Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:11:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So I might be a narcissist...  (Read 3306 times)
Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 03:17:25 PM

What is this "being tactfull" thing everyone keeps talking about? I don't get it  Huh
I won't either. So far, from what I am hearing, it's been about not offending the prude sensibilities and insecurities of others.

In other words, bullshit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2011, 03:21:28 PM

What is this "being tactfull" thing everyone keeps talking about? I don't get it  Huh
I won't either. So far, from what I am hearing, it's been about not offending the prude sensibilities and insecurities of others.

+1  Grin
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 07:39:47 PM

If I were to simplify it, I would offer the definition of:  Behaviors you can take so as not to be perceived as a raging asshole by strangers and those with whom you wish to build relationships.  It's not even about prudeishness, just respect for those you interact with.  If you are at a nudist colony you should take off your clothes.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 07:43:08 PM

If I were to simplify it, I would offer the definition of:  Behaviors you can take so as not to be perceived as a raging asshole by strangers and those with whom you wish to build relationships.  It's not even about prudeishness, just respect for those you interact with.  If you are at a nudist colony you should take off your clothes.

Respect? What is respect? What is its purpose? To submit to their authority?
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 07:59:58 PM

Go fucking give all your shit away wander off into the woods like that retard in alaska. It seems like the only solution your philosophy leaves you...otherwise, you are going to get beat to death by a frat boy in a bar when you turn 21.

I still stand by my advice: GO OUTSIDE YOU PASTY DWEEB.
Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 08:03:09 PM

Go fucking give all your shit away wander off into the woods like that retard in alaska. It seems like the only solution your philosophy leaves you...otherwise, you are going to get beat to death by a frat boy in a bar when you turn 21.

I still stand by my advice: GO OUTSIDE YOU PASTY DWEEB.
I go outside. I am very well admired among real people in real life. I need no advice regarding that.

My question was rhetorical. I am wandering why I should take off my clothes because the whims of a group demands it? By what value, what right, what purpose compels me to sacrifice to their whims? Why does it take precedence over doing what I prefer at no real expense or coercion to others?

If I wish to speak and dress a certain way, why should it submit to the will of a group in the name of so-called "respect"? Why is the preferential will of a purported collective so revered?
RandyFolds

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 08:34:38 PM

I go outside. I am very well admired among real people in real life. I need no advice regarding that.

My question was rhetorical. I am wandering why I should take off my clothes because the whims of a group demands it? By what value, what right, what purpose compels me to sacrifice to their whims? Why does it take precedence over doing what I prefer at no real expense or coercion to others?

If I wish to speak and dress a certain way, why should it submit to the will of a group in the name of so-called "respect"? Why is the preferential will of a purported collective so revered?

Amongst, not among.

You should conform to the group because you want to reap the benefits of that group. Fucking-a, this is elemental. Do whatever the fuck you want, just don't expect others to embrace or even tolerate it.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2011, 08:38:45 PM

Amongst, not among.

You should conform to the group because you want to reap the benefits of that group. Fucking-a, this is elemental. Do whatever the fuck you want, just don't expect others to embrace or even tolerate it.

Elementary, not elemental.
Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 08:40:23 PM

Do whatever the fuck you want, just don't expect others to embrace or even tolerate it.
Well, it seems most rigid groups have little to no value to give me, haha.

Addendum, I've never gone to people with a sense of entitlement.
RandyFolds

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 08:41:39 PM

Amongst, not among.

touché...
Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 08:42:17 PM

Amongst, not among.

Pedantry.
RandyFolds

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 08:45:25 PM

Do whatever the fuck you want, just don't expect others to embrace or even tolerate it.

Oh really? That is about the most self-entitled viewpoint I have ever heard. Rigid groups like...the government, perhaps? You know, the guys that are getting you your food and electricity and education and all that other infrastructure?

I think your perception of value is severely hindered.
Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 08:50:51 PM

Oh really? That is about the most self-entitled viewpoint I have ever heard. Rigid groups like...the government, perhaps? You know, the guys that are getting you your food and electricity and education and all that other infrastructure?

I don't need the government for my electricity, food and education. I didn't ask them! I have never claimed entitlement to anything! Who is to say I couldn't earn it otherwise through the returned value by my parents? Who is to say I couldn't have it better through voluntary means? It's like they mowed my lawn without my permission but I still somehow owe them!

I value with consent! Not coercion nor slavery!
RandyFolds

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 08:58:57 PM

I don't need the government for my electricity, food and education. I didn't ask them! I have never claimed entitlement to anything! Who is to say I couldn't earn it otherwise through the returned value by my parents? Who is to say I couldn't have it better through voluntary means? It's like they mowed my lawn without my permission but I still somehow owe them!

I value with consent! Not coercion nor slavery!

ohmyfuckinggod...so, you take advantage of all of these entitlements, and then say that you are not really partaking because you didn't ask for them?

you vote with consent, and by participating, you just voted yes.

move to Somalia, son. see if you can really fend for yourself.

seriously. move to Somalia.
Rarity

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 09:08:18 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2011, 09:24:33 PM by Rarity

I don't know what to tell you, I've answered your question.  If you see no value in not being perceived as an asshole, feel free to act like one.  Plenty of people do and they do just fine.  Just don't expect the benefits of politeness if you don't offer it.

Sometimes it has real advantages though.  In the business world for example it can be used to cultivate connections so you can work together for mutual profit, rather then trying to be all cutthroat and attempting to steal ideas from others.  I thought you would have learned that lesson after your recent debacle.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 09:51:04 PM

Don't let the haters get to you! You're way better off mentally than I was at your age. Soon enough you'll find yourself surrounded by people who are the same kind of smart as you, and you'll wonder how you could have felt so isolated.

Don't worry. You're OK. Be yourself and eventually you'll meet people who appreciate it.
Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 10:09:24 PM

Here's the thing:

I am not an asshole. I act the way I do for my own pleasure. It just so happens that people take it as respectful.

Never has it been proved that the way I act is truly distasteful. : P
Rarity

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 10:18:17 PM

One of the aspects of tact is that people will often not call someone an asshole to their face or openly disrespect them, but simply discontinue interaction with an unpleasant individual as rapidly as possible.

Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 10:20:53 PM

One of the aspects of tact is that people will often not call someone an asshole to their face or openly disrespect them, but simply discontinue interaction with an unpleasant individual as rapidly as possible.
Well, I choose not call people assholes nor disrespect them because I find doing so meaningless. It gives nobody pleasure. Is this to say I have tact albeit in the name of my own selfish pleasure?
Rarity

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 10:24:21 PM

Well, I choose not call people assholes nor disrespect them because I find doing so meaningless. It gives nobody pleasure. Is this to say I have tact albeit in the name of my own selfish pleasure?

As I've said, the purpose of tact is mutual benefit.  It is acting in your own self-interest to cultivate a positive reputation.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: