Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:09:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So I might be a narcissist...  (Read 3306 times)
Anonymous

October 04, 2011, 10:27:16 PM

One of the aspects of tact is that people will often not call someone an asshole to their face or openly disrespect them, but simply discontinue interaction with an unpleasant individual as rapidly as possible.
Well, I choose not call people assholes nor disrespect them because I find doing so meaningless. It gives nobody pleasure. Is this to say I have tact albeit in the name of my own selfish pleasure?

As I've said, the purpose of tact is mutual benefit.  It is acting in your own self-interest to cultivate a positive reputation.
It is only in my best interest if it's a group I wish to please. That is my main argument. It seems conflict only appears when I don't want to alter myself for all situations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 10:36:59 PM

One of the aspects of tact is that people will often not call someone an asshole to their face or openly disrespect them, but simply discontinue interaction with an unpleasant individual as rapidly as possible.
Well, I choose not call people assholes nor disrespect them because I find doing so meaningless. It gives nobody pleasure. Is this to say I have tact albeit in the name of my own selfish pleasure?

As I've said, the purpose of tact is mutual benefit.  It is acting in your own self-interest to cultivate a positive reputation.
It is only in my best interest if it's a group I wish to please. That is my main argument. It seems conflict only appears when I don't want to alter myself for all situations.

You really should do some drugs. It'll make you realize that philosophy is very much akin to masturbation, in that no one fucking cares that you do it, and definitely no one wants to hear about how do it.

With such social surety, why the constant seemingly-desperate need for approval from this forum?

I am telling you, guy...move to Somalia; where a man is free to be a man. All your troubles and hardships will melt away.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2011, 10:39:01 PM

Sometimes attaining some personal power by pretending to be someone you are not (faking being genuine and respectful), for your own benefit, works too. So learning to at least fake tact and politeness is probably a good idea as well.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 10:42:12 PM

Sometimes attaining some personal power by pretending to be someone you are not (faking being genuine and respectful), for your own benefit, works too. So learning to at least fake tact and politeness is probably a good idea as well.

If you cannot do this, you are not long for the working world.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2011, 10:49:02 PM

If you cannot do this, you are not long for the working world.

Or the business world.
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 10:52:16 PM

You can't make longterm predictions of which groups you may need to extract social benefit from later or how one group interacting with a group you do need may change their perceptions of you.  Sometimes a group you had no idea you might be doing business with will end up as one of your main customers, witness the success of the television program "My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic" with a periphery demographic.  

When the only downside is some nebulous concept of not "keeping it real", it's better to play it safe.  

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 12:21:02 AM
Last edit: October 06, 2011, 12:52:49 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

You can't make longterm predictions of which groups you may need to extract social benefit from later or how one group interacting with a group you do need may change their perceptions of you.  Sometimes a group you had no idea you might be doing business with will end up as one of your main customers, witness the success of the television program "My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic" with a periphery demographic.  

When the only downside is some nebulous concept of not "keeping it real", it's better to play it safe.  

You don't happen to live in Iowa with your dad acting as a sole parent while you're home-schooled? I'm just asking before I toss out these over-ripped pineapples. One more thing: Don't ask to see Rassah's coffee table, for it may cause deja-vu all over again.

I enjoy your posts, Rarity.
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 02:11:55 AM

Never been to Iowa.  In London at the moment, grew up in Clearwater, Florida.  Why do you think I sound homeschooled?  My parents are gonna be pissed they wasted all that money on private schools.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 03:27:16 AM

Never been to Iowa.  In London at the moment, grew up in Clearwater, Florida.  Why do you think I sound homeschooled?  My parents are gonna be pissed they wasted all that money on private schools.

My post was meant as a joke. Search "Waterloo Ayn" without the quote marks on this forum to appreciate the joke and get up to speed (maybe I should have written "get up to speed to appreciate the joke"). And remember: Don't ask to see Rassah's coffee table.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 03:40:28 AM

Actually, um, I'll be in London in December/January, so maybe Rarity and I can hang out and I can show him the pictures myself  Grin Let me know if you need me to bring any pony swag from the states  Wink
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: