Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:40:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin7.com 'hacked'. Database and wallets 'stolen'  (Read 22822 times)
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2011, 11:48:45 PM

11. Moon base.

The most vital step in the plan!

I posted about some trouble I had with bitcoin7 a few weeks ago in this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44390.0. After that sham of a transaction I experienced with them, I wasn't surprised to learn about this today.

They said that they had some bank trouble, and could not locate my funds. A while after, the transaction I sent was returned to my bank account. I suspect their european bank account may have been frozen, and the payment bounced back.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
digimag

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 11:53:10 PM

I am shocked by the number of scams, by the lack of professionalism, and by the general bad vibe associated to Bitcoin.

The worse part is that everyone seems to be powerless, unable to deal with fraud on an international scale. Maybe victims should create a non profit-making organization defending bitcoin users' rights, or something like that.

17opQsbw8873x4PTwzvacEjNR2a59mSxoT
mjcmurfy

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 12:00:35 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2011, 12:13:14 AM by mjcmurfy

I am shocked by the number of scams, by the lack of professionalism, and by the general bad vibe associated to Bitcoin.

The worse part is that everyone seems to be powerless, unable to deal with fraud on an international scale. Maybe victims should create a non profit-making organization defending bitcoin users' rights, or something like that.

Or maybe people should just learn how to smell a scam, and stay well away. Due to the nature of the system, I think any organizations set up to protect "bitcoin user's rights" would be just as powerless as the rest of us to settle issues like this.

What shocks me isn't the number of scams (scams are ubiquitous, and not isolated to bitcoin) but rather, the total lack of due diligence being done on these businesses or individuals before sending them money! People seem so bloody eager to give bitcoin, hand over fist, to complete idiots! And I, to my shame, am guilty of this myself.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
FAtlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 12:01:44 AM

Drop in Bitcoin price today directly linked with the sale of stolen coins from the Bitcoin7 exchange.
mjcmurfy

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 12:18:20 AM

Drop in Bitcoin price today directly linked with the sale of stolen coins from the Bitcoin7 exchange.

I would use "stolen" with quotation marks. Anyone who has lost coins with this shambles of a company should cut their losses, and certainly shouldn't send those criminals photo identification. Unless you want it to get "stolen" also.

thechevalier

Activity: 40

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 12:29:51 AM

This stinks to high hell of a scam. They want me to upload a picture of my passport? HELL NO.

Not sure I even had any bitcoins there, but I can't see my balance... so who knows.
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 12:37:05 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2011, 12:49:57 AM by mizerydearia

Everyone is powerful.  Vote with your bitcoins.

There shall be better organization of information as to which bitcoin exchanges are reputable, reliable, trustworthy.

According to the information available at http://bitcoinmarkets.com/exchanges.php

The following exchanges are possibilities for similar scam/fraudulent opportunities and should be used with caution (or not at all):

aqoin
Bitchange
BTC-E
BTCex
Bitcoin2Cash
Bitcoin Central
BitMarket
BitStamp
Bitcoiny
Brasil Bitcoin Market
Global Bitcoin Exchange
IMCEX
Mercado Bitcoin
OtcExchange
OzBitcoin
Ruxum
The Rock Trading Company
Tradehill

Actually, it may be useful to establish a kind of standardization to better evaluate and rate which exchanges are reliable/reputable.  Those listed above have little to no contact information that is reliable or reputable enough.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 12:42:43 AM

Or maybe people should just learn how to smell a scam, and stay well away.

People should just learn that (as applicable to Information Security):

Risk = Threat * Vulnerability * Asset

-
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 12:53:44 AM

How to get rich off of Bitcoin in 4 easy steps:

1. Set up an exchange with timing that coincides with a large amount of distrust in your competition and desperation for alternatives. Name it something reminiscent of the hit 1970's British sci-fi show, Blake's 7 and the 1960 film, The Magnificent Seven.

2. Convince people of your legitimacy by pointing to other businesses you might run and/or by soliciting endorsements.

3. Set up a pyramid referral scheme and have people spam their referral codes all over.

4. "Apologize" for the referral spam and do some half-assed rectification, but only after this advertising for your exchange has thoroughly saturated the market.

5. Wait until your exchange wallets seem to have reached their maximum and then plateaued.

6. Have someone you know "hack" the website and steal the money. Politely sidestep the huge security issue of having all the money in wallets that are internet-accessible (Any exchange should only need like 10% of funds in a readily-available wallet).

7. Say, "Oh no we've been hacked. Welp, we're going out of business. We'll give you whatever money we have left, if we feel like it or are legally forced too somehow. Good luck with recovering your funds legally, suckers, as we're in Slovakia or some shit."

8. Move around the "stolen" BTC a bunch of times, then sell it on another exchange. Wait a minute, actually do that a few steps back, so you can exchange the BTC before your announcement lowers the exchange rate or other exchanges catch on and start looking for suspicious exchanges.

9. High fives all around. Hooker and blow. Pancakes and whipped cream. Ice cream fights. Getting serviced so often by high-price prostitutes that you actually say, for the first time in your life, the uncanny phrase, "Man, I'm really getting tired of all these blowjobs."

10. Buy a zeppelin, a top hat, a gold cane, a pocket watch, a monocle, and a rare, purebred yappy dog named "Captain Flufflebunny III". Travel the world. Use the words "orient," "dark continent," "savages," and "colonies" when speaking of your travels.

11. Moon base.

I lied about how many steps this would take. Lying is very advantageous in getting rich off of this scheme.

I am pretty sure you just plagiarized chapters 8-11 of my autobiography, "Bitcoin; how I rode the backs of poor nerds into space". It's coming out mid-november, just in time for the Christmas season...buy one for the wifey and four for the kids in case they wreck one or two. Prepay with btc only. 8-12 weeks for delivery.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 01:55:47 AM

According to the information available at http://bitcoinmarkets.com/exchanges.php

Just by the way, to whoever runs that site:

The emails shouldn't just be put in plain text out there, too easy for spambots to get them.
Perhaps some scrambling or javascript should be used to hide the adresses.

JonHind (OP)

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 02:16:56 AM

Also, have a look at the Bitcoin Monitor right now. http://www.bitcoinmonitor.com/

Some of those were mine. I offloaded a few thousand BTC's over the past couple of days in private trades, leaving me with just a few hundred bitcoins to store on my USB stick. I've lost much of my faith in BTC after recent events.

From the looks of it, a lot of BTC is moving tonight. Others abandoning ship maybe? Or maybe people laundering the money looted in recent 'hacks'?
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 02:44:11 AM

People seriously need to start making real buisnesses instead of fake scam exchanges all the time.

I am thinking some of this fake exchanges may be CIA/Govt job, maybe they finally decided Bitcoin is a threat and it needs to be destroyed (they openly admitted their involvement in BTC after all).

ParrotyBit

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:20:54 AM

People seriously need to start making real buisnesses instead of fake scam exchanges all the time.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these businesses start out as real, but end up turning fake when they realize there aren't any consequences to simply taking the money and running when things either slow down or go sour. Then after they've tasted the blood and tears, they come back for more.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:29:58 AM

The large number of namecoins moving was the bitparking pool closing down and paying out the remaining balances. The total amount moved is inflated due to the block chain explorers counting the 'change' address multiple times.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 10:16:09 AM

I am thinking some of this fake exchanges may be CIA/Govt job, maybe they finally decided Bitcoin is a threat and it needs to be destroyed (they openly admitted their involvement in BTC after all).

Elaborate please?

What do you mean ?

Obviously you are aware that CIA invited Gavin Andresen to a closed-doors conference ? Use google, read the forums.

digimag

Activity: 138

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 10:26:32 AM

Or maybe people should just learn how to smell a scam, and stay well away. Due to the nature of the system, I think any organizations set up to protect "bitcoin user's rights" would be just as powerless as the rest of us to settle issues like this.

What shocks me isn't the number of scams (scams are ubiquitous, and not isolated to bitcoin) but rather, the total lack of due diligence being done on these businesses or individuals before sending them money! People seem so bloody eager to give bitcoin, hand over fist, to complete idiots! And I, to my shame, am guilty of this myself.
Look, yes people should be more careful, and shouldn't be blindly doing whatever an e-mail says them to do.

But no one is immune to scams. Everybody can be trapped. It's not the victim's fault. We should rather blame scammers and take real measures against them. (well… probably victims should organize themselves and take those actions)

17opQsbw8873x4PTwzvacEjNR2a59mSxoT
cruikshank

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 11:31:34 AM

(they openly admitted their involvement in BTC after all).

Elaborate please?

What do you mean ?
Obviously you are aware that CIA invited Gavin Andresen to a closed-doors conference? read the forums.

I didn't read every last post, but didn't see Gavin say anything of the sort. Where is it mentioned that the CIA has been involved with BTC?

Unless Gavin being invited to give a presentation is suppose to equal CIA involvement, which wouldn't be the same thing.

1JvnFCbMXAyeooPggF9snLAeg3A2QVV8eh
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 03:43:26 PM

Also, have a look at the Bitcoin Monitor right now. http://www.bitcoinmonitor.com/

Some of those were mine. I offloaded a few thousand BTC's over the past couple of days in private trades, leaving me with just a few hundred bitcoins to store on my USB stick. I've lost much of my faith in BTC after recent events.

From the looks of it, a lot of BTC is moving tonight. Others abandoning ship maybe? Or maybe people laundering the money looted in recent 'hacks'?

Thanks for panicking and selling all these cheap coins. I think people who are getting out have made a serious mistake and I'm buying up all I can afford (which unfortunately isn't that much). But it's your money to lose. Smiley

As I've said repeatedly, Bitcoin's fundamentals remain unchanged, so panic selling is ill-advised.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
JonHind (OP)

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 05:34:25 PM

But it's your money to lose. Smiley
It was free money. I've made a very healthy profit from both mining and trading, and was lucky enough to buy and sell at the right times. I also sold my rigs without losing out when I stopped mining. The few thousand I sold this week was just the bulk of what I was saving for 6 months from now. It's a gamble. 6 months from now we'll know if you were right or if I was right.

I still have a few hundred BTC's though, so I'm not out of the game yet.
m3ta

Activity: 435

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 12:49:56 PM

And guess what, i was right. The same tactic saved me from all scams in EVE Online, while other people...well, the last big scam in EVE, some months ago, scammed over a trillion of billions of ISK. Funny thing: a lot of ppl were saying that it was a scam, but that didn't stop them from finding fools to scam.

Wasn't that much.
And you know that griefers like Tyrrax and others (all of GHSC for example) dedicate their "EVE-life" to scamming, and no one does anything, not even CCP, so...

Why the frell so many retards spell "ect" as an abbreviation of "Et Cetera"? "ETC", DAMMIT! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_cetera

Host:/# rm -rf /var/forum/trolls
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: