Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:55:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Resolved] Complaints about ad auctioning  (Read 10840 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 12:11:09 AM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 02:22:05 PM by Matthew N. Wright

In order to collect more money for the creation of good forum software, ...

With AEF, bbPress, Beehive, esoTalk, XMB FluxBB, Fruit Show, Drupal, FUDForum, FusionBB, IceBB, IPBoard, Joomla Forum, MesDiscussions, MiniBB, MyBB, MyProBB, Phorum, PhpBB 2, PhpBB 3, PunBB, Quicksilver, SEO-Board, SMF 1.1, SMF 2, UBB, UltraBB, UNB, UseBB, Vanilla, vBulletin 3.8, vBulletin 4, Viscacha, Wikid Forum, Burning Board, WowBB, XenForo, XennoBB, JavaBB, JForum, jGossip, JsForum, MVN Forum, Nemesis, SKForum, Yazd, E-Blah, and YaBB available, why would you need to create another one?

Also, if you sold the ad space for a fixed fee I'd totally pay for it but this auction stuff is a bit too much. Anyone with a real world business that has a real world budget will be forced out of participation. If you must stick with an auction format, might I recommend a certain number of slots and allow bidding as a lot auction?

EDIT: Thank you Theymos for listening to my suggestion and I believe you have made the right decision! Let's see how it goes!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 12:16:14 AM

Who cares?

Sometimes I think you just like to talk...

EDIT: I agree, having set a flat fee would be nice as well. But talking about unprofessional and ridiculous is, well just that. This forums doesn't belong to a a company. It's a group of guys who are hosting and managing it out of their own pockets. If an auction for ad space on this traffic monster helps pay for their services then I say more power to them.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12878

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 12:27:16 AM

There are a large number of features that are needed. No forum software implements them all. It's fine if these features end up being added onto some existing software.

Auctioning allows the forum to maximize its gains. The whole purpose of this is to raise about 300 BTC for the new software. After the new software exists, ads will no longer be sold (unless they are needed again).

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 09:25:40 AM

Anyone willing to design forum software from scratch for only 300BTC is going to do it wrong.

The 200 BTC already in the account + 300 more from ads = 500 BTC in the account. More can be gotten if this is not enough, though I think it probably will be.

I agree with you on taking existing software and hardening it, but I highly doubt you need 300BTC for that.

There will be a "reverse auction" for the job of creating/packaging the new forum software, so the forum may end up paying less than the maximum amount.

You seem to think that I'm only interested in security, but this project is actually mainly about adding some important new features and setting up a good base that I can easily make modifications to. Secure code is a requirement, and I'd like to get away from the obviously-insecure SMF code as soon as possible, but this is not the main focus.

ParrotyBit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 12:14:27 PM

There will be a "reverse auction" for the job of creating/packaging the new forum software, so the forum may end up paying less than the maximum amount.

It will be raining comedy masonic gold if/when logansryche wins the reverse auction.
shakaru

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 05:32:14 AM

Who cares?

Sometimes I think you just like to talk...

EDIT: I agree, having set a flat fee would be nice as well. But talking about unprofessional and ridiculous is, well just that. This forums doesn't belong to a a company. It's a group of guys who are hosting and managing it out of their own pockets. If an auction for ad space on this traffic monster helps pay for their services then I say more power to them.

THANK YOU! I'm not the only one who thinks that. I honestly skip over all his post despite the subject. Only came into this one because thymos moved it and it wouldnt say the poster.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2011, 05:00:05 PM

I just wanted to say that I find the middle in the thread ads annoying. Please remove them.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 08:08:14 PM

I just wanted to say that I find the middle in the thread ads annoying. Please remove them.

You mean the one ad underneath the first post?  I wouldn't really call it middle of the thread ads.
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 08:55:14 PM

You mean the one ad underneath the first post?  I wouldn't really call it middle of the thread ads.

That dosen't make it less disruptive

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 08:58:33 PM

I'd say it is less disruptive, it's in the same place every time.  It's not randomly between posts or set every X number, but after the first post on the page.  Money has got to be made to improve the forum system somehow.
deslok

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 10:20:35 PM

I'd say it is less disruptive, it's in the same place every time.  It's not randomly between posts or set every X number, but after the first post on the page.  Money has got to be made to improve the forum system somehow.

Put a banner dead at the bottom where i can ignore it by not scrolling that far!

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 10:28:37 PM

Put a banner dead at the bottom where i can ignore it by not scrolling that far!

Advertising where people will avoid looking at it... GENIUS!
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 10:41:00 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 02:20:23 PM by Matthew N. Wright

Relative advertisements are helpful. Maybe there could be a pay account (donation) to remove ads? Nothing is free, you know.

deslok

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 11:41:02 PM

Advertising where people will avoid looking at it... GENIUS!

Well i'd say on either side but people with old standard ratio monitors need all the screen width they can get

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 01:09:33 AM

You can use one of the non-default styles if you really hate the ads. I find them quite unobtrusive.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 09:48:03 AM

You can use one of the non-default styles if you really hate the ads. I find them quite unobtrusive.
For real. I had to actually look for it to find it.

I think you're wasting your time with just links though. Let people have a skinny banner. Doesn't have to be leaderboard. Fuck it, put two banners in a leaderboard space.

Or do like SA does and make the first or second post an actual adbox by the user 'adbot' and let people ignore it by buying a membership. It fucking works.

Make it pics of keynesian economists and their quotes to really annoy people lol.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 09:54:17 AM

For real. I had to actually look for it to find it.

I think you're wasting your time with just links though. Let people have a skinny banner. Doesn't have to be leaderboard. Fuck it, put two banners in a leaderboard space.

Or do like SA does and make the first or second post an actual adbox by the user 'adbot' and let people ignore it by buying a membership. It fucking works.
Pixel ads (million$website style). Most effective least intrusive and actually fun to look at Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: