Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:33:59 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meaning of Token decimals.  (Read 119 times)
Obolo (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2018, 06:40:22 AM

Day in day out, most altcoins keep coming out and I have realize that, all these altcoins have specific details such token symbol, name, smart contract, decimals, and others. The token decimal is what keeps me wondering as to what it is about, because the tokens I have seen so far has 2 ,4, and 18 decimal indicated as part of their details. I want to know what token decimal is all about and what does it do to a particular altcoin.

●●⚫  CRYPTONITY  ▐|  The Crypto Community Exchange ▐|
Public Sale 1 Starts: Nov 1, 2018 ▐|● https://tokensale.cryptonity.io
Jaslinbor28

Activity: 252
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2018, 07:33:58 PM

I must say thank you for this comment, I am really glad that people are wanted to knows about this but I am afraid that I don't have any cl3ar idea regarding this topic and most of us don't cause it still has not able to gain the popularity among the users so I thing it will be better if you gather the information on your own instead of trusting on other statement
Obolo (OP)

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2018, 06:06:19 AM

Alright. I think I will have to spend some time and research on that and come out with something beneficial.

●●⚫  CRYPTONITY  ▐|  The Crypto Community Exchange ▐|
Public Sale 1 Starts: Nov 1, 2018 ▐|● https://tokensale.cryptonity.io
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 15, 2018, 06:14:35 AM

i believe what you are talking about is the number of decimal places that each coin/token can have. for example bitcoin has 8 so 1BTC is equal to 1.00000000BTC. usually altcoins follow this and they all have 8 decimals. but they can have any other number too.

the thing is, this somewhat shows the supply of the coin. at code level there is no decimals. there is only integers. for example in case of bitcoin, there is no 1 bitcoin, there is only 100000000 satoshi.

so you can look at this way, a token can define 1000 satoshi as its 1 whole unit to have 3 decimals. or it can define 100000000 satoshi as its 1 whole big unit to have 8 decimals. but if it does the first one then you can't compare its supply with others unless you convert all of them to integers then compare.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
easybtcearn2017

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 15, 2018, 08:35:06 AM

That's an informative post. Token decimals are a bit complex topic to understand. A decimal token informs users about the number of decimals.
HerbertMarcel

Activity: 221
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2018, 10:33:22 AM

Token decimal actually means that the currency is divided into smaller units. In other words it is just the fraction of the token.

farnandezetn

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 15, 2018, 02:43:46 PM

When we create a standard token based on the ETH link, we define the decimal places that is used by the coin. This is needed because there are no decimals in the blockchain technology.So, if the publisher of token specifies decimal places to be 2, it means 100 tokens is actually 1.00 tokens
TommyJr

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 06:15:02 PM

Its true in recent time peoples are more taking about altcoin. This coin has a great reputation in the market. But i think they need more development like technology and transaction those systems.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: