Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:57:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 450gb 10kRPM Raptors @ Newegg for $120  (Read 1370 times)
st4rdust (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 04:09:34 PM

Shell Shocker deal.

Great buy if anybody has been looking for a high-RPM drive.

If you should choose to pity me -14GLjCUE7ohxRLvwZD2sfjKjf22Lt3UHip

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 11:51:19 PM

?

that drive is the exact opposite of the drive a miner would want.. if he even wanted a hard drive at all.

cheap low power green drives or USB flash drives. those are the drives for miners.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 11:55:16 PM

?

that drive is the exact opposite of the drive a miner would want.. if he even wanted a hard drive at all.

All hardware is welcome well suited or not Tongue anyway miners do build computers for other things on occasion

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
st4rdust (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 01:59:48 AM

?

cheap low power green drives or USB flash drives. those are the drives for miners.

You're right, this isn't something any of us would particularly want in a mining rig. Although we're mostly miners, I'd be willing to bet a good percentage of the forum members would also consider themselves to be PC enthusiasts in general, and while this drive might not suit a mining setup, it may fit well into someones plans for, say, a gaming rig. Simply sharing the opportunity for anyone who might want it.

mike678

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 02:14:56 AM

You're right, this isn't something any of us would particularly want in a mining rig. Although we're mostly miners, I'd be willing to bet a good percentage of the forum members would also consider themselves to be PC enthusiasts in general, and while this drive might not suit a mining setup, it may fit well into someones plans for, say, a gaming rig. Simply sharing the opportunity for anyone who might want it.

+1 If I had any excuse to buy this I would but I don't need any more space. I think between all the hard drives I have I have about 4 or 5 terabytes of space.
pennytrader

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:26:35 AM

if I really want speed, SSD is my option.

Otherwise, I'd buy a large hd (from 1 to 3T) which still gives me a decent speed.

please donate to 1P3m2resGCP2o2sFX324DP1mfqHgGPA8BL
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 06:39:33 AM

I'd be willing to bet a good percentage of the forum members would also consider themselves to be PC enthusiasts in general, and while this drive might not suit a mining setup, it may fit well into someones plans for, say, a gaming rig. Simply sharing the opportunity for anyone who might want it.

ahh gotcha. wasnt sure if you had some misconception as to what a mining rig needed for storage.

me, Im a SSD for OS/productivity, medium speed spinner for games, huge capacity slow spinner for media  kinda guy. that would be sweet for a games drive.

nice find.
mike678

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 07:53:38 AM

Otherwise, I'd buy a large hd (from 1 to 3T) which still gives me a decent speed.
ssd's are still super expensive you could raid 0 two of those and I'm sure you wont notice a difference. So $240 you'd have 900 gb for a $240 ssd you would have 128 gb.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 02:15:27 PM

ssd's are still super expensive you could raid 0 two of those and I'm sure you wont notice a difference. So $240 you'd have 900 gb for a $240 ssd you would have 128 gb.

I would rather have the SSD.   Latency is what matters not peak sequential throughput for most uses.  128GB is fine for putting OS, application, and games (although if I were buying one today I likely would look for 240GB models).  10K RPM creates a lot of heat, noise, and electrical draw but doesn't do much for latency.

For games & OS most of access is going to be random reads and that is where SSD shine.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 04:26:58 PM

Except for the fact SSD's are horribly unreliable right now. I cant mention how many times Ive had to do data recovery on them in our shop, they currently leave a bad taste in my mouth and would go w/ normal HDD's any day currently...
Other than that, you guys are right =P

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 04:31:01 PM

Guess maybe it varies by brand/model.  I have 2 SSD.  One for nearly 4 years, one for about 2.5.  Neither has given me any problem.  Not a single byte lost.

Then again even if it failed there really isn't any data recovery the way I use them.  I use SSD for os & applications.  User data is stored on a pair of 1TB RAID1 storage drivers.  Nice thing about Windows Vista/7 is applications are finally moving away from storing user data in program files folder structure.  It also makes wiping the OS and re-installing much easier.  Nothing to backup, nothing to save.

So I wouldn't say horribly unreliable.  Looking at newegg ratings I think if they were "horrible unreliable" we would see a lot more low ratings.  People tend to get pissed when they lose everything.
st4rdust (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:33:15 PM

I've been wanting to get my hands on a good SSD for a while now. The technology keeps improving at a surprising rate, even for computer hardware, and the current generation has some amazing specs. Couldn't help but posting the link to the Raptor drives though, as I can remember a couple years back, before SSDs were as commercially viable as they are now, drooling over the prospect of RAIDing two or more 10kRPM drives for my boot/gaming drive. I wonder if, say, four of these in a RAID 0 would offer any performance advantage over current generation SSDs, or if the technology has been completely surpassed by SSD tech.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: