Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:02:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Payment Address on Plastic "Credit Card"  (Read 7816 times)
BradZimdack (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 04:04:09 PM

An option to upload a custom design is now available.  During the check out process you can upload a JPEG, and then it gives you the option to place the QR code and plain text address on your image.

I will also be expanding the list of available pre-made designs by offering a 20% rev share for anyone with design talent who wants to participate.  You send me your design, I'll make it an available option, and you'll get 20% of each sale anytime someone chooses a design you made.

More information, including file specs and templates is available here: http://www.paymyaddress.com/contribute-designs.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 10:38:57 PM

Adding bitcoin adress containing magstripe to the card will be nice option.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 11:07:55 PM

To what end?  Who would use it?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 12:02:34 AM

Any person/shop who had a stripe reader (hooked to a pc?) could use it to read the same value as the QR code. Of course, that would require substantially wide use of these cards and to be done properly it would need some standard implementation of checksum/coding on the stripe too.

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 12:07:01 AM

An option to upload a custom design is now available.  During the check out process you can upload a JPEG, and then it gives you the option to place the QR code and plain text address on your image.

I will also be expanding the list of available pre-made designs by offering a 20% rev share for anyone with design talent who wants to participate.  You send me your design, I'll make it an available option, and you'll get 20% of each sale anytime someone chooses a design you made.

More information, including file specs and templates is available here: http://www.paymyaddress.com/contribute-designs.html
Awesome. I'm going to work on a design later today.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 12:11:26 AM

Any person/shop who had a stripe reader (hooked to a pc?) could use it to read the same value as the QR code. Of course, that would require substantially wide use of these cards and to be done properly it would need some standard implementation of checksum/coding on the stripe too.

Why would they use it?  The QR codes are to receive funds from someone else, not pay for them.  It's completely backwards of how a credit card currently works.  Who is going to add magstripe readers to their cell phone so that they can scan the vendor's card when the camera can scan a QR sticker affixed to the register at least as well?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 08:41:23 AM

make the card with a magnetic stripe, qr code, text and any other ways of displaying information.

BradZimdack (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 03:22:56 AM

make the card with a magnetic stripe, qr code, text and any other ways of displaying information.

It is possible to encode a magnetic stripe on cards like this, but as MoonShadow pointed out, the purpose of these cards is really the inverse of a credit card.  They could never be used to make a purchase in a store, but rather they're to receive funds from another individual -- such collecting a debt, receiving a gift from a friend, or any other time someone would otherwise be inclined to hand you some cash.

In fact, if Bitcoin ever replaces credit card as the standard way to pay for things, mag stripe readers might go the way of these:

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 04:46:23 AM

I will say this: magstripe gives the card a subconscious feel of being "active" in a way, even if it's not.

A magstripe could be put on the card simply by using magstripe cardstock without actually encoding anything.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 08:35:38 AM

Granted it's not likely to be very useful but I thought of one use for it.

Door prizes or similar. You visit an event and scan your card as you enter/register etc. Now they know who to send any prize to if they have a draw. There's probably other things like this that it could be handy for.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 12:23:27 PM

Granted it's not likely to be very useful but I thought of one use for it.

Door prizes or similar. You visit an event and scan your card as you enter/register etc. Now they know who to send any prize to if they have a draw. There's probably other things like this that it could be handy for.

the magstripe?

securo

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 01:27:21 PM

Making cool qr-codes is easy. The system has a good margin for error. google 'hack qr codes'
Some ideas;
http://www.joelbuckland.com/2010/10/30-interesting-ways-qr-codes-are-being-used/

My tipping jar; 197hyQxciZ9r7qj5CBsMvtNpqsRyM5NxuC
Quanta

October 10, 2011, 01:13:42 AM

Heya,

Nice idea and great design. Just a quick question :

Can you underline the readable part of a vanity address? Perhaps you've already answered this in an earlier post.

For instance, either 1ThisDude or 1(blahblah)ThisDude(blahblah)

Thanks in advance for answering.
BradZimdack (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 04:45:19 PM

Can you underline the readable part of a vanity address?

This could be done by uploading a custom design that already includes the text of your address.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:45:02 PM

Just wanted to say that this is now 20% more awesome than it already was!

p.s. For those making custom templates and trying to match screen colors with printed ones whip up a search for 'screen to printed medium color matching', 'Color Matching Module', and 'ICC Profile'. If you have or can acquire the ICC for your printer, BradZimdack that would be friggin killer for anyone that is particular about their colors. Sadly, I am not presently familiar with what is out there but the engineering firm I worked for over 15 years ago had software and hardware that did just that. So, one would imagine this still exists and is proably a LOT cheaper than the options we used.

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
RSantana

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

CoinedBits.com

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2011, 04:04:02 AM

For all of your who are uploading your own design, I'd love to see them posted here in the forum.

Check out the first physical bitcoin at http://CoinedBits.com
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 09:08:13 PM

these are cool  Wink

hi
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 07:09:47 PM

It would be nice if you could upload custom QR codes like ones made on http://www.qrhacker.com/

BradZimdack (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 07:57:38 PM

It would be nice if you could upload custom QR codes like ones made on http://www.qrhacker.com/

You sort of can.  With the custom design option, you can upload anything you want.  You can either use an automatically generated generic QR code, or just upload a design that already includes a styled one.
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 08:06:37 PM

What's on the back side of the cards? White? I'll be buying one soon, but I'm just curious.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀