit, at the expense of the stability of the price.  You're embarrassing.

Stop making Bitcoin look "weak" when it is as resilient as ever.  You are the weak ones.  Invest in Google or something.  Please.  Shoo...!

Thank you.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:24:17 PM

Patience solves all of this...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 06:41:56 PM

Dear Weak Hands:

If you can't handle the ups and downs of the Bitcoin landscape, my request is that you don't invest in the first place.

Its because of all of you that the price fluctuates wildly at the slightest bit of bad news.  None of this superficial nonsense this past week should have caused the price to change 1 penny.

But because of you overemotional opportunists who know nothing about the infrastructure going up, and who have "0" confidence in the very thing you're investing in, we see dramatic price fluctuations.

This in turn makes Bitcoin look unstable and weak, because those doing the analyzing also ignore the infrastructure and commerce happening.

- snip -

Shhhhhh!

I prefer that lots of "weak hands" hold lots of bitcoin.

That way I can pick up cheap, undervalued bitcoins everytime they sell in response to the drop of a pin.
coastermonger

Activity: 367

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:08:26 PM

Hi. Day trader here.

Not everyone who uses the exchanges are bad guys you know.  I'm the kind of dude you want to have on your team, helping to stabilize the price in times of chaos.  Market crashing too low?  I help buy it back up.  Who trims the fat when the market is climbing too quickly?  This guy.  

Don't be so quick to lump us all in the same category.  I know you're upset because the price has been bucking like a wild bronco, but if you truly think "None of this superficial nonsense this past week should have caused the price to change 1 penny" then you're just as deluded as the rest of them.

Also, the price is probably one of the least interesting aspects about bitcoin.  Most people pay too much attention to it because they associate higher value with higher power.  Don't be fooled.  Power is about what you're capable of.  There are some extremely wealthy, yet incompetent and unimaginative people out there in the world.  There are also poorer folks who have brilliant and gifted minds.  The difference is simply what tools you have access to, and whether you know how to use them.  

Cheers!

Bitrated user: Rees.
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:08:42 PM

Have these ups and "crashes" (as everyone seems to love calling them) not happened repeatedly in the past year?  Usually followed by further highs?  Clearly the majority of BTC "investors" have VERY short memories, and a very short term outlook for their "investments"
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:13:19 PM

I put actual skin in the game some years ago.  Everyone's situation, motivations, philosophies, etc are different.  There is no one-size-fits-all, and it is not universally good or bad if the valuations are volatile or not.

Here's an idea.  How about if you piss off and mind your own business (literally.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:13:40 PM

These newbs don't care. They just want quick money and panic when their coins start to devalue.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:19:52 PM

please, spare us. you're butt hurt over the fact that bitcoin, which is essentially a commodity for speculation, is being traded by individuals who have their own self interests in mind and are trying to make money. yes people like to make money and avoid losing it, this is a fact. and the whole appeal of bitcoin right now is the potential income on price swings, gambling, the community, and... you can even spend it in a few places. somehow you got the idea that the one and only true calling for bitcoin is a global currency. Maybe it's time to reassess that position. Maybe it's you who doesn't understand the true nature of bitcoin, not these so called "weak hands" that you speak of.

You need to chill out, my friend. Many of these "weak hands" are people shorting bitcoin for profit. Not everyone wins of course, but it's all part of the game. These are the same people generating interest in bitcoin, so I really don't think you want them to leave. If the traders were to drop out of the market, we'd see our coins drop to almost nothing, since that's essentially what is drawing people into the community.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:26:14 PM

I think it's worth pointing out that a lot of the people that cry that the sky is falling every time that there is volatility, are most likely the ones with very small bitcoin holdings any way.

For instance, you can typically tell on these forums who are the heavyweights, and who are the flyweights, just by the manner in which they speak in their posts.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:31:55 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2014, 07:47:59 PM by Cryddit

If a trader causes the price to fluctuate more wildly than it otherwise would, that trader is experiencing a loss.  So if you're mad at him, I guess you can take comfort in the fact that he knows he screwed up and it cost him money.

Sold while the price is falling?  He loses.

Bought while the price was rising?  He loses.  

I don't buy or sell more than once a month.  Well, okay, I bought twice in the last couple of days because the price has been STUPIDLY low with this mt.Gox scare.  But keep in mind that my buys supported the price when it is temporarily too low, and my sells if I time them right don't remove support unless the price is too high.  Because I like profits, I don't sell into lows making the lows worse, nor do I buy into highs making them higher.  

It is the weak-willed, socially-minded emotional holders who move with the herd (you have quite correctly called them "weak hands") that cause giant price fluctuations.  But those are not investors, they are merely speculators.

The investors who actually make money trading have thick skin, are uninfluenced by the crowd to the point of being almost antisocial, and make faint clanging noises when they walk.  When the headlines are trumpeting short term doom they're evaluating the page-20 story about infrastructure and legal frameworks to get a longer-term outlook instead of being distracted by being part of the "group mind" consuming the sensational.  They buy into crashes and sell at highs, contributing stability to the price.

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:39:01 PM

Dear Weak Hands:

Its only going to get worse.  Entire countries are going to wage war on it eventually. 

This message is also to you "day traders" who are playing a huge role in screwing with the price by your intentional panic sells and panic buys.  Just so you can make $5 one day ... $10 the next day.  You'll spend all day just to turn a miniscule profit, at the expense of the stability of the price.  You're embarrassing.

Stop making Bitcoin look "weak" when it is as resilient as ever.  You are the weak ones.  Invest in Google or something.  Please.  Shoo...!

Thank you.

-B-

Welcome to a free market.  If YOU can't handle it, I think YOU need to GTFO.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 07:42:14 PM

Its depends how strong soldier you are

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 07:57:40 PM

Dear Weak Hands:

Thank you.

-B-

no! thank you for selling "noobs"  Grin !

Apraksin

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

Moon?

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:57:53 PM

Every noob needs to experience at least one growth and crash cycle before they can develop the balls to hold BTC.
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 08:19:47 PM

Ahem...

It's HODL.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
snoodles

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 08:35:24 PM

This is why I haven't touched my wallets this week.
howardb

Activity: 574

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:21:41 PM

There is actually a decent little video to explain to the man on the street why this type of volatility is not only normal but predictable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHUPPYzzZrI
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:40:09 PM

But weak hands make everything "fun and exciting."

Sure price volatility is annoying, but at the same time, it breathes life into a market. The thing is that every financial instrument runs on some sort of volatility. The way I see it, this volatility actually adds value to Bitcoins.
igorr

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:57:45 PM

No more Bitcoin investitors, mining companies so far have been the main investors, and now is the end.

We have general problem with bitcoin price,
Bitstamp is resolve problems with withdraw, but the price continues to fall !

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/Bitcoin-withdrawals-are-once-again-fully-automated/

Why ?

Cлaвьcя, Oтeчecтвo нaшe cвoбoднoe,
Бpaтcкиx нapoдoв coюз вeкoвoй,
Пpeдкaми дaннaя мyдpocть нapoднaя!
Cлaвьcя, cтpaнa! Mы гopдимcя тoбoй!
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 11:57:25 PM