Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 08:16:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Offline no internet/no service CELL phone as cold storage?  (Read 698 times)
mskryxz (OP)

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:59:15 AM

If I put pictures or into a note pad of my public key / private key on a cell phone that has no service or internet, would that be considered safe?
Lets say also the phone will be password protected 8+ digits and the cell phone was kept turned off in a safe.

other than the actual phone not turning on in 5 years later ? how safe would this be as an alternative? could even have usb + paper wallet + cold cell phone in a safe?

thoughts with the cell phone idea?
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 03:00:37 AM

If I put pictures or into a note pad of my public key / private key on a cell phone that has no service or internet, would that be considered safe?
Lets say also the phone will be password protected 8+ digits and the cell phone was kept turned off in a safe.

other than the actual phone not turning on in 5 years later ? how safe would this be as an alternative? could even have usb + paper wallet + cold cell phone in a safe?

You can memorize private key Smiley that would be safest method Tongue
lunas

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 04:04:16 AM

Why a whole phone a sd card with a txt file on it shold work just as well but the media your looking for is an m.disk it is a dvd-r that the data ayer is made of stone...good for 1000 years but theoretically should hold up 10,000 years but the polycarb is only good for 1000

I have been wondering about nfc tags as well like take a blank write once and put some coin on it and then hand it off as a method of payment in the real world type thing.

The only thing i could find on that is they made a paper wallet out of one and they had to cut the private key and paste it after retrieving it. Not exactly convenient to do but it worked for them.

virtualmaster

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:19:45 AM

Every mobile phone has a second operating system which can be activated even if you switch off your cell phone and that makes it insecure.
Only if you remove the battery is secure but then you cannot read your stored passwords.
http://www.osnews.com/story/27416/The_second_operating_system_hiding_in_every_mobile_phone
I would say a small eBook reader like Kobo mini(50$) is more secure as mobile password keeper or brainwallet generator for Bitcoin, Namecoin or other.
Unfortunately there is no proper software installed on it for this purpose.
However it is a Linux system on it and they are some descriptions how to modify it to be suited for this task.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222123
The processor speed is also low for a key stretching and the screen is small so you need an adapted hash or key generator.(that would work without changing the OS also with html)
Changing the OS settings you could run keepass also on it.
Going over this aspects relating commodity the security would be much higher then by an eBook reader 1. you don't have an automatic network connection and 2. you have a secure OS.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: