Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:42:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoin will never reach $100,000 or even anything high ever again  (Read 5448 times)
badboyrazor (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:01:37 PM

I am a former supporter of bitcoin but I hate to say that bitcoin will not reach mind boggling prices. There is one important reason for this:

HACKING

1. As the price goes up, BitCoin will be more lucrative to hack. This fear of losing funds will keep the price down. And even the most secure of exchanges have been hacked like CoinBase!!! That’s right. Don’t believe me? Do an internet search on coinbase hacked.

2. All exchanges are easily hacked and not secure enough. This is another contributing factor that will hold the price of BitCoin down. We’ve seen wallets get emptied for an entire exchange. But its not just that, even individual accounts have been hacked if they could not hack the entire exchange.

3. BitCoin’s convenience is its weakness. Bitcoins are available in electronic space or Cold storage. So its much more susceptible to have the coins getting stolen. With a bank, its much more difficult to do this. I can go to the bank and make a deposit and my account is credited for that deposit. If a hacker gets my user name and password, and tries to transfer those funds, I can catch it and deny the transfer. Everything can be traced. With Bitcoin no one is even willing to prosecute hackers that steal coins. And how often does a hacker gain control of your bank account as opposed to a bitcoin exchange account? How often does a hacker empty the funds from a bank account compared to a bitcoin account? Also here in the USA, funds are FDIC insured for up to $250,000.

Also consider computer crashes and losing the paper that had all your coins on it.

4. Lets just pretend that BTC does reach 100,000. Given all the risks of how easy it is to lose your coins, why would someone pay that price? Why not hold a stock that is worth 100,000 dollars? That is much more secure than a bitcoin.

I learned all this the hardway when my cryptsy.com account was hacked. I only lost 3.11 BitCoins which was basically all my profit plus 800 dollars net loss. Its not a lot but enough for me to say I am going to stay away. None of these exchanges are secure enough like a banking website. I will move my coins away from coinbase into cold storage and hold until the price gets pumped up enough for me to sell off and break even.

BitCoin was  a promising concept but until you see your wallet get emptied, you see all the flaws. BitCoin didn’t ruin itself, the hackers did.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:03:11 PM

I don't Bitcoin will ever reach that amount that would be insane but sure as time goes on Bitcoin is only going to become more secure and more security proffesionals will be involved in Bitcoin.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:03:27 PM

How is this any different from "hacking" that goes on with every other financial system?

For example, the 40 million dollar credit card heist last month from Target and Neiman Marcus.

Or the other 9 billion hacks that have gone on, unannounced because they aren't "Bitcoin"?

Someone hacked into my store and stole credit card numbers 6 months ago.   You didn't see that all over the news.  Because I'm not Bitcoin.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
badboyrazor (OP)

Activity: 47

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:08:09 PM

How is this any different from "hacking" that goes on with every other financial system?

For example, the 40 million dollar credit card heist last month from Target and Neiman Marcus.

Or the other 9 billion hacks that have gone on, unannounced because they aren't "Bitcoin"?

Someone hacked into my store and stole credit card numbers 6 months ago.   You didn't see that all over the news.  Because I'm not Bitcoin.

-B-

True, but with credit cards, you can discontinue them and get new ones issued and questionable charges can be refunded. BitCoin is a one way street.

Someone could transfer my bank funds to another bank but if I find out in a reasonable timely manner, I can report that to the bank and the bank would investigate IP addresses and the cops would be involved and it would be much more serious of a situation for the hacker.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:09:36 PM

Bitcoin cultist becomes fiat cultist. It is only natural when one's beliefs are based on a mere trend.

Bitcoin has been hacked, scammed, blah blah for a long time now, and it did not matter in the end. Of course it inhibits Bitcoin, but those are not insurmountable challenges.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:11:09 PM

Bitcoin will never reach $1 because of one reason: Hacking! Nobody will turn thousands of dollars into thousands of bitcoin because they can be stolen easily. You would have to be an idiot to even consider it.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Pentax

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:20:12 PM

These security issues will be addressed by the markets and exchanges that will be popping up in the wake of this Gox mess, as well as regulation that will inevitably come down the pipeline.

We know these new exchanges are coming, and funded by real money.

Amateur hour is coming to an end, and the price is falling as this shakes out and people are geeking hard.  Really, this was inevitable.  These guys were never prepare for this.  How could they have been?  The economics of 1-2 years ago do not allow for the raising of several million to set up a proper exchange, so they went with what they had.

Price will rise again as exactly these questions of security and liquidity of exchanges are put to rest as these more organized players come up to speed, some regulation comes into play and more people are comfortable trading these markets and start trading.  That happens this year or early next.

I am expecting the recovery in price over the next year or so as these larger, more organized and experienced players get their systems up and running and other factors drive growth in the BTC marketplace, although the next few months look like shit, price-wise, as it will take a change in fundamentals as indicated above to drive it back up substantially.

I don't think it hits 100,000 either, but back over 1,000 by year end is a better bet than 200 at that time, based on this expectation for game changing players getting involved, although this is, of course, just one guy's opinion.
DanielVG

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 07:32:27 PM

I'm pretty sure it will reach over 100,000 eventually.
I've lost more than you (+200 BTC over 2 years) but i'm not here to get rich.
It might be less in $/€ though...
I will always believe in bitcoins for political reasons.
Bitcoin gave me new hope after the fucked up bank crisis since 2008.
No matter how much i loose, for me it is more than money.

I am not going to argue with your motivation to step out but i think you're thinking too short-termed.
And as a fellow idiot who has lost coins i can tell it made me more aware and responsible of my digital footprint.
I admit i understand how and why i got scammed/hacked.
And thus i have become a more responsible person.
You are a responsible person if you make every mistake once, but only once.
So look into your own heart before you blame something else.
Maybe you can still close your losses on an optimistic note...
gambitx

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:05:00 PM

Bitcoin will never be $100,000?

Oh...no, no no no...help...plz.....

HELP!
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:10:47 PM

Bitcoin will never be $100,000?

Oh...no, no no no...help...plz.....

HELP!

TOP @ $99,999.99.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:14:15 PM

Bitcoin cultist becomes fiat cultist.

LOL. I can't even imagine how I would go about talking about the virtues of fiat currency.

"These smart fellows who sit on the board of the Federal Reserve control everything about it, isn't that wonderful?"

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
gambitx

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:16:02 PM

LOL. I can't even imagine how I would go about talking about the virtues of fiat currency.

"These smart fellows who sit on the board of the Federal Reserve control everything about it, isn't that wonderful?"

Lol?

Oh no, no no no no ha ha ha hel l l p p

HELP!
BidcoinBernd

Activity: 26

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:17:00 PM

I am a former supporter of bitcoin but I hate to say that bitcoin will not reach mind boggling prices. There is one important reason for this:

HACKING

1. As the price goes up, BitCoin will be more lucrative to hack. This fear of losing funds will keep the price down. And even the most secure of exchanges have been hacked like CoinBase!!! That’s right. Don’t believe me? Do an internet search on coinbase hacked.

2. All exchanges are easily hacked and not secure enough. This is another contributing factor that will hold the price of BitCoin down. We’ve seen wallets get emptied for an entire exchange. But its not just that, even individual accounts have been hacked if they could not hack the entire exchange.

3. BitCoin’s convenience is its weakness. Bitcoins are available in electronic space or Cold storage. So its much more susceptible to have the coins getting stolen. With a bank, its much more difficult to do this. I can go to the bank and make a deposit and my account is credited for that deposit. If a hacker gets my user name and password, and tries to transfer those funds, I can catch it and deny the transfer. Everything can be traced. With Bitcoin no one is even willing to prosecute hackers that steal coins. And how often does a hacker gain control of your bank account as opposed to a bitcoin exchange account? How often does a hacker empty the funds from a bank account compared to a bitcoin account? Also here in the USA, funds are FDIC insured for up to $250,000.

Also consider computer crashes and losing the paper that had all your coins on it.

4. Lets just pretend that BTC does reach 100,000. Given all the risks of how easy it is to lose your coins, why would someone pay that price? Why not hold a stock that is worth 100,000 dollars? That is much more secure than a bitcoin.

I learned all this the hardway when my cryptsy.com account was hacked. I only lost 3.11 BitCoins which was basically all my profit plus 800 dollars net loss. Its not a lot but enough for me to say I am going to stay away. None of these exchanges are secure enough like a banking website. I will move my coins away from coinbase into cold storage and hold until the price gets pumped up enough for me to sell off and break even.

BitCoin was  a promising concept but until you see your wallet get emptied, you see all the flaws. BitCoin didn’t ruin itself, the hackers did.

1. stop downloading malware infected stuff
2. how does it even have anything to do with how much one bitcoin is worth? you don't store 200 bitcoins at a third party site now and you won't store one whole bitcoin at a third party site if it reaches 100,000 usd...
gambitx

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:20:20 PM

Bitcoini Is malware?

HELP!
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:21:09 PM

Here, let me try, because fiat currency actually is wonderful when you think about it. It is remarkably stable over the short to mid term; you will always have a sense of knowing how much you can buy with a given amount of money. So, it is a fantastic unit of account. Fiat money can be completely anonymous if you want, and it is reasonably easy to store and secure. You can have it in many other forms as well, and some of them are even instant and offer you insurance and consumer protection. If you store your money in a bank, at least in the US and the eurozone it will be insured by the government! Plus, banks have a great degree of physical protection so you could even store cash with them in a safe deposit box. There are brands of fiat money like the US Dollar and the Euro that are traded worldwide and you can buy almost ANYTHING with them, at any time. Definitely the best medium of exchange on earth! You can convert them into stores of values if you don't want to spend anytime soon.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2014, 08:23:15 PM

Paypal could get hacked too, but nobody has been able to do that yet.  As BTC becomes more valuable, exchanges will put more $$$ down on security, making them harder and harder to hack.  The occasional one will still happen, but that's not exclusive to BTC, that's just people wanting money. 

stylin

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:28:56 PM

OP, I think "Bitcoin banks" will emerge in the future to handle this security-related aspect of Bitcoin. If you think about it, cash money is also very vulnerable to being stolen which is why most people put it in the bank in the first place. One of the services that a bank provides is security and there is always a need to secure money.

Honorcoin | 100% PoS | 2% Free Distribution
XHC: HEjJZdyJWBjaLH7w12k2nfqAKMEC9h2Lvt
checkers6676

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:44:08 PM

anyone who keeps more than 5% of their bitcoins sitting in an exchange rather than secured in their own possession deserves to lose them to exchange hackings.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:46:27 PM

"ever again"?

When did Bitcoin hit $100,000?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 09:47:10 PM

anyone who keeps more than 5% of their bitcoins sitting in an exchange rather than secured in their own possession deserves to lose them to exchange hackings.

Why is a percentage associated with a principal of losing something? Seems irrelevant to put a % on your concept here.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: