Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:15:37 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing a wallet to bitcoin qt  (Read 548 times)
aussieminer (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 06:23:50 AM

Hey all,

I have a public and private key written down.  If i want to import that to bitcoin qt, do i simply go to addresses->New address, and then type in the public key?

Alternatively, if I want to create a new wallet, do I go to receive->new addresses and then create one there? If I want to send from that address, do I simply then copy that address and then go to addresses and then new address and copy and paste that new address into the address box?

Thanks
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 10:32:26 AM

I have a public and private key written down.  If i want to import that to bitcoin qt, do i simply go to addresses->New address, and then type in the public key?

Nope, you need the private key instead.
Click Help -> Debug window -> Console, and enter importprivkey <bitcoinprivkey>

Alternatively, if I want to create a new wallet, do I go to receive->new addresses and then create one there?

If you want to create a new receiving address, yes.
If you want to create a new wallet, close you bitcoin-qt, rename your wallet.dat to something else, and then open your bitcoin-qt again.

If I want to send from that address, do I simply then copy that address and then go to addresses and then new address and copy and paste that new address into the address box?

Nope, the address tab is for you to store the addresses you have sent bitcoin to (such as a gambling site or an exchange).
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 01:11:22 AM

If I want to send from that address, do I simply then copy that address and then go to addresses and then new address and copy and paste that new address into the address box?

Thanks

It is not possible to "send from an address".

You simply choose where you want bitcoins to go (what address you want to send to).  Your wallet will take care of deciding which unspent outputs to spend to supply enough value to the transaction.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: