Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:44:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost password and seed  (Read 919 times)
Howinthe? (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:00:46 AM

I don't know how it happened but I printed out my seed and qr code, folded it up, put it in an envelope and hid it. Now I can't find it. I only have two bitcoins but they are now stuck inside my own wallet.The wallet is now seedless so I tried to use the private key .csv file so I can spend my btc through another wallet, but I can't figure out how the .csv file is supposed to work. It can't be imported as a csv so how do I go about importing it to another wallet.

It is horribly frustrating. I bought them back when one btc was going for 60 bucks and some change and proceeded to forget about them. Now I can only just look at them. HELP! anyone got answers. There is no clear info I can find online right now.

Thanks
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:27:19 AM

I don't know how it happened but I printed out my seed and qr code, folded it up, put it in an envelope and hid it. Now I can't find it. I only have two bitcoins but they are now stuck inside my own wallet.The wallet is now seedless so I tried to use the private key .csv file so I can spend my btc through another wallet, but I can't figure out how the .csv file is supposed to work. It can't be imported as a csv so how do I go about importing it to another wallet.

It is horribly frustrating. I bought them back when one btc was going for 60 bucks and some change and proceeded to forget about them. Now I can only just look at them. HELP! anyone got answers. There is no clear info I can find online right now.

Thanks

What wallet are you using?

(My best guess is Electrum?)

How difficult is your password likely to be? (a simple 5 letter single word? a completely random set of 35 characters making use of both upper and lower case as well as punctuation/symbols? A set of 35 completely random and unrealted words?)
Howinthe? (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:01:27 AM

Yes it is electrum.

The password was most likely 5-8 letters and some numbers but I really don't remember setting one. The wallet is seedless at this point. So I am thinking the password won't help unless I have the seed. Is that right?

There has to be a solution out there other than having someone else hack my wallet.

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 03:06:50 AM

do you give any bounty if I will help? I will tell you how to make it work for 0.3 BTC
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:20:16 AM

do you give any bounty if I will help? I will tell you how to make it work for 0.3 BTC

You're going to sell the guy his own money?

That doesn't seem very nice.

I suspect that if you just wait for a few more Electrum experts to come along, someone else will be willing to help for free (although if you appreciate the assistance, it would be great to offer a tip afterwards).

I'm not an expert on Electrum, but I suspect that any private keys that you have (in the .csv) are probably encrypted with the password.  If this is true, then you'll need to remember as much as possible about the password to access the private keys.  The more you can recall the more likely that a brute force program can crack it for you.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 03:23:12 AM

He told like he dont remember to set any password.
If he have private keys just  try to import them in app toolbar...

Smiley I realy don't want to sell to him his money. I just wanted some bounty for help!
Smiley

If this is so bad ok, I try my help for free.
Import private keys manually from file Wink

Howinthe? (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 04:00:21 AM

I tried that and I get and error that electrum doesn't understand the file format or something like that.

I also don't get prompted to give a password at that point. I'm not sure when the password would come into play.

I'm not offended by asking for payment. It's better than getting robbed, but I would like to figure it out so I could do it myself if it ever happens again.
Howinthe? (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 04:07:03 AM

Is there a way to look at the private key in the .csv file because it seems like the electrum wallet or even other online wallets I have tried don't accept files. It seems to want me to type in a hexadecimal number or something like that.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:09:07 AM

Is there a way to look at the private key in the .csv file because it seems like the electrum wallet or even other online wallets I have tried don't accept files. It seems to want me to type in a hexadecimal number or something like that.

Verify that the csv really does contain private keys. Open the file in notepad and see if it has any 51-character strings starting with 5. If so, import them manually using the wallet/keys menu item.
Howinthe? (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:36:35 PM

I am using a mac so I opened the .csv with text edit and it says "address, private_key"
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:38:27 PM

I am using a mac so I opened the .csv with text edit and it says "address, private_key"

And nothing else?

Then that isn't a private key .csv file (or rather it's an empty one).
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 12:22:33 AM

The .csv file is just a plain text file that you can open with any plain text editor or even a word processor if you have to.

The address, private key pairs are start on the second line. For example here's a test wallet:

Code:
address,private_key
1ETcLR3LULxJ9G9Pey5gLuC2Pbcrrrd1sV,5KGqiVAQStjj2zf6Q3a1SAYhP4UCw2Fh9PweN2bUTPDSatyme5S
1F4VxT6gPoKxp63e29fnBPEMeDa2ALegxi,5Jverug9poXUgi73A4n3ZRRLRCfqkNAYs5wZCLv5meNxh8qjr91
1LfjdJVsNUtFkbzjitSJuNkYNWZa7oZHeD,5JHcR5YmxBWggQazHHLHw5y43ogT3nNvsA2RufrKAtavRqswvhb

So you can get back your coins very easily.

- Run electrum

- Go to file menu > new/restore > navigate to a convenient location on your file system and enter a filename for your new wallet > click save

- Then proceed to create a new wallet as normal.

- Once you've created a new wallet import your private keys by Wallet menu> private keys >import. Click yes to make the warning go away and then enter each key on one line like so:

Code:
5KGqiVAQStjj2zf6Q3a1SAYhP4UCw2Fh9PweN2bUTPDSatyme5S
5Jverug9poXUgi73A4n3ZRRLRCfqkNAYs5wZCLv5meNxh8qjr91

- Click on import and you are done!

Howinthe? (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:59:13 AM

Did I receive an empty .csv file because my wallet is seedless? Because my file does not have the numbers on the second line only "address, private key"
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:30:39 AM

Did I receive an empty .csv file because my wallet is seedless? Because my file does not have the numbers on the second line only "address, private key"

Yeah I thought you created the csv file using your seeded wallet.

Anyway to summarise a) you lost the seed b) you only have the seedless wallet. To recover the wallet you need the seed. Nothing can be done without it. Your only option at this point in time is to search for the seed. It's bound to turn up somewhere. Try to think of where you might have placed it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: