Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 04:22:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The recent attacks on Bitcoin. Why, and most importantly ~ Who.  (Read 2037 times)
renthemighty (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 11:59:14 PM

These are mostly opinion .. of course backed up by sources.

So,. I haven't heard anything on the news/forums about any major hacking groups like "Anonymous" or "Lulzsec" hitting bitcoin,. and since they have their own coins that are getting hit too I'm pretty sure we can exclude them from the blame of the current attacks,. so lets put our heads together and try to figure out who wants all this bitcoin instability and uncertainty.

lets start with something simpe.
The banks own the government.
if you didn't know this already you really must have your head up your ass so just close the post now.
If you do know this and you don't have any feelings towards being a servant to an entity that left the fucks for you at home this morning., i think you should get out of bitcoin and go grab some mc.dicks on your way home from walmart.. and choke on it.

for the rest of you..

The banks and the oligarchies that control our financial systems around the world are the only ones that have anything to gain from attacking the bitcoin system. Let's add that over 90% of the "Purchased" media (including Business Insider, Times of India, Escapist Magazine, and of Course! JPMorgan themselves ) have been spilling out all kinds of faults, turbulent price information, statements like JPMorgan's "The Audacity of Bitcoin" with no actual knowledge about the system. They will do anything that has the potential to make bitcoin and other altcoins distrusted, volatile and [mostly] something people should steer clear of .. and really bend the truth to a snapping point doing it.

The Banks are the ones that are hiring the "hackers" and "programmers", as well as using all the resources at their disposal including running dis-information campaigns and hiring/paying writers to slam bitcoin. They have been bribing or "Lobbying" for politicians to ban the use of crypto-currencies because they will loose the most. This is the exact reason why Russia made it illegal.

{If you didn't know, Russia is still controlled by the oligarchy that put Stalin in power}
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/opinion/russias-oligarchy-alive-and-well.html

============================================
"The few who understand the system, will either be so interested from it's profits or so dependant on it's favors, that there will be no opposition from that class."
— Rothschild Brothers of London, 1863

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws"
— Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild
 "Neither paper currency nor deposits have value as commodities, intrinsically, a 'dollar' bill is just
a piece of paper. Deposits are merely book entries."
— Modern Money Mechanics Workbook, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, 1975

I didn't get into this for the money alone, although it is a benefit Smiley

We did this because we are tired of the wars, the famines, sanctions, fees, charges, regulations, centralizations and ownership for control of YOUR currency by an elite that thinks YOU and ME are blood bags here to serve THEM.

We are to be their cannon fodder and tea makers!

Dont believe me? heres some great reads:
http://www.fourwinds10.net/siterun_data/government/banking_and_taxation_irs_and_insurance/social_security/news.php?q=1233546489
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-15/overstock-ceo-slams-unethical-krugman-hopes-bitcoin-destroys-central-banking
http://www.activistpost.com/2014/02/bitcoin-threatens-banking-cleptocracy.html

No thanks. I'll stick to Bitcoin.
This system cannot be simply taken down . If will only "Fail" if we let it.

Simon
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 12:07:03 AM

I guess 90% of attacks are from Russia.
9% from China Smiley
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:21:36 AM

I think these attacks have been designed foremost to steal BTC. The malleability attack process clearly allows that to happen. So yes the banks and larger investment community and political elite might not like BTC and want it to fail but in this case I think it's money-grabbing teenage hackers from across doing this damage.

The malleability attack caused confusion because wallets weren't prepared to handle certain edge cases.  It is emphatically not possible to re-direct funds or modify the amount of transactions through malleability.  The malleability attacker effectively just changed the "receipt number" on certain transactions; the attacker could not change the details of the transaction itself, as these critical details are protected by military-grade cryptography.

Here's a good write up on what you need to know about malleability: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=460944.0

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4536

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:32:14 AM

I think these attacks have been designed foremost to steal BTC. The malleability attack process clearly allows that to happen. So yes the banks and larger investment community and political elite might not like BTC and want it to fail but in this case I think it's money-grabbing teenage hackers from across doing this damage.

The malleability attack caused confusion because wallets weren't prepared to handle certain edge cases.  It is emphatically not possible to re-direct funds or modify the amount of transactions through malleability.  The malleability attacker effectively just changed the "receipt number" on certain transactions; the attacker could not change the details of the transaction itself, as these critical details are protected by military-grade cryptography.

Here's a good write up on what you need to know about malleability: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=460944.0

you make a good point. the malleability issue is simply a scammer changing receipt numbers and going back to the shop to complain that the product was never delivered to them. instead of looking up the customers address or the shops own transaction list. the scammer hopes the shop owner uses the receipt reference to see that no delivery is assigned to such number. thus forcing the shop to send out two products. this highlights that PEOPLE still have a thing to learn about how to process transactions and audit them.

and how PEOPLE react to 'news' about an issue, causing panic. both media and this malleability issue is a biological error and not crytographic error.

in the real world if a shop looks up a receipt number that shows no confirmation, they would usually do extra checks to make sure someone didnt just photoshop the receipt and edit it. i know many stores that then ask for customers addresses or the day/time of purchase to double check before authorising a new product or refund

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 04:34:45 AM

I reason its really just market manipulation, to get the price lower for a little while,

JUST PRIOR TO THE MASSIVE RUN-UP LATER ON THIS YEAR

because bitcoin is growing faster than it ever was

FASTER, BIGGER THAN IT EVER WAS IN 2014

another one of my theories Roll Eyes
yes this wawe will create new riches and new poors
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 04:41:02 AM

I reason its really just market manipulation, to get the price lower for a little while,

JUST PRIOR TO THE MASSIVE RUN-UP LATER ON THIS YEAR

because bitcoin is growing faster than it ever was

FASTER, BIGGER THAN IT EVER WAS IN 2014

another one of my theories Roll Eyes

Close enough to what I surmised upon only reading the title: Put yourself in an ideal trading position prior to implementing the pseudo-attack on your own entity(s). Hell, it wouldn't surprise me to later learn that Mt Gox withdrew their own coins (and maybe some or all of Bitcoinica's) and put them in some other exchange, perhaps one they help founded. I'm just saying.  Wink
steeev

Activity: 128
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:10:01 AM

incidentally, i noticed in the press there was a ddos attack on the Network Time Protocol around the same time as all this Gox/malleability stuff was going on...

http://threatpost.com/400-gbps-ntp-amplification-attack-alarmingly-simple/104256

http://blog.cloudflare.com/technical-details-behind-a-400gbps-ntp-amplification-ddos-attack

dunno what it might mean, if anything...
vinboy

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:53:29 AM

9% from China Smiley

1% from Putin's mobile IP.
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:21:17 PM

The Banks are the ones that are hiring the "hackers" and "programmers",
Why now?

The current malleability attacks have done Bitcoin a favour, by exposing how serious the problem is while it's still relatively easy to fix. It's caused some bad PR, but the core system holds up and the real damage is limited. If this had happened in a few years, it would have been far worse. If you think the banks did it, then you have to conclude the banks want Bitcoin to succeed.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 12:28:19 PM

9% from China Smiley

1% from Putin's mobile IP.

Hehe x

He should buy his own rig to understand why bitcoin is a future Cheesy
BitTheCoin

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 06:20:13 PM

Is it possible for the FBI or any law enforcement agencies to look into stolen bitcoin matters like this and actually discover the person responsible? Does the bitcoin network make it more of a challenge due to the anonymity possible?
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:00:35 PM

I normally am not a conspiracy theorist.   But it did strike me last night that Bitcoin hackers 100% of the time go after Bitcoins.
They would have no motivation whatsoever to try and attack the services providing them with their wealth.
So by very definition, it makes absolutely no sense that any hackers are attacking Bitcoin exchanges.

The only very slim possibility is that they are trying to "toughen up" the system by exposing weaknesses that the core dev team has been insanely lazy about addressing.
That would be a valid justification, and honestly, an expression of how many of us feel about the lingering bugs and enhancements that seem to never get done.

So for once, I would tend to agree that this was an attack from a source outside of traditional hacking circles.
There is far too many motivations pointing in that direction.

Either way, good news:  All it did was kick the dev team in the ass, get some issues addressed more quickly, and showed how resilient the community is.
So fail on all fronts, for said hackers.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
renthemighty (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 04:05:07 AM

The Banks are the ones that are hiring the "hackers" and "programmers",
Why now?

The current malleability attacks have done Bitcoin a favour, by exposing how serious the problem is while it's still relatively easy to fix. It's caused some bad PR, but the core system holds up and the real damage is limited. If this had happened in a few years, it would have been far worse. If you think the banks did it, then you have to conclude the banks want Bitcoin to succeed.

well.. not necessarily,. wouldn't you agree that they would have more chances at destroying the credibility of the system if they were right there everyday and at every turn (as they are now) pointing out all the possible (and mostly fictitious) problems and downsides.. uncertainty and volatility . i can only compare it to yahoo or hotmail or even the healthcare.gov .. when these systems went through their growing pains they were reported, and then not.. even though the problems they had lasted weeks, they were in the news for a day or two and then .. nothing. no . im certain that this is has got to be an ongoing slander campaign . they are using globalist propaganda machines like forbes, business insider, la times, new york times ..

with articles like this:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bitcoin-collapse-20140226,0,5968430.story#axzz2uOgV6W00
and comments from an obvious paid VA- "Fitting end to another fraud."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: