Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:09:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coins with Most Unique/Innovative Use Cases  (Read 94 times)
leetlezee (OP)

Activity: 232
Merit: 38

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 11:51:26 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2018, 02:59:24 PM by leetlezee

I'm curious about what altcoins have the most unique or innovative use cases. And I'm NOT looking for MN coins that are going to do a DEX, add governance, or POS coins that are going to be the next Visa, or PoW coins that are going to take over Bitcoin's spot as #1. And I'm not as concerned with the actual coin as the technology / use case behind it. For example, Bitcoin itself was not the wow-factor, it was the blockchain technology behind it.

So. What's going to make me say, "Wow!"?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 12:51:08 PM

Maybe IOTA with the internet of things? If you ask me though, bitcoin already took over. Bitcoin came first so It has the advantage now of a strong userbase. It's possible for BTC to add smart contracts, self governance like Tezos for example and pretty much anything because at the end of the day, It's just a code to change.
leetlezee (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 02:54:17 PM

Maybe IOTA with the internet of things? If you ask me though, bitcoin already took over. Bitcoin came first so It has the advantage now of a strong userbase. It's possible for BTC to add smart contracts, self governance like Tezos for example and pretty much anything because at the end of the day, It's just a code to change.

After looking into IOTA, obviously the technology there that's innovative and cool is using the Tangle method of consensus rather than a linear blockchain. I found a cool, working use-case here: https://cryptoslate.com/iota-demonstrates-real-world-use-case-with-smart-vehicle-charging-stations/

However, Bitcoin. When Bitcoin came out, it was the most innovative thing out there. Like the first smartphone. But we moved on from the first smartphone, thankfully. Check out this link for a cool history of the smartphone: https://thenextweb.com/mobile/2011/12/06/the-history-of-the-smartphone/

The reason Bitcoin still has market dominance is due to first-mover advantage, not because Bitcoin's underlying tech has more wow-power than more recent innovations.

But going back to my original post, I'm not as concerned with the coin as the actual tech. The coin IOTA may disappear, but the Tangle technology will probably keep developing and evolving.
justsimpleram

Activity: 462
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 03:03:55 PM

Currently I discovered many coins and for me they have unique each one of them. But this coin is one of the coin that I find very unique. This coin is Swachhcoin this all about blockchain-powered attempt at micromanaging wastes from households and industries and efficiently converting them into useful products. These products, at the end of the process, will be of higher economic value.
leetlezee (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 05:11:06 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2018, 03:10:33 PM by leetlezee

Currently I discovered many coins and for me they have unique each one of them. But this coin is one of the coin that I find very unique. This coin is Swachhcoin this all about blockchain-powered attempt at micromanaging wastes from households and industries and efficiently converting them into useful products. These products, at the end of the process, will be of higher economic value.

Swachhcoin website: https://swachhcoin.com/

I looked into Swachhcoin and read their whitepaper and they seem to be missing some very large and important pieces of the puzzle. I fail to see how their
vague "advanced" technologies implemented through an "Upgradation in waste processing plant" will transform a stream of incoming waste into "various outputs of high economic value" that can pay everyone involved (including the waste generators) for their part in the ecosystem.

It also depends on waste generators (aka you and me) to transport and sort all of our trash into centralized smart bins (dubbed SwBIN), for an undisclosed number of tokens that apparently depend on the value of the waste you generate? I'm sorry, but what value, really, does most of our trash really carry? And the final step of using nonrecyclables to make electricity is already in use, and while incinerating trash to generate electricity is possibly less wasteful than a landfill, to be profitable, it still requires a tipping fee from waste generators to recover costs. See following links for more info about generating electricity from trash:
https://e360.yale.edu/features/incineration_versus_recycling__in_europe_a_debate_over_trash
https://www.epa.gov/smm/energy-recovery-combustion-municipal-solid-waste-msw
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-burning-garbage-to-produce-energy-make-sense/
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/burning-trash-solution-our-garbage-woes-or-are-advocates-just-blowing-smoke-180959924/

It seems more like someone was trying to wave the "blockchain solves all problems" wand across the waste-management industry, while tossing in words like IoT, Big Data, and AI into sections where "blockchain" didn't seem like a magical enough word, and hope that the investors buy all the mumbo-jumbo.

While I do agree that the waste-management industry could probably be improved by implementing some of these technologies, at this point, Swachhcoin seems more like a dream for the future than an achievable product.
bttmember

Activity: 938
Merit: 13

AMEPAY

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 05:15:40 PM

Have a look at xyo network and their token xyo as a project,  it has a good and active team and are coming up with oracle based location services based on blockchain, i find this project with real use cases as it can track and provide with real locations and can replace the centralized gps and maps due to its efficiency, transparwncy and multiple business use cases.

DerTrey

Activity: 143
Merit: 19

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 05:19:14 PM

I'm curious about what altcoins have the most unique or innovative use cases. And I'm NOT looking for MN coins that are going to do a DEX, add governance, or POS coins that are going to be the next Visa, or PoW coins that are going to take over Bitcoin's spot as #1. And I'm not as concerned with the actual coin as the technology / use case behind it. For example, Bitcoin itself was not the wow-factor, it was the blockchain technology behind it.

So. What's going to make me say, "Wow!"?

It seems to me that Aion has a very interesting property; it’s blokchain will be able to unite the various blokchains among themselves. In the future, this may become necessary. Since it is already created quite a lot off them.

leetlezee (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 06:57:00 PM

Have a look at xyo network and their token xyo as a project,  it has a good and active team and are coming up with oracle based location services based on blockchain, i find this project with real use cases as it can track and provide with real locations and can replace the centralized gps and maps due to its efficiency, transparwncy and multiple business use cases.

XYO network has a great idea, however, one problem I see right off the bat is the interface between the blockchain and the physical items. For example, let's use their "Pay-On-Delivery" use case. If, along the delivery route, someone took the tracker out of your package containing an iPhone and put it in one containing a small brick, you're still going to get billed when your iPhone--I mean your brick--arrives, as the blockchain only sees that the physical tracker was delivered, and not the iPhone itself.

And while XYO somewhat indirectly mentions the issue as they bring up the trackers they've been selling as a "find my lost/stolen bike/keys/etc", they never directly address this issue in the WP, although ironically, in the WP they quote an Ethereum developer who brings it up:

“Proof of Location you can trust is honestly one of the most difficult things to implement. Even if you have many participants that can attest each other’s location, there’s no guarantee that they wouldn’t just go sybil at any point in the future, and since you’re always only relying on majority reporting it’s a huge weakness. If you could require some type of specialized hardware device that has anti-tamper tech such that the private key is destroyed when one attempts to open it or change the firmware on it then you could possibly have greater security, but at the same time, it’s not like it’s impossible to spoof GPS signals either. A proper implementation of this requires so much fallback and so many different
data sources to have any assurance of accuracy, it would have to be very well funded project.” - Matt Di Ferrante, Developer, Ethereum Foundation (https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/539o9c/proof of location/ , September 17, 2016)

So until the problem of having trackers that can't be physically removed from the items they are tracking without destroying the signal/alerting the system to a possible tampering is addressed in a practical way, I don't see the XYO network ever being used on a broad scale.
leetlezee (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 07:22:50 PM

It seems to me that Aion has a very interesting property; it’s blokchain will be able to unite the various blokchains among themselves. In the future, this may become necessary. Since it is already created quite a lot off them.

So in essence Aion is working on a universal standard for cross-blockchain compatibility. While AION is a great project, and ultimately I think very necessary in the crypto-world, Aion is not a project that offers a very unique or innovative use case.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: