Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:55:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you currently have money in Mt Gox?
Yes - 76 (33.3%)
No - 152 (66.7%)
Total Voters: 228

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: (Poll) Do you have money in Mt Gox?  (Read 2899 times)
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:25:49 PM

Is it possible for bitcoin at gox to go to $0?

This sucks for those with funds at gox!  Sad

no, because one penny would be able to buy infinity at 0.0000000.

Be humble!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:29:25 PM

Last time I checked, there were a slew of exchanges that have already shut down and outright stole bitcoins that have better reputation than you guys give gox.

The fact that well over half the users of Gox polled say they can't get money out is only one point but it's much more then enough:

http://www.coindesk.com/mt-gox-users-awaiting-funds-survey-reveals/

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
evolve (OP)

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:34:37 PM

You don't. No one can really say what's going on at Gox besides karpeles and his cronies.  The market is losing faith in Gox, and the lack of arbitrage opportunities only exacerbates the spread between Gox and other exchanges.
DanielVG

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:37:38 PM

NO.
I've used every exchange available for my area except MTGox.
I have an account though, but luckily never used it.
evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:00:47 PM

No. There is no proof that Gox is selling BTC it doesn't have, yet.  People assume that they are insolvent, but as I said before, only karpeles and his cronies know for sure.

The truth is no one knows, but the market is acting on pure assumption at this point due to a lack of communication from Gox.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:03:47 PM

If gox sold BTC they didn't have, to keep the price down when they couldn't pay USD,

they can easily buy back even more BTC than they sold now that the price has tanked since they can't pay BTC.

If Mark and his cronies want to, and haven't acted ENTIRELY irrational, there is no reason to believe that they can't pay back BTC, since this process can repeat as long as need be. The only conceivable end will come AFTER gox opens withdraws, if everybody (wisely) leaves the exchange and nobody comes back.

knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:12:27 PM

I have 6-7 dollars because I was testing

Qt Bitcoin Trader
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcointrader/

and some some analysis from
TSSB
http://www.tssbsoftware.com/

but to be very honest it was 2-3 months ago... and since then I did not have connected to gox ...

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:12:59 PM

I have 0.06 BTC left over.

Hoofy

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:28:13 PM

Hi all. Been Lurking a while but just signed up for first post. Kiss

If you had money in GOX, surely you'd buy cheap coins? This whole things a gamble right? It's just a further gamble whether GOX springs back or takes the lot. There probably wont be another chance to buy coins this cheap.

Personally I would rather have nothing in GOX but I had a couple of hundred GBP in so have bought some cheap coin. Whether I will see those coins again is anyones guess, But I'm not going to just watch these cheap coins selling.

In for a penny.....
boomertoo

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:35:59 PM

They turned me down  at GOX for my id being to low quality, thankfully.
I will stick with purchases  coinbase and trade occasionally  at localbitcoin then store my savings in a wallet at blockchain cant complain so far.
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:42:22 PM

Hi all. Been Lurking a while but just signed up for first post. Kiss

If you had money in GOX, surely you'd buy cheap coins? This whole things a gamble right? It's just a further gamble whether GOX springs back or takes the lot. There probably wont be another chance to buy coins this cheap.

Personally I would rather have nothing in GOX but I had a couple of hundred GBP in so have bought some cheap coin. Whether I will see those coins again is anyones guess, But I'm not going to just watch these cheap coins selling.

In for a penny.....

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:51:00 PM

No. There is no proof that Gox is selling BTC it doesn't have, yet.  People assume that they are insolvent, but as I said before, only karpeles and his cronies know for sure.

The truth is no one knows, but the market is acting on pure assumption at this point due to a lack of communication from Gox.

What does gox achieve by not allowing withdrawals?

Conspiracy to drive down the price?

Although, Karpeles looks like a complete moron, so my bet is, he has lost the money, screwed everyone over and is now destroying gox.

Because they haven't fixed the transaction duplication problem.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:34:23 PM

Although, Karpeles looks like a complete moron, so my bet is, he has lost the money, screwed everyone over and is now destroying gox.

If there is indeed such a problem. I don't believe they could be so incompetent as to have a known piece of the code shut them down for so long with no word on when things will be back in working order. It's a scam at this point.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:22:59 PM

Just bought 0.2 Bitcoin for $57 on Gox!  Cheesy

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 01:50:37 AM

"No" for me.
evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:06:18 AM

No. There is no proof that Gox is selling BTC it doesn't have, yet.  People assume that they are insolvent, but as I said before, only karpeles and his cronies know for sure.

If there is indeed such a problem. I don't believe they could be so incompetent as to have a known piece of the code shut them down for so long with no word on when things will be back in working order. It's a scam at this point.

I think they are definitely that incompetent.  Gox always handles things in the most stupid way imaginable.  

That said, whether they can survive this or not is uncertain; then again it was uncertain they'd survive the hack and trade rollback back in 2011. 
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:09:51 AM

You don't. No one can really say what's going on at Gox besides karpeles and his cronies.  The market is losing faith in Gox, and the lack of arbitrage opportunities only exacerbates the spread between Gox and other exchanges.

True we all can't say 100% we know what is going on at GOX, but we can use all of the tell-tale signs to deduce what is very likely going on over there.

Any person/business when accused of being insolvent and is not insolvent would be screaming out to the media and community they are solvent and then provide PROOF they are solvent. (which can be easily managed if they aren't insolvent).

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:14:00 AM

Trick question. There is no such thing as 'money in MT Gox'. Only IOUs.
mvdheuvel1983

Activity: 1008
Merit: 368

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:14:34 AM

I have about 50 cents there, maybe in the near future I can buy a whole bitcoin with it on gox  Cheesy
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:14:53 AM

If there is indeed such a problem.

Considering bitstamp temporarily halted withdrawals for the very same reason, Im not sure why you would doubt that.

Where I sit, there are roughly two possibilities; One, Gox is saying the truth, are dealing with a technical problem that is confirmed to exist and once they fixed it, BTC withdrawals will resume and anyone who sold their coins for less than 50% of market price is going to feel silly, especially after you realized you converted your bitcoins into gox dollars that are infinitely harder to actually withdraw.

Two; somehow Gox, a company that by my guestimate reeks in between 500 and 1000 BTC in trading fees per day, and has been doing so for more than 4 years, became insolvent. Problem is that I really cant imagine how. EVen if some hacker exploited the malleability bug to empty Gox' hot wallet, that wallet would not have contained more than a tiny fraction of the bitcoins (or corresponding dollars)  Gox has accumulated over the years. Do the math; ~0.5% trading fees, x2 for each side of the trade. Even on a black day as today, that is 1% of 60000 BTC or 600 BTC in fees. x365 = ~220000 BTC per year.

BUt lets assume those windfall profits have been paid out as dividends to shareholders and Gox keeps next to nothing in reserve, and due to some hack, they are now insolvent. What is more likely, that its shareholders will let it go bust, or that they will inject the needed cash/coins  to keep their 200K BTC per year cash cow in business?

As for it being a scam; I will not vouch for Karpeles, but even if he is stupid, evil and untrustworthy it makes no sense to scam when you can legally make this kind of money, especially not when you are already in crosshairs of just about every major financial regulator in the world.  It does not compute.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: