Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 12:31:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to find a bootstrap.dat.gz to speedup newmachines sync?  (Read 1137 times)
alexwbc (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:13:21 PM

most update one possible... torrents is appreciated, but direct download would be <3ed

anyway, not this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/bootstrap.dat.torrent/download
since it's uncompressed.
Thanks for any suggestion
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:58:46 PM

why do you need it compressed? is bandwidth an issue?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 10:38:13 PM

most update one possible... torrents is appreciated, but direct download would be <3ed

anyway, not this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/bootstrap.dat.torrent/download
since it's uncompressed.
Thanks for any suggestion

Ah well there's a reason for that. An uncompressed torrent allows you to update to a new version of the of torrent from the point at which the previous version ends. So for example it used to 10GB and now it is 13GB. You want to switch to seeding the 13GB version you just have to download 3GB not the full 13GB. Something like that.

Anyway if can't download the uncompressed version use a thin client like Electrum.
alexwbc (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:43:08 AM

Thanks for the info, I am looking forward for it.

Anyway, still looking for the compressed file.  Cry
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:03:02 PM

Thanks for the info, I am looking forward for it.

Anyway, still looking for the compressed file.  Cry
you're likely not going to save much bandwidth by compressing it. I did a quick test with lmza2 and the compression ratio was only 67%

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
alexwbc (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 09:11:14 AM

you're likely not going to save much bandwidth by compressing it. I did a quick test with lmza2 and the compression ratio was only 67%
I am glad to know you don't have the problem to spare such bandwidth, but I do. Still any useful advice is highly appreciated.
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 09:42:36 AM

I am glad to know you don't have the problem to spare such bandwidth, but I do. Still any useful advice is highly appreciated.

Well let's see. I believe the download is 13GB? I think you'll need at least as much to compress it and 500MB-1GB for the OS. So please rent a VPS or cloud server with 30GB disk space, install rtorrent to download the uncompressed version. VPS have faster connections than home/office systems so the download should be done in a few hours. Compress the file and download it to your home/office system via http or ftp. If you can contribute by setting up a seedbox + torrent of the compressed version then that would be great too but obviously not required for your purposes.

You can find cheap VPS on lowendbox.com
alexwbc (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 05:33:25 PM

Thanks for the suggested alternative, those who can afford it may have a solution in your suggestion... that's a really smart and reusable option. but I can't afford it actually  Sad

If anyone knows a place where I can directly download the GZed blockchain, it would be greatly appreciated. <3
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 05:55:01 PM

Thanks for the suggested alternative, those who can afford it may have a solution in your suggestion... that's a really smart and reusable option. but I can't afford it actually  Sad

If anyone knows a place where I can directly download the GZed blockchain, it would be greatly appreciated. <3

I don't know what your situation is but if you can't download it yourself why not put up a thread in the services forum seeking someone who will download it for you, burn it to a few DVDs or a USB stick and mail it to you? It should be safe to do this because the file's checksums are published online and bitcoin-qt does verify it as it imports blocks from it.
alexwbc (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:16:00 AM

I am beginning to think someone has to make a stick post with all your solutions for the newbies good  Wink
Anyway; only viable solution for me actually is to connect everything at once.. then backup the whole folder: if I do someway manage to stay under internet bandwidth cap  Cry
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 01:32:34 AM

i used to have a compressed file hosted on one of my servers, but i got tired of it being the target of DoS attacks over and over
Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:35:12 AM

I don't know what your situation is but if you can't download it yourself why not put up a thread in the services forum seeking someone who will download it for you, burn it to a few DVDs or a USB stick and mail it to you? It should be safe to do this because the file's checksums are published online and bitcoin-qt does verify it as it imports blocks from it.

I'll gzip & seed it for a price. I would do it for free, but, it's not free for me. Bandwidth costs money, so does thirty odd gigabytes worth of space.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: