Bitcoin Forum
July 15, 2024, 06:42:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Riser keeps frying  (Read 242 times)
b3hemoth (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 11:08:30 PM

i have 8 rigs running, all with a 1600 T2 EVGA PSU, gigabyte mining motherboard, 1070 minis and SRS Digich risers.  risers are powered directly by PSU and no sata is used.  These things have been running over 6 months with zero problems until 2 days ago.  one of the rigs shut down and when i powered it back on i noticed only 5/6 risers  were getting power.  i swapped out the riser and when i turned the machine on all 6 lights were on then instantly i heard a sizzle, smelled something burning and it powered down.  turned it back on and again 5/6 were only powered.  the riser that keeps going out is attached to the pci xpress 16slot.  i used compressed air and blew out anything that could be shorting it, swapped out cables, risers and components and still same thing happened.  any ideas??
yobigd20

Activity: 170
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 12:27:45 AM

Bad cable or splitter or rail
abstractHaze

Activity: 106

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 12:37:12 AM

unplug the peripheral adapter you are using.
check the connector -make sure it is not burned up.
check the outlet in the psu your plugged into and see if there is any previous burn ins you didn't notice.
-also try different adapter slot with a diff cable all together if you can.

it's common for this to happen once in a while. cables fail.

i once saw one of my 6pin lines with raw wire exposed and it was arcing to another point 3 inchs down. i had no frig-gen clue how the hell that happened or could have happened, i still remember the electrical buzzing sound. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzp zzzzp zzzzp zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzp
x8664amd

Activity: 129
Merit: 6

Long term HODLer since 2014

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 12:47:43 AM

1. Get only good quality risers. Mintcell ones are fantastic and are considered the best on market.
https://www.bitnand.com/product-page/mintcell-mining-pcie-riser

2. Never power your PCI-E risers with SATA connectors. Use the MOLEX connectors.

Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. Just HODL.
abstractHaze

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 12:58:30 AM

oh please god. no.. don't holy grail mintcell. I and many people i know have been burned by there shit. hit or miss.
x8664amd

Activity: 129
Merit: 6

Long term HODLer since 2014

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 01:09:44 AM

Not holy-grailing Mintcell bro... but IMHO they are the best quality on the market. I've used some other brands but got 2 fried like hot potatoes.

Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. Just HODL.
abstractHaze

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 01:37:55 AM

and how is not the same thing that happened to me. and other people i know.. stop holy grailing them.

EX: for clarifcation . I used some other brand (potato) aka mintcell. had issues. friends bought also. had issues, those friends-friends also had issue. we all agree. potato...
AIO Inc
Copper Member

Activity: 62
Merit: 2

AIOMiner.com

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2018, 01:53:06 AM

i have 8 rigs running, all with a 1600 T2 EVGA PSU, gigabyte mining motherboard, 1070 minis and SRS Digich risers.  risers are powered directly by PSU and no sata is used.  These things have been running over 6 months with zero problems until 2 days ago.  one of the rigs shut down and when i powered it back on i noticed only 5/6 risers  were getting power.  i swapped out the riser and when i turned the machine on all 6 lights were on then instantly i heard a sizzle, smelled something burning and it powered down.  turned it back on and again 5/6 were only powered.  the riser that keeps going out is attached to the pci xpress 16slot.  i used compressed air and blew out anything that could be shorting it, swapped out cables, risers and components and still same thing happened.  any ideas??

Take the gpu, riser, and all associated cables off and inspect them all. Inspect all of the connectors to make sure everything is going well. Then check your actual PSU and the cable going into the wall. Check the wall outlet too. Look for split cables and discoloration/burning at all of the connectors and wall socket. Replace anything that needs replacing. Then see if you still have the problem.
b3hemoth (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 02:24:30 AM

i have checked everything. g2g. psu is good, i have replaced usb cables, pci-e adapters, different vga cables. the only thing i havent changed or tried is swapping pci-e adapters from another port to the 16 but man im really tired of burning up risers at $10 a piece. and the risers im using are the best ive found. i have gone through about 10 different types and these are the best by far.
could there be something defective in the mb or something in the 16 causing it to short out?
abstractHaze

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 03:13:36 AM

swap video card.
mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 2163

Slots Enthusiast & Expert

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2018, 04:49:06 AM

Did you use y-splitter for 6/8pin power? Possibly that's the culprit. Try to connect all 6/8pin directly to PSU and if everything fine then you should get better quality y-splitter.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Ruster87

Activity: 13

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 05:03:30 AM

Not holy-grailing Mintcell bro... but IMHO they are the best quality on the market. I've used some other brands but got 2 fried like hot potatoes.

HAHA, all risers are the same, the problem is with the USER, you do realize it's made from china? They just bought in quantities and market it as their own.. I have tried many risers and i've never burnt one before.

LOOSE cable from anywhere, especially psu port side will burn it within seconds, that is why people should not use modular psu unless they have checked and make sure every connection is tight.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2018, 05:26:45 AM

I've used multiple unknown chinese brand bought on aliexpress and have had NO problems at all. I am running all sorts of GPUs on these risers. 1050tis, 1060s, 1070s, 1080ti, rx470s, 480s, 570s, 580s, and even Vega56s.

There is no need to buy branded PCIE risers, these are pretty straightforward hardware and there isn't really much difference (except with the USB cables) among existing brands.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
July 13, 2018, 06:09:11 AM

I've used multiple unknown chinese brand bought on aliexpress and have had NO problems at all.
There is no need to buy branded PCIE risers, these are pretty straightforward hardware and there isn't really much difference (except with the USB cables) among existing brands.
I have too, Chinese brand so far no problem as long as PCIe x1 / x16 on MB no problem and when install USB Riser from/to GPU is not loose also powering to USB is not short of power.

could there be something defective in the mb or something in the 16 causing it to short out?
can be possible
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: