Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:21:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So...What Other Weaknesses in Bitcoin Coding Should We Know About?  (Read 1557 times)
rat (OP)

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:56:40 AM

any more surprises lingering down the road?

will mark karpeles let us know when the next crash happens?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:23:27 AM

Of course there will be more surprises down the road. Bitcoin is anything but boring.
prophette

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:52:58 PM

No weakness other than the existance of MtGox. Please read:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=468765.0
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 01:07:03 PM

See https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Double-spending.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:28:09 PM

Of course there will be more surprises down the road. Bitcoin is anything but boring.

It was pretty boring for January and people complained about the price stagnating or not going up, now they complain for the opposite lol.
julestheminer

Activity: 26

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 02:49:05 PM

It was pretty boring for January and people complained about the price stagnating or not going up, now they complain for the opposite lol.

lol, what is with people and complaining these days? Everyone complains about everything...
OceanWhispers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 03:31:11 PM

I don't imagine there will be anything big. Of course there will be ongoing attacks to break the network etc.
Did we ever find out which node(s) were sending out the malleability attack?

lol, what is with people and complaining these days? Everyone complains about everything...

Fucking complainers. Back in my day there wasn't so much complaining! You just took what came your way, and you took it with ya to school in 6 feet of snow, up-hill both ways! Can't people just appreciate what they Have? Geese! Some people's kids....

Wink wink

gpucoolingmethod

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:53:53 PM

Who actually checks the code? I think almost no one because everyone trusts "someone else" will do it.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 05:05:21 PM

What I find troubling is that I don't seem to find anything resembling the transaction malleability issue on the 'official' list of weaknesses.

Am I just missing it?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
julestheminer

Activity: 26

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:46:48 PM

What I find troubling is that I don't seem to find anything resembling the transaction malleability issue on the 'official' list of weaknesses.

Am I just missing it?
eh, the transaction malleability issue doesn't really affect people who wait for confirmation in the blockchain. Here's the wiki link:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_Malleability

Once a few block confirms happen it's all gravy.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:13:15 PM

The weaknesses of Bitcoin are the weaknesses of its users. It is difficult to make a program that anticipates all the various kinds of thinking that everybody might have as to how to use it. The simpler the program, the less mixed up will anyone become.

Bitcoin itself is simple in its operation (even though it is complicated in certain aspects of its programming). As long as folks use Bitcoin in simple fashion, as long as they don't attempt to make it do more or less than it was designed for, it will work well. But as soon as you try to make it do some other things, and adapt it to do so, remember to be very clear with users, and very clear in your own thinking, regarding the changes. The more complicated you make it, the more you will have to stretch your own thinking into all the various kinds of thinking that the various users might have. If you don't do a good job, it will fail.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:16:44 PM

I expect someone to eventually pull off a Sybill attack against a poorly connected merchant node.  There is no guaranteed defense but you increase your resistance by using multiple listening nodes.  Then again maybe I am just crypto-paranoid.
CiaIgle

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:06:16 PM

Is a free coin, so it has all the "weaknesses" associated  Grin
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 10:39:42 PM

Alot. Have fun or step out.

IsaacGoldbourne

Activity: 112

Looking to start various enterprises

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 01:13:22 AM

Who actually checks the code? I think almost no one because everyone trusts "someone else" will do it.
You would be surprised. Check how active the GitHub is.

We are generally not ordinary people, we are almost entirely technology enthusiasts, and the number of cryptographers/programmers is HUGELY disproportionate to averages.

Vote for me for CEO/CNO of MemoryCoin!
CEO: MVTEceoa86dYRsxc2rWCexBMjJmaawMkHZ
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 01:45:07 AM

will mark karpeles let us know when the next crash happens?

I doubt it.

He won't even admit he messed up on so many levels in addition to running away from an in person conversation with a customer at the entrance the MTGOX HQ.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:53:44 AM

eh, the transaction malleability issue doesn't really affect people who wait for confirmation in the blockchain.

Yes, I get that. But the 'Weaknesses' wikipage reads like a list of all the things that _might_ be considered problematic in any fashion.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:08:41 PM

eh, the transaction malleability issue doesn't really affect people who wait for confirmation in the blockchain.
He's right, though; no-where on the weaknesses page does it say it is only listing a subset of weaknesses. It's not a comprehensive list, which is what people want to see.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:33:46 PM

I suspect we'll see a Timejack attack on one of the major mining pools this year if it hasn't been attempted already.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: