Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 03:20:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New to bitcoin is buying from MTGOX too big a risk?  (Read 1705 times)
humma78 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 06:15:17 PM

Hi all I know I'm very late to the party but if I don't get in now I may never do it. I'm about to spend about £650 / $1000 on bit coin and see that the prices at MTGOX are a lot lower due to their current issues. Do you think it's worth purchasing my first coins from them or pay the higher price from say Bitstamp or another trader. Any tips are welcome as this is all currently new to me but I'm keen to learn more about it.
Waramp22

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 06:16:20 PM

Dont do it.

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
humma78 (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 06:21:42 PM

Dont do it.
Thank, care to elaborate or point me to where I should purchase from? Thanks again.
Waramp22

Activity: 321

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 06:45:48 PM

Dont do it.
Thank, care to elaborate or point me to where I should purchase from? Thanks again.
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=mtgox

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
bluemist

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 06:56:02 PM

Dont do it.

There's a chance that if you buy at Gox you'll never be able to withdraw them. Even if they do start allowing BTC withdrawals again everyone is going to be rushing to get their coins out. And who knows if they have the funds to cover it all...

It could pay off and score you some very cheap coins, but it's a big risk and I wouldn't recommend it.

bitstamp.com and localbitcoins.com have always worked well for me
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 07:17:31 PM

Dont do it.

Just do some research on Gox and you'll see why. The prices are low on there for a reason. Avoid Gox at all costs.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 07:53:46 PM

Agree with the above posts that you should stay away from mtgox.

My own suggestion for exchanges:
If you don't want to do ID verification, go to localbitcoins.
If you are in US, go to coinbase.
If you are outside US, go to bitstamp.

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 07:57:27 PM

There is far too much risk. Avoid Gox at all costs.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
OrnateRock

Activity: 54

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 08:00:39 PM

Agreed. Gox is not reliable anymore, use btce or smth like this.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 08:11:39 PM

I don't think it's been reliable in over a year.
RileyN

Activity: 62

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:05:23 PM

I don't think it's been reliable in over a year.
Ye, it's sad tho... first ever Bitcoin exchange is going down the drain.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:10:44 PM

Hi all I know I'm very late to the party but if I don't get in now I may never do it. I'm about to spend about £650 / $1000 on bit coin and see that the prices at MTGOX are a lot lower due to their current issues. Do you think it's worth purchasing my first coins from them or pay the higher price from say Bitstamp or another trader. Any tips are welcome as this is all currently new to me but I'm keen to learn more about it.

Before you do anything with Mt. Gox, u must read this => http://www.coindesk.com/watch-man-confront-ceo-mt-gox-missing-bitcoins/

prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 09:14:00 PM

If you already have dollars in MtGox you should buy BTC now, they are extremely cheap there at the moment because most people are in a state of panic because of all the fearmongering going on (but they will be proven wrong because all that BS is completely unfounded). If you don't yet have money in gox then its probably too late to get money in before BTC withdrals are enabled again and BTC price shoots up to 800 on gox.

TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 09:14:47 PM

If you are located in Scandinavia (or EU), then can I recommend bitcoin nordic:
https://bitcoinnordic.com/

I have made many trades with them (both redraw and deposits), very smooth, I had no problem with them so far.
They have always processed my order within 24 hours on working days.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
Rulishix

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:22:58 PM

Stay far away from Mt. Gox as they are going down soon. They were doomed to fail from the start.
fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 10:56:32 PM

Should be very obvious, look at the price.. to back up what happened..

prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 12:06:24 AM

Stay far away from Mt. Gox as they are going down soon. They were doomed to fail from the start.
Stop spreading FUD.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:36:48 AM

At this very moment, the exchange rate at MtGox is $374.50 and the exchange rate at BitStamp is $653.00

This is essentially telling you that the market as a whole (the average of all the opinions of everybody that is exchanging at either MtGox or BitStamp) has determined that you are 74.4% more likely to receive your bitcoins from BitStamp than you are to receive them from MtGox.

Imagine the following scenario:

I tell you that if you want to buy bitcoins from me, I 'm going to draw a random lottery ball between 1 and 1000.  If the number I draw is between 1 and 256, then you get nothing at all and I keep your money.  If the number I draw is between 257 and 1000 then I'll deliver your bitcoins to you at some time in the future, but I won't tell you exactly when (maybe sometime next week if I feel like it).  I'm charging $374.50 per bitcoin.

My friend standing next to me tells you that if you want to buy bitcoins from him, he's going to charge $653.00.  He will immediately deliver the bitcoins.

Which of us do you buy the bitcoins from?
KimNg

Activity: 169

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:27:16 AM

Coinbase worked good for me.

linusinthesapphire

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:29:22 AM

I can also say coinbase works.  When I decided to cash out of bitcoin I sent a little bit to several different exchange sites, ranging from possible to impossible to successfully sell at a decent price with reasonable commission and smooth bank verification and relatively short transaction time. 

As for mtgox, remember every 'investment' involves risk and it is up to you and only you to understand the risks involved.  that said going into mtgox is very risky but has a higher rate of return for when they fix the problem and the panic disappears and the price skyrockets to new highs.  I read they are allowing BTC deposits again and cash (not USD) withdraws again. 

So perhaps another week of "smart money" buying into the insane low price, they will have enough cash and bitcoin to accomodate just enough demand to continue the ponzi
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: