Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:56:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposition for the new forum software.  (Read 1588 times)
Anonymous

October 03, 2011, 06:47:41 PM
Last edit: October 03, 2011, 07:07:11 PM by Immanuel Go

While I should of just posted this within the specific thread, I have too much passion for this idea for it to be obscured within the boundaries of its pages. I want it to happen.

Here's the idea:

Imagine a forum pot that people can donate Bitcoins into that will pay people per post according to a certain ratio. So, if there's say 100 Bitcoins in the pot and a post is valued at .01% of the pot, a user will recieve .10 Bitcoins per every post they make. If the post is spam and void of value, obviously it will be deleted before the Bitcoins can be claimed. We could also make it as simple as moderators marking certain threads, boards and users non-bitcoinable, if you will.

Theory:

1. People will donate into the pot when forum content is good.

2. When content is bad, the users pay will stagnate.

3. Users will then have the incentive to post better.

4. More donations will then be received in the spirit of the greater value made by the forum and users will receive a greater pay.

Net Result: More value created for and by the forum as a whole.

Thoughts?

EDIT: My idea does not apply to already-made posts. In addition, there would need to be a retention period of a week or so for earned Bitcoins to prevent spam.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gerken

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 06:55:52 PM

So all I need to do is form a group of people who all upvote each other and sit back and collect my moola? Sounds like a well thought out idea, you go with it. 

Gerken

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 07:03:10 PM

Doesn't have to be spam thats being upvoted, you underestimate people if you really think this won't be gamed (and not obvious stuff like upvoting spam  Roll Eyes ).  Then ifwhen its abused it just won't be used, then it was a waste of time implementing it. 

Gerken

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 07:08:13 PM

Then how do you propose to assess the "value" of a post without a voting system?

JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 07:14:49 PM

Would probably work better with a bodybuilding.com-style reputation system
Gerken

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Oh.  That's even dumber than I thought to begin with.  Knock yourself out though I guess. 

JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
October 03, 2011, 08:28:45 PM

Would probably work better with a bodybuilding.com-style reputation system
You could be proposing many different things.

We've tried just using upvote/downvote and people just went around downvoting everybody. In the end, these rep points have no value. They provide no incentive. Nothing. They cost nothing to give and thus are valueless when received.

As with Bitcoins, they're valuable. They provide actual incentive and can provide actual returns.

We could have users receive a pay-per-post in addition to having the ability to pay it forward to individual users they like. We could tie a rep bar into that. That's not a bad idea.

Now, just having users spread others Bitcoins around using upvotes sounds useless unless its the upvoter's Bitcoins from the start. There's a site that already does that with lackluster results. It's a hassle to pay into in contrast to a single, collective donation box.

You could dole out a set of reputation points to the donators, and then their "upvotes" carry more weight and could award Bitcoins out of the pot.
bitlover

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 04:24:46 AM

Immanuel, you seem to believe that, by having a monetary reward tied to posting then the quality of the posting will improve. But the thing is that people with good ideas love to exchange them with similar people, they do not do post in order to get a (monetary) reward and giving them one will not change this. That's the whole point of the forum for them: a place of exchange and evaluation of ideas. Therefore, it is highly likely that the BTC reward will only encourage shitposting disguised as valuable contributions, which will make it even harder to differentiate the good stuff from the crap. Thus, your idea not only will not improve the overall quality of the forum but actively hurt it.

Have you ever seen one of those late night infomercials where they want you to join some make-money-for-sure scam? Most of them have a guy waving a some stacks of bills around. Do you know why? because that's the stuff that attracts their main customers (greedy or dumb people). What you are proposing is akin to that, it will attract the wrong kind of person.

Finally, in an unrelated note: You seem to use overly long words when simple ones would be perfect. You may think this makes you look smart but it does the opposite. But don't take my word, listen to George Orwell who said: "Never use a long word where a short one will do." Long words don’t make you sound intelligent unless used skillfully. In the wrong situation they’ll have the opposite effect, making you sound pretentious and arrogant. They’re also less likely to be understood and more awkward to read.  (Read his essay on this at http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/essays/politics-and-the-english-language.htm)

Believe me, you're not using those words skillfully.
cruikshank

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 08:43:39 AM

1. Would a post be paid just the same if it was lengthy and well thought out, versus a single comment? If so, the incentive would be to to have more post quantity rather then post quality then.
3. What would stop posts that aren't spam, but also aren't constructive or really thought out that well?
4. What about bots that are that have responses saved, and simply use context from a thread to choose something to say? I have seen a lot of bots on IRC that do the same thing. The more chatter, the bigger the comment pool they have saved.

Might just be better off to have another restricted board of some sort, similar to the Newbie section, but with longer probation and post requirements. Could

1JvnFCbMXAyeooPggF9snLAeg3A2QVV8eh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: