Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:19:13 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wallet and .0000001 btc  (Read 970 times)
coyote jack (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:22:31 PM

I'm new to bitcoin and have a couple of probably dumb questions.

1.  my wallet address - does it ever change or can I use the same address forever?
2.  Yesterday I recieved three .0000001 transfers to my wallet (on my computer) all with the same time stamp.  I have signed up anywhere for free coins.  I read somewhere that when you move BITCOINS from your wallet there is sometimes "dust?" or is this someone trying to gain access to my wallet?

thank you,
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:24:23 PM

you can use the adress forever Wink

it's unlikely, someone probably typed a wrong adress somewhere and therefore you got some free coins Cheesy

gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:29:42 PM

Same, received 2 transactions of 0.0000001 but they havent been confirmed.
majorX

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:31:26 PM

I got unconfirmed 0.00000001 btc as well, would be funny if some miner included it in the block, but I doubt it, the fee for the spammy transaction is too low...
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:03:54 PM

Those 1 satoshi tx will never get confirmed, for 2 reasons.
(1) It have way below min fee (min fee = 0.0001/KB)
(2) The outputs are less than the 5430 threshold
julestheminer

Activity: 26

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:04:30 PM

Huh. How weird.... is this some kind of new DDOS attack? Seems a bit silly... I doubt it'll get anywhere.
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:09:22 PM

Huh. How weird.... is this some kind of new DDOS attack?

Not really.
It is some sort of advertisement indeed.
If you check those tx on blockchain.info, you will find the sender address has a link to a site called Bitwars...

So, that site probably just try to attract more people by annoying everyone....
bluemist

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 05:31:19 PM

I've been receiving these too on several addresses - It looks like the spam idea is catching on and lots of people are using it to try and promote their sites
Rulishix

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:10:28 PM

These small transactions are very annoying and spamming up the blockchain. Hope they are dealt with soon!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4659

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:48:46 AM

I'm new to bitcoin and have a couple of probably dumb questions.

1.  my wallet address - does it ever change or can I use the same address forever?

You can use the same bitcoin address forever if you want to, but you don't have to.

It can be better and safer to use a new address for every transaction.  There is no limit on how many addresses you can create if you want.  An address is NOT an account number.  It is just a way for your wallet to identify a transaction that has been sent to you.  Using a new address for every transaction gives you a way to track and account for all your transactions.  It also increases your anonymity and security a bit.

If you decide in the future to switch to a new wallet software, it can be a hassle to try to export an address from one wallet and import it into another wallet.  If you use a new address for every transaction, then there is no need to import any addresses to a new wallet.

2.  Yesterday I recieved three .0000001 transfers to my wallet (on my computer) all with the same time stamp.  I have signed up anywhere for free coins.

Somebody generated a list of every bitcoin address that ever received any bitcoins from anywhere.  Then they started sending extremely tiny amounts to each and every address in their list.  They paid an insufficient transaction fee for the HUGE number of bytes it takes to send a single transaction to that many addresses, so the transactions will never confirm and will eventually (within a few days) simply disappear.  This is a spam advertising technique, and a rather ineffective one.  You can just ignore these transactions.  They won't have any effect on your wallet.

I read somewhere that when you move BITCOINS from your wallet there is sometimes "dust?"

If you receive LOTS of extremely small value transactions that all sucessfully CONFIRM and are therefore usable by your wallet, then they can increase the transaction fees that you will have to pay when you try to spend that value later. 

or is this someone trying to gain access to my wallet?

No.  This will not allow anyone to access your wallet.
vmmo96

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 01:30:35 AM

you can use the bitcoin adress forever Cheesy
xinzark
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:31:49 AM

These are those guy who spam around promoting thier site or business just ignore it .

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:41:52 AM

I have tried to post for a few times but failed.

just want to say that you can use one address only. I normally create a few different to track the money better.

like one for trading, one for mining, one for begging, etc.
yntro

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:27:44 PM

you can use the bitcoin adress forever Cheesy

well unless BTC dies :DD then no.. look left and pju pju pju

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1]