Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:03:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Am Trying To Start A Bitcoin Club For Chinese High School Students  (Read 1070 times)
Siegfried (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:04:40 AM

I am trying to start a bitcoin club for Chinese high school students, and I would much appreciate your input on how to best advertise and attract interest. In particular, what do you think should be the stated objectives of the club and what do you think should be some activities. I have some ideas, but I am sure some of the more creative and intelligent minds out there can help make it better than me alone. Keep in mind that this is supposed to be an educational extra-curricular activity, so the technological, macro-economic, and entrepreneurial aspects should be emphasized, not the speculative, get-rich-quick aspect. I am trying to do something in my meager capacity to contribute to bitcoin, so any good ideas that you provide will help to promote our common cause.
btc advocate

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 04:18:20 AM

Are you a high school teacher in China? but are you sure the Principal is happy about that? i think "FREE Lunch + Bitcoin introduction seminar" should attract students  Grin
Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:00:03 AM

I am trying to start a bitcoin club for Chinese high school students, and I would much appreciate your input on how to best advertise and attract interest. In particular, what do you think should be the stated objectives of the club and what do you think should be some activities. I have some ideas, but I am sure some of the more creative and intelligent minds out there can help make it better than me alone. Keep in mind that this is supposed to be an educational extra-curricular activity, so the technological, macro-economic, and entrepreneurial aspects should be emphasized, not the speculative, get-rich-quick aspect. I am trying to do something in my meager capacity to contribute to bitcoin, so any good ideas that you provide will help to promote our common cause.

for me, I need more inspiration, tell us more of your other ideas, tell us what type of school it is, where is it located, what other types of clubs are there

the perspective may be totally different for a club for Chinese students in a school like Bronx High School of Science, where the Chinese population is highly intelligent, poor, and often are not interested finance, as opposed to Chinese students at  Newport Coast who tend not to be as academically inclined but finance is their best friend -- there btc 101 could be a mandatory class.

Siegfried (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:40:56 AM

Are you a high school teacher in China? but are you sure the Principal is happy about that? i think "FREE Lunch + Bitcoin introduction seminar" should attract students  Grin

for me, I need more inspiration, tell us more of your other ideas, tell us what type of school it is, where is it located, what other types of clubs are there

the perspective may be totally different for a club for Chinese students in a school like Bronx High School of Science, where the Chinese population is highly intelligent, poor, and often are not interested finance, as opposed to Chinese students at  Newport Coast who tend not to be as academically inclined but finance is their best friend -- there btc 101 could be a mandatory class.

Yes, it is an international school for students who plan to study abroad in the United States, Canada, the U.K, or Australia. Most of the students come from wealthy or upper-middle class families and many of them are very intelligent and curious. All of my colleagues already know of my deep interest in bitcoin and although I have not made any particular outreach efforts toward students, a few of them have already found out about my interest and approached me about it. I helped them download Mycelium bitcoin wallet or directed them to Blockchain.info and gave them a few mBTC to show them how it works. I also told them to visit the one restaurant in the city, owned by my friend, that accepts bitcoin.

My plan at this point is still rather vague. It would begin with an introduction and tutorial. Then there would be a research stage, where students would be assigned to research and give presentations about different aspects of bitcoin. There could be efforts to get some local businesses to accept bitcoin and other community outreach efforts (I have already started a QQ group for the city which has several dozen members, but there have not been any real-world meetups yet). We could conduct a fundraising activity for a foreign charity and transmit the funds internationally through bitcoin. We could network with other bitcoin organizations in other countries.

I really do not think there will be any objections from the authorities so long as it is presented and conducted primarily as an educational activity.

Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 06:24:31 AM

Tell them not to sell their kidneys for bitcoin.

I am half serious.
Armis

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:11:10 AM

Yes, it is an international school for students who plan to study abroad in the United States, Canada, the U.K, or Australia. Most of the students come from wealthy or upper-middle class families and many of them are very intelligent and curious. All of my colleagues already know of my deep interest in bitcoin and although I have not made any particular outreach efforts toward students, a few of them have already found out about my interest and approached me about it. I helped them download Mycelium bitcoin wallet or directed them to Blockchain.info and gave them a few mBTC to show them how it works. I also told them to visit the one restaurant in the city, owned by my friend, that accepts bitcoin.

My plan at this point is still rather vague. It would begin with an introduction and tutorial. Then there would be a research stage, where students would be assigned to research and give presentations about different aspects of bitcoin. There could be efforts to get some local businesses to accept bitcoin and other community outreach efforts (I have already started a QQ group for the city which has several dozen members, but there have not been any real-world meetups yet). We could conduct a fundraising activity for a foreign charity and transmit the funds internationally through bitcoin. We could network with other bitcoin organizations in other countries.

I really do not think there will be any objections from the authorities so long as it is presented and conducted primarily as an educational activity.

That's fantastic, your ideas are wonderful.   

I would suggest a project with huge potential wins, win for you, your club members, your school, the bitcoin community, your country and many other people around the world.

The first step is to look for a problem in the area of concentration (bitcoin) that you would like to focus your attention.

I think you should look at the creation of self-regulating guidelines for the cryptocurrency industry with a focus on bitcoin.

Such a project addresses a real and present need, has a good purpose, has specific goals and will result in all club members knowing the basics of bitcoin, getting introduced to local and perhaps national govt, and also meeting bitcoin leaders in various countries.   Such a project will give you the REAL opportunity to shape Bitcoin's future in a meaningful way.

I would also suggest that you video the whole experience, and upload it as an reality show.   Not only will it be a great club project, it will likely inspire other schools around the world to follow your lead. 

It may sound ambitious but I assure you are ready for the challenge.

I'm willing to provide support, and I'm sure many others from outside of your club will be willing to help your club as well.   

elavenil

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:15:52 PM

Be careful if you are living in china.

China

On 5 December 2013, China Central Bank barred financial institutions from handling Bitcoin transactions, moving to regulate the virtual currency. The People's Bank of China said financial institutions and payment companies can’t give pricing in Bitcoin, buy and sell the virtual currency or insure Bitcoin-linked products, according to a statement on the central bank’s website.[6] On 16 December it was speculated that the People's Bank of China had issued a new ban on third-party payment processors from doing business with Bitcoin exchanges,[7] however a statement from BTC China suggests this isn't accurate, and rather payment processors had voluntarily withdrawn their services.[8] Trading bitcoins by individuals is however legal in china.

Anytime they will make bitcoin illegal.

Armis

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:14:05 AM

Be careful if you are living in china.

China

On 5 December 2013, China Central Bank barred financial institutions from handling Bitcoin transactions, moving to regulate the virtual currency. The People's Bank of China said financial institutions and payment companies can’t give pricing in Bitcoin, buy and sell the virtual currency or insure Bitcoin-linked products, according to a statement on the central bank’s website.[6] On 16 December it was speculated that the People's Bank of China had issued a new ban on third-party payment processors from doing business with Bitcoin exchanges,[7] however a statement from BTC China suggests this isn't accurate, and rather payment processors had voluntarily withdrawn their services.[8] Trading bitcoins by individuals is however legal in china.

Anytime they will make bitcoin illegal.

You are misinterpreting what China is doing, China is taking a measured and reasonable approach to btc,

China controls the internet to protect it's varying interests in many ways, that is an extremely difficult undertaking, but far greater than that
China also has instituted controls on the God given human right of Chinese citizens to have children, so don't think for a moment that China is doing
anything more than controlling what happens in their country.  

Some time ago Bitcoin was not legal in China, then it became legal, then it got limited, now it's somewhere between all of that.  As it stands now China has the #1 btc exchange in the world, with volume almost the size of all of the other exchanges combined

The world should be grateful that China is taking a responsible position towards the cryptocurrency.  What occurred at Mt Gox could happen at MANY other places including the massive exchange in China.   Explosive growth is usually an indication of customers caught up in marketing hype, it is not indicative of common market forces at play.  

Clearly too many people are blindly trusting entities that look like responsible market professionals with billions of fiat yet NONE of the standard securities, insurances, guarantees, or even informative history are in place to properly inform or protect them.    Sure govt could look the other way and rescue them when the S hits the fan, or allow the market to flush 'stupid' out of it's system, it's a very difficult decision to make.

Siegfried (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 06:29:22 AM

I would suggest a project with huge potential wins, win for you, your club members, your school, the bitcoin community, your country and many other people around the world.

The first step is to look for a problem in the area of concentration (bitcoin) that you would like to focus your attention.

I think you should look at the creation of self-regulating guidelines for the cryptocurrency industry with a focus on bitcoin.

Such a project addresses a real and present need, has a good purpose, has specific goals and will result in all club members knowing the basics of bitcoin, getting introduced to local and perhaps national govt, and also meeting bitcoin leaders in various countries.   Such a project will give you the REAL opportunity to shape Bitcoin's future in a meaningful way.

I would also suggest that you video the whole experience, and upload it as an reality show.   Not only will it be a great club project, it will likely inspire other schools around the world to follow your lead.  

I'm willing to provide support, and I'm sure many others from outside of your club will be willing to help your club as well.  

Thanks for your encouragement. What you suggest might be a little too advanced for the students at this stage, but as I have been thinking about it I have started to form a more concrete plan.

In the first meeting I will instruct all of the students to get a bitcoin wallet - for those with Android I will recommend Mycelium and I will tell those unfortunates with Apple devices to use blockchain.info. Then I will distribute a small amount of bitcoin to each of the students and assign them the task of finding a charity online that accepts bitcoin and make a donation. (If anyone knows of a good list of charities that accept bitcoin, please share.) By doing this everyone will have a basic understanding of the functionality of bitcoin.

In the second meeting I will assign some questions about bitcoin for the students to research and report back at the next meeting. Some of the questions will be: What is the origin of bitcoin? What is bitcoin mining? How can people buy bitcoin? How do people use bitcoin? How many people use bitcoin? What is the difference between the bitcoin money supply and the money supply of traditional government currencies? What is the central authority that manages bitcoin? What are the advantages of bitcoin over the traditional banking system? What are some major bitcoin companies?

In the following meetings we will work on educating people about bitcoin, networking with other bitcoin organizations around the world, organizing a local charity event using bitcoin, etc.
hostmaster

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 06:32:15 AM

Nice idea!
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 07:36:41 AM

This has been done before, there's even a sub forum here just for that

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 07:56:44 AM

This has been done before, there's even a sub forum here just for that

link pls

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=17.0

Armis

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:16:14 AM

thanks for the link

as you can see that forum targets a specific interest group, clearly the OP wanted to broaden his perspective. 

Personally I would not have visited that forum because I would have expected to see a language that I do not understand.   

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 08:18:09 AM

thanks for the link

as you can see that forum targets a specific interest group, clearly the OP wanted to broaden his perspective. 

Personally I would not have visited that forum because I would have expected to see a language that I do not understand.   

True it's relevant though and maybe helpful

GoldBit89

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

Its all about the Gold

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 12:36:22 PM

Such a project addresses a real and present need, has a good purpose, has specific goals and will result in all club members knowing the basics of bitcoin, getting introduced to local and perhaps national govt, and also meeting bitcoin leaders in various countries.   Such a project will give you the REAL opportunity to shape Bitcoin's future in a meaningful way.

I would also suggest that you video the whole experience, and upload it as an reality show.   Not only will it be a great club project, it will likely inspire other schools around the world to follow your lead.  

Thanks for your encouragement. What you suggest might be a little too advanced for the students at this stage, but as I have been thinking about it I have started to form a more concrete plan.

In the first meeting I will instruct all of the students to get a bitcoin wallet - for those with Android I will recommend Mycelium and I will tell those unfortunates with Apple devices to use blockchain.info. Then I will distribute a small amount of bitcoin to each of the students and assign them the task of finding a charity online that accepts bitcoin and make a donation. (If anyone knows of a good list of charities that accept bitcoin, please share.) By doing this everyone will have a basic understanding of the functionality of bitcoin.

In the second meeting I will assign some questions about bitcoin for the students to research and report back at the next meeting. Some of the questions will be: What is the origin of bitcoin? What is bitcoin mining? How can people buy bitcoin? How do people use bitcoin? How many people use bitcoin? What is the difference between the bitcoin money supply and the money supply of traditional government currencies? What is the central authority that manages bitcoin? What are the advantages of bitcoin over the traditional banking system? What are some major bitcoin companies?

In the following meetings we will work on educating people about bitcoin, networking with other bitcoin organizations around the world, organizing a local charity event using bitcoin, etc.

Definitely consider donating to Sean’s Outpost and help this bitcoin charity serve the homeless.
https://www.smore.com/feux-sean-s-outpost

FTC  6nvzqqaCEizThvgMeC86MGzhAxGzKEtNH8 |WDC WckDxipCes2eBmxrUYEhrUfNNRZexKuYjR  |BQC bSDm3XvauqWWnqrxfimw5wdHVDQDp2U8XU
BOT EjcroqeMpZT4hphY4xYDzTQakwutpnufQR |BTG geLUGuJkhnvuft77ND6VrMvc8vxySKZBUz |LTC  LhXbJMzCqLEzGBKgB2n73oce448BxX1dc4
BTC 1JPzHugtBtPwXgwMqt9rtdwRxxWyaZvk61  |ETH 0xA6cCD2Fb3AC2450646F8D8ebeb14f084F392ACFf
btc advocate

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:44:30 PM

Tell them not to sell their kidneys for bitcoin.

I am half serious.

you are hilarious man lol
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 02:46:39 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2014, 04:14:11 PM by bitpop

btc advocate

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:51:00 PM

That's excellent. Weibo and QQ will get a lot more exposure in China. Which city are you in? My teammate and I are planning to organise a bitcoin meet up in Beijing and Shanghai in coming months. We can even do a short presentation for students…it will be some basic background of btw and the benefits of it to the society Smiley
Siegfried (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 12:02:36 AM

That's excellent. Weibo and QQ will get a lot more exposure in China. Which city are you in? My teammate and I are planning to organise a bitcoin meet up in Beijing and Shanghai in coming months. We can even do a short presentation for students…it will be some basic background of btw and the benefits of it to the society Smiley

That's great. We are in Jinan. Hopefully if our group comes together as I hope, we can send some representatives to the meetup in Beijing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: