Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:49:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on NEM?  (Read 3061 times)
Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 05:52:08 PM

Utopianfuture got around 100BTC in funding coughed up by 3000 people who either believe in what he's trying to do or think that 5-50$ is a reasonable amount to bet on him producing something useful.

XCP's IPO set a standard in Balls since the developers completely rely on their own success to make some money. And required above average sized gonads for early investors.

MSC IPO set a standard in hype and anticipation with people paying thousands of BTC for a concept.

III (Protoshares/Bitshares) IPO is setting a standard in PR, trust and free market (and fairness) letting the market decide on their potential (whilst raking in millions worth of crowdfunding).

Ethereum IPO tried to set a standard in greed and corporatism.

NEM IPO is trying to set a standard in modesty and equal opportunity.

Hell, I convinced my neighbour to cough up 40 euros to be in. Had to talk him through setting up a BTCtalk account even, and promised him I'd pay him back his 40 if it were to go wrong.

My post in the NEM topic was my first post on bitcointalk.

In the long run, if Utopianfuture manages to live up to his dreams. I will have made money with a single forum post, and my neighbour will think this is the best 40 bucks he ever spent. In a sense, no IPO will ever be completely fair since there will always be a big reward to early adoption. But in this case, early adoption didn't cost anything (first 20 pages of posts received a stake for free) and thus was as entry friendly as it could get. You can only blame your own laziness for not having been part of that. (of course there were 674 NEM clones running around on the boards and this was the only one which managed to get serious but hey, this was the only one that was free) Later adoption cost but not much (max 50$) with the NEM people even offering payment with paypal (ergo, allowing your grandmother to participate).

NEM = fair

burp...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lexicon

Activity: 279
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:26:19 PM

The fundraising went well and UP has proven so far to be a good leader. The dev team seems to be very capable as well. This is more than most coins start with right there. I would be absolutely shocked if they don't produce a winner. It's possible I guess. The way I figured it was they are very good at what they do or very good con artists. If they were con artists they would be long gone as fundraising is over.

This leaves the only possible chance of them trying real hard and still falling on their face. It's possible because of their big goal of being the best. But they have many people actually watching what they are doing and no one is crying foul or scam. Yeah people with coding experience are making suggestions, but they seem to think they are on the right track. Personally I am completely delusional or these guys have a shot to be the best. I don't think I'm delusional either. They are giving it their all to really take things to the next level. They really want it, and they have over 1000 unique individuals behind them all the way.
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 06:32:11 PM

Any or all of those trying the same could succeed or simply be a step towards some else getting it right. Right now what is important is giving the devs the support and the opportunity they need, ensuring the community exists that each good idea gets a fair shot at reaching its potential.

Contrary to Mrrr above, I don't think it's a competition among those listed and we shouldn't be looking to put down any competition.
It's these against the norm of traditional offerings. There's room for all these and more to go large.

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
Mrrr

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:04:29 PM

Any or all of those trying the same could succeed or simply be a step towards some else getting it right. Right now what is important is giving the devs the support and the opportunity they need, ensuring the community exists that each good idea gets a fair shot at reaching its potential.

Contrary to Mrrr above, I don't think it's a competition among those listed and we shouldn't be looking to put down any competition.
It's these against the norm of traditional offerings. There's room for all these and more to go large.

Not saying its a competition, tried to offer a perspective,\

burp...
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:06:50 PM

What makes NEM different from the others besides the initial method of distribution?
Bob81

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:19:11 PM

What makes NEM different from the others besides the initial method of distribution?

Hey bitcoinrocks, try IPO-page: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=440185.0

Utopianfuture listed some highlights possible to NEM
TeseracT

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:43:24 PM

good technology + good leader + huge community + many features + improvements = NEM

ICONOMI - Fund Management Platform  ❘|❘ ICO ❘|❘ DISCUSSION
schnidl

Activity: 164

POS killed the POW-star

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:08:16 PM

Is it the next big thing?  It is an entirely new code base or is it a fork?

3k stakeholders makes a brainstorming and developing army. imo NEM has the potential to become very huge.
2Kool4Skewl

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 07:16:20 AM

good technology + good leader + huge community + many features + improvements = NEM
+1
+1
Agree

Good technology?  You mean Nxt technology, right?

Many features?  New improvements?  Ok, name them.  What are these amazing improvements?

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Dogmygod

Activity: 110

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:37:33 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 06:10:59 PM by Dogmygod

Just going of the stakeholder metrics, NEM should easily match or exceed NXT valuation of 60million. Giving each stake roughly $20K+ valuation.

I actually think it can double or triple NXT valuation  at *$40k-80k a stake. But these are just guesses..

One thing that is guaranteed, is if developer promises are met, It is going to be a very valuable coin. Its an interesting time for the crypto community.   Grin
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:24:26 PM

Is NEM basically Nxt except that all involved own the same amount?  That wouldn't be so bad.  But if that's not the case, can anyone describe the main point(s) of difference?
lexicon

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:36:52 PM

Is NEM basically Nxt except that all involved own the same amount?  That wouldn't be so bad.  But if that's not the case, can anyone describe the main point(s) of difference?

HERE YOU GO

NEW ECONOMY MOVEMENT

Financial Freedom - Decentralization - Egalitarian Crypto
Proof of Importance - Decentralized Exchange - Secure Messaging

NEM - development team

See the current core team in our development plan https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NhxTyi4Eo2D_1m1Ca8zvzQr0_RB0dgM2VuWXAIzcS-I/edit
Names are BTT accounts, please contact UtopianFuture or other individual team members if you have a question.

NEM front site: http://www.ournem.com/

NEM first development plan https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NhxTyi4Eo2D_1m1Ca8zvzQr0_RB0dgM2VuWXAIzcS-I/edit

NEM promotion board https://trello.com/b/GEWEPSZJ/nem-promotion ; Please contact UtopianFuture to join in.

Please see our development plan for the details of NEM's features. NEM's code bases will be re-written completely from the scratch. NEM plans to combine the best features of Bitcoin and NXT system plus its own innovations. Highlight innovations of NEMcoin decentralized network includes:

+ Unlike Bitcoin and other mining coins, all NEM would be distributed at the genesis block. NEM stakeholders are its own network nodes which verify the transactions and protect the network following a hybrid of Proof of Stake/ Proof of Importance forging mechanism. This type of distribution eliminates the need to have a mining industry which is an external force that imposes a huge cost to Bitcoin and other POW networks. The computational arm-race is avoided by using the hybrid of Proof of Stake/ Proof of Importance forging mechanism.

+ A novel method Proof of Importance forging that rewards the nodes that re most important to the network, not the nodes with the biggest number of NEM.

+ Support for colored coin implementation and the asset exchange is designed in the beginning with advanced features such as automatic settlement, assets listed with an expiration date. NEM focuses on the usability of the asset exchange to make them the premier platform for fundraising, asset listing, token issuing etc.

+ Secure messages for contract storage.

V1 blockchain plans to include all these above features, while more advanced features such as parallel blockchains, reputation system are in discussion and will be included in V2 blockchain in later dates.   

Initial NEM codes can be found here https://github.com/NxtEM/nem

NEM videos :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2cNKqH-4Wc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuNeM94ZOZM&feature=youtu.be

lexicon

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:44:58 PM

+1
+1
Agree

Good technology?  You mean Nxt technology, right?

Many features?  New improvements?  Ok, name them.  What are these amazing improvements?

You have already stated that you have read the development plan in other threads on this forum.

It is very transparent that you have your own agenda. You know the answers to these questions, as some of your actual questions in other threads have the answers in them as well.

So you seem to think that others won't notice this. You think if you keep asking these questions it will make it seem as if there are no answers, therefore promoting your agenda with this seethru spin you are trying to create.

However, most users see right thru you. You are really just making yourself look bad. But that's your choice i guess.

It's actually quite entertaining, but could mislead some, so in all this is bad for NEM, Nxt, and new users that don't know the difference.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:50:10 PM

HERE YOU GO

Is PoI the only thing that differentiates NEM from Nxt besides the method of initial distribution?  I could be wrong but I think Nxt has planned the other features mentioned above.
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:55:29 PM

HERE YOU GO

Is PoI the only thing that differentiates NEM from Nxt besides the method of initial distribution?  I could be wrong but I think Nxt has planned the other features mentioned above.

Did Myspace also plan to do everything Facebook does ?

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:48:38 PM

Quote from: bitcoinrocks

Quote from: utopianfuture

Hmmm.  Maybe you got that backwards?  Are you saying NEM only differentiates itself in the above-mentioned ways now but there may be other methods of differentiation in the future?
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 09:15:56 PM

Quote from: bitcoinrocks
Is PoI the only thing that differentiates NEM from Nxt besides the method of initial distribution?  I could be wrong but I think Nxt has planned the other features mentioned above.

Quote from: utopianfuture

Hmmm.  Maybe you got that backwards?  Are you saying NEM only differentiates itself in the above-mentioned ways now but there may be other methods of differentiation in the future?

I mean a plan may be very different from reality. There could be many colored coin/ asset exchange implementations and it is still to be seen what kind of implementation works best. NEM is different from NXT as much as NXT is different from Counter Party Protocol or Mastercoin and as much as Whatsapp is different from Viber or Facebook is different from Myspace.      

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
cryptonewbie

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:40:16 PM

The only people offering opinions are NXT holders, or people expecting a NEM distribution.  Most of the people commenting have a NEM banner in their signature lol.  Would like to read some impartial, unbiased feedback on NEM.

stylin

Activity: 62

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:38:14 PM

The only people offering opinions are NXT holders, or people expecting a NEM distribution.  Most of the people commenting have a NEM banner in their signature lol.  Would like to read some impartial, unbiased feedback on NEM.

Honestly? Just hold both lol. I believe both have potential. But NXT will always be hated on due to the story of its initial distribution, rationalize it however you want but people do get jealous of the 71 initial stakeholders. If NEM is the same as NXT except with a wider initial distribution, I feel that it has a good chance of succeeding over NXT... After all NXT only has several months' head start on infrastructure

But this is just my opinion, anything can happen

Honorcoin | 100% PoS | 2% Free Distribution
XHC: HEjJZdyJWBjaLH7w12k2nfqAKMEC9h2Lvt
Mrrr

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:53:52 PM

Honestly? Just hold both lol. I believe both have potential. But NXT will always be hated on due to the story of its initial distribution, rationalize it however you want but people do get jealous of the 71 initial stakeholders. If NEM is the same as NXT except with a wider initial distribution, I feel that it has a good chance of succeeding over NXT... After all NXT only has several months' head start on infrastructure

But this is just my opinion, anything can happen

Regarinf initial distribution: I can't look into Utopianfuture's head but I said "interested" on something half serious ( there was a NEM clone thing going on on the boards at that time). I think it was half serious for Utopianfuture also at that time, considering he did a 99% copy paste on the NEM ipo initially. Only after people started sending money one after another in a very fast pace this got a life of its own, I told friends of me to just trust me and drop a couple of tenners into something completely weird (some of those guys still don't know what a bitcoin is) Utopianfuture meanwhile, showed balls (dogestyle) and picked up on his initial half joke, making a herculanean effort. And here we are, 3000 strong.

burp...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: