Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:03:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there really no way to get your bitcoins out of mt.gox??  (Read 1510 times)
tiltamaze (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:46:55 AM

Sorry for being a noob but I'm confused.  I thought when you have an account on Mt. Gox they provide you with your public and private key?  If so, why do you need their permission to withdraw bitcoin.  Couldn't you just transfer it to you another bank or paper wallet?  If not can you still purchase stuff with it on sites that accept bitcoin like through bitpay?  Is there really no way to get the bitcoins out?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:49:32 AM

Sorry for being a noob but I'm confused.  I thought when you have an account on Mt. Gox they provide you with your public and private key?  If so, why do you need their permission to withdraw bitcoin.  Couldn't you just transfer it to you another bank or paper wallet?  If not can you still purchase stuff with it on sites that accept bitcoin like through bitpay?  Is there really no way to get the bitcoins out?

If you have an account on MtGox THEY have the private key, THEY have the Bitcoins.  You have an IOU for Bitcoin that currently they are not paying.  

This leads to a common saying "If you don't have the private key for "your" bitcoins, they you don't have any bitcoins."
tiltamaze (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:53:27 AM

Thank you!  Follow up question: Can I still buy things with my bitcoins on Mt. Gox? I.e. Can I set up a fake site using bitpay and buy something from myself in order to receive my coins?  Or is buying considered the same as withdrawing?  Thanks again!!
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:54:16 AM

At the moment on exchanges like MtGox or any others I have heard of, you do not have the private key to the bitcoins you store on there. They are not your bitcoins; the services just promise that they are and you have to trust them.

As MtGox has currently suspended BTC withdrawals, no, there is no publicly known way to get BTC out.

It is a common theory that MtGox are still making transfers out for themselves or their friends, but this is  just an unsubstantiated rumour.

You cannot spend BTC that is on MtGox (or any other exchange) in any way as you do not have access to the private key.

People have talked about P2P exchanges, decentralised exchanges, etc.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=172705.0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:56:33 AM

Thank you!  Follow up question: Can I still buy things with my bitcoins on Mt. Gox? I.e. Can I set up a fake site using bitpay and buy something from myself in order to receive my coins?  Or is buying considered the same as withdrawing?  Thanks again!!

No.  Spending is withdrawing.  The coins are under the complete and absolute control of MtGox.  They won't move from their wallet until they decide to allow it to happen.  That could be tomorrow, next month, or never.

wayneyoyo

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:18:15 AM

MTGOX really the bad history for bitcoiner , every time the price went down ( big % ) is all cause by them  Angry
BigV

Activity: 15

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:22:53 AM

What I don't understand is why people keep talking about the mtgox exchange rate for bitcoin being so low.  It's like saying the price for a McLaren P1 is $20 and the only place you can buy it is closed.  Defies logic.
CryptoPanda

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 08:28:55 AM

The only way to withdraw bitcoins from mtgox now is by using a gun. Not even that might get results actually.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:15:04 AM

The only way to withdraw bitcoins from mtgox now is by using a gun. Not even that might get results actually.

I read somewhere that in Japan even the mobsters are afraid of carrying guns.
achillez

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 11:10:42 AM

Yes, mtgox noted in history of bitcoin. We hope mtgox wallet will fix and the customers can get their coin.

If don't have private key, we don't have nothing, is't right?

*warning do not click link* - redirect, unclear if virus
evoked22

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 11:44:48 AM

Its a shame what they have gotten themselves into. More of a shame that they tried to blame ALL cryptocoins for their issues.

Respect -100  Sad

SnZN5o2ePUgtr9roQyavBC3r41vz7p63ne
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 01:41:09 PM

Is there really no way to get the bitcoins out?

You could fly all the way to Japan and confront Mark himself and ask for them back.

Seriously though, no there is currently no way to get them out. You'll just have to wait unfortunately.
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 01:48:09 PM

Currently there really is no way. When they open withdrawals, if you're greedy enough, you won't want to withdraw the coins because the Gox price will shoot up and prices on other exchanges will plummet.

There's always risk involved when sending money or valuable digital assets to shady companies overseas. Do your due diligence and deal with it.
eyebuyyourcoinz

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:06:51 PM

Yes, mtgox noted in (url removed) history of bitcoin[/url]. We hope mtgox wallet will fix and the customers can get their coin.

I scanned in sandbox with virustotal. result detection ratio: 0 / 53 but  didn't check with VM so can't conclude either, so someone else willing to assume risk would be better to analyze it
qh34rt

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:17:54 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2014, 04:30:59 AM by grue

Yes, mtgox noted in history of bitcoin. We hope mtgox wallet will fix and the customers can get their coin.

If you cannot open, hope this news help you bro..

http://www.coindesk.com/mt-gox-bitcoin-withdrawals-will-resume-soon/
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:08:10 PM

Do they still allow transfers of bitcoins to other users? You could find somebody who has a mtgox account, send them (X + fee) mtgox bitcoins and have them send you (X) real bitcoins.

How many bitcoins are you trying to move off MtGox, and how much are you willing to pay to get real bitcoins?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:07:57 PM

Do they still allow transfers of bitcoins to other users? You could find somebody who has a mtgox account, send them (X + fee) mtgox bitcoins and have them send you (X) real bitcoins.

How many bitcoins are you trying to move off MtGox, and how much are you willing to pay to get real bitcoins?

People were doing this, don't know what restrictions gox have put people on recently though.
invisiblefriend

Activity: 55

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 04:14:17 PM

BTC

sorry buy only incoming

no withdrawal of any btc or money HuhHuh

they just announced they r about to start -- n thats gr8 news regardless ---

many have funds with them -- - stay true keep them in bus

over wknd peeps with so much money were waiting to hear they r gone !

I used the money i had n scooped up lotsa 223$ coins n i feel good now Smiley

the btc u buy from them is really an IOU

WHEN THEY RELEASE U GET THE REAL DEAL INTO YOUR DIGITAL WALLET 

many lessons learned  Wink Wink Wink Wink

lets go btc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: