Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:31:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GLBSE] Interest in a Thoroughbred Racehorse  (Read 14091 times)
TTBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 01:52:18 AM

Sadly, JE2 and I have determined she is not a racehorse. The trainers and jockeys have confirmed that she does not have a desire to compete. She gave all she had in the last race, and was never in contention. As of now, she is going to be basically given away. The trainer wants to try to run her on the turf, but from a manager's perspective, we will not pay for the experience. We still have an outstanding balance which will be returned to investors.

As a show of good faith to our loyal investors, I am going to place a bid for all membership shares of SATOSHISDAEMON.horse at the IPO price. We recommend you sell at this price. This was an experiment that JE2 and I put together, and don't want ~100 BTC to ruin that relationship. Once the dust settles, we may want to seek a claiming horse and race within 2 weeks of acquisition under a new issue.

Please give 24-48 hours for the bid in the market, while I re-align the wallets & addresses ahead of the holiday weekend (read: I am too disappointed to deal with the loss right now). Thanks to everyone who participated and followed along!

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 02:45:38 AM

I've never really cared about horse racing, in fact I think all animal based sports are a form of animal cruelty, but it was certainly an interesting way to promote bitcoin.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 04:29:22 AM

Classy way to exit... hopefully this great idea can be resurrected with another candidate. Thanks for the fun ride in the racing game for a while, guess I don't need to learn how to make mint juleps quite yet.
PawShaker

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 07:03:20 AM

Hang in there guys. 

Satoshi Dog food might actually a good business model for the bitcoin pet owners.

http://www.metro.ca/recette/3271/barbecue-horsemeat-sirloin-steaks.en.html

I have found this several days ago, but I did not want to spoil good spirits.

And TTBit has just saved her from sharp forks of bitcoin restaurant investors.  Wink

1FQkH63k6hkexFMTRzLtJEE6ZAaTBRhjiS
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 07:38:21 AM

As a show of good faith to our loyal investors, I am going to place a bid for all membership shares of SATOSHISDAEMON.horse at the IPO price. We recommend you sell at this price. This was an experiment that JE2 and I put together, and don't want ~100 BTC to ruin that relationship.

A really noble gesture and thanks a lot for that experiment, even though it didn't work out as intended.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 08:06:44 AM

Awwww, that's so disappointing (that she's not a race horse, not the race result). If I keep my shares (and maybe buy some more Wink ) will they count towards a new horse you buy? Is that in the plans?
Ben Walsh (beamer)

Activity: 343

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 10:13:43 AM

Maybe this is stupid and soppy but I would like to make a payment (5% or so of what I had invested) towards some form of treat for her for the effort she did put in during training etc ...

I've no idea whether something like these are recommended http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Super_Tasty_Crunchies-(2842).aspx, I'll leave you to decide what's most suitable for her.

Please confirm your GLBSE username and I will make the BTC transfer through that.

Your efforts are much appreciated and thanks for bringing something new and different to GLBSE.

I hope we can try again with a different horse at a later date or maybe even a selection of horses to spread some of the risk around.

As a sign of my faith and confidence I pledge 250% of my original investment to any new horse(s) you choose.
TTBit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 10:45:31 AM

Awwww, that's so disappointing (that she's not a race horse, not the race result). If I keep my shares (and maybe buy some more Wink ) will they count towards a new horse you buy? Is that in the plans?

Since we may structure it differently, I suggest you sell after we re-organize. Thanks for the interest!

TTBit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 10:50:14 AM

Maybe this is stupid and soppy but I would like to make a payment (5% or so of what I had invested) towards some form of treat for her for the effort she did put in during training etc ...

I've no idea whether something like these are recommended http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Super_Tasty_Crunchies-(2842).aspx, I'll leave you to decide what's most suitable for her.

Please confirm your GLBSE username and I will make the BTC transfer through that.

Your efforts are much appreciated and thanks for bringing something new and different to GLBSE.

I hope we can try again with a different horse at a later date or maybe even a selection of horses to spread some of the risk around.

As a sign of my faith and confidence I pledge 250% of my original investment to any new horse(s) you choose.

Thanks for the gesture. However, she may be gone already as JE2 was looking for someone to take her last night after the races, rather than have us pay to ship her back.

Ben Walsh (beamer)

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 10:54:04 AM

Do horses always keep the name they start out with in US racing ?

Thanks for the gesture. However, she may be gone already as JE2 was looking for someone to take her last night after the races, rather than have us pay to ship her back.
TTBit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 12:51:38 PM

Do horses always keep the name they start out with in US racing ?

Yes. Names can change until the horse does something official such as a workout or race. Satoshi's Daemon was not her name at birth and I forget her original name at the moment. There was ~$100 fee to change her name when we acquired her.

MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 04:08:47 PM

Since we may structure it differently, I suggest you sell after we re-organize. Thanks for the interest!

What do you mean by this? Do intend to purchase another horse and continue on this path? Will our holidng still count or do we sell up and re-buy on the new offering?
TTBit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 04:41:05 PM

What do you mean by this? Do intend to purchase another horse and continue on this path? Will our holidng still count or do we sell up and re-buy on the new offering?

Sorry,

SATOSHISDAEMON.horse as listed on the GLBSE will, in effect, never pay a dividend. You should sell those shares at 0.210 btc. If we acquire a new horse there will be a new issue, probably with different terms. After we go a few months without any trades, I will request it gets de-listed. Hope this answers your question.

p.s., just waiting on the confirms and I will place a bid of 0.21 for this issue.

MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 04:52:05 PM

Done. I hope good things from you in the future with another interesting glbse listing.

TTBit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 06:42:43 PM

I have placed a bid of 0.21 on SATOSHISDAEMON.HORSE. There will be no dividend, and I will request a de-listing once investors have been satisfied.

Thanks for your interest in the project!

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 10:14:29 PM

A note of post morteum review of this issue?

One of the signal successes of GLBSE, in spite of not having the horse we all hoped for as our champion. The investment was presented clearly, the supporting materials were open and honest, transparency was present in all dealings, and the owners stayed in good communication with the investors. I would suggest that anyone considering offering a participatory investment on the GLBSE study the history of SATSOHISDAEMON.horse and learn how to do it right, and how to stay right with you investors even when it crapped out at the end of the run.

Thank you for offering this, and for running it so well. I look forward to the next opportunity you might come across, this was fun, if not a windfall. Especially after what I dropped at the OTB yesterday on our little Princess, but, for a moment there, I got to play Owner, and that was well worth the price.
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 11:20:11 PM

I'd like to echo the posts regarding the professionalism you have shown here.

As I was planning to invest, I would really love for you to look for another horse.

JE2

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 03:11:00 PM

Unfortunately, things did not work out with Satoshi's Daemon, but we will contiune to look for what we hope will be quality racing prospects. For those of you who wish to contiune to follow our racing pursuits, we have a promising young two year old who will make his first start on Friday, June 1st in race #3 at Evangeline Downs. His name is Shreveport Royale. We "may" offer a portion of him to the Bitcoin world if we feel there is enough interest. His first race will give everyone an opportunity to see him in action before any possible bidding begins. Thanks again to all who have followed us along this horse racing trail. The first link below will take you to the racecard and the second link will take you to our YouTube page where you can see some of his past videos. He is a high strung colt, and we have a bug boy (apprentice jockey who gets a 5 lbs. weight break) in the saddle for the race.

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/EVD060112USA-EQB.html#RACE3

http://www.youtube.com/user/EvansTBRacing#p/u
lomax

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 04:21:21 AM

Should have stayed with the bitcoin naming scheme!:(

"Nakamoto's Nonce", "Peer-to-peer", "Proof of Work", "Difficulty Rising".. 

Ben Walsh (beamer)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:33:50 PM

I've reposted my sell order at 0.21 BTC / share.

When can we expect further purchases to refund investors ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: