Bitcoin Forum
January 20, 2019, 12:11:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.17.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding about Hash functions  (Read 69 times)
Insufficient

Activity: 204
Merit: 19

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 06:07:59 AM

Introduction
    Hash functions are the fundamental and vital part of the Blockchain . In summarize if you understand how the Hash functions work,  you'll understand too the Blockchain.

Hash Function What is it? Huh
  In the abstract, a Hash function is a mathematical process that takes input data of any size, performs an operation on it, and returns output data of a fixed size. In summarize , a hash function takes an input of any length and creates an output of fixed length.

Hash function have a three basic characteristics :
  • Secure - Non-reversible function
  • Fixed size - short or long data will produce fixed-size digest
  • Unique - two different data sets cannot produce the same digest

How this relate to the blockchain? Huh
   Blockchain use hash functions everywhere : i.e In Bitcoin private key ; every public key linked to a private key , private key can generate an essentially unlimited supply of public addresses but you can not reverse it to show the secret key behind it.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
r1s2g3

Activity: 420
Merit: 245

View Profile
July 21, 2018, 07:32:51 AM

How this relate to the blockchain? Huh
   Blockchain use hash functions everywhere : i.e In Bitcoin private key ; every public key linked to a private key , private key can generate an essentially unlimited supply of public addresses but you can not reverse it to show the secret key behind it.

I guess, this part is wrong, Private key is used to generate public key by  using elliptic curve multiplication. Bitcoin Address are generated by using Hash function on Public key.

source : https://github.com/bitcoinbook/bitcoinbook/blob/develop/ch04.asciidoc

Hash function have a three basic characteristics :
  • Unique - two different data sets cannot produce the same digest

I do not have source but I remember to read that it is very rare scenarios but it is possible that 2 different input can have same hash.
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1040

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
July 21, 2018, 09:46:48 AM
Merited by odolvlobo (1)

I do not have source but I remember to read that it is very rare scenarios but it is possible that 2 different input can have same hash.
You are indeed correct... this is known as a "collision". Refer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_(computer_science)

Basically, it depends on the size of the output space for your hash function. The larger the space, the smaller the chance of a collision.

For example, if you have a 2 bit hash function (as opposed to bitcoins 256 bit hash functions)... then the only possible outputs of your hash function are:

Given any two different inputs... there is a 1/4 chance that they'll both generate the same output. A 256 bit hash function on the other hand has 2256 possible outputs... the odds of finding a collision are so small it is generally regarded as zero.

vphasitha01

Activity: 196
Merit: 171

View Profile
July 21, 2018, 09:52:18 AM

When we compare to the SHA-2 series of hash functions(SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA 512) has strong collision resistance. so it is hard to find two inputs having the same hash. I think you're talking about MD5 hash function which is vulnerable for collision attacks and also a hacker can produce two colliding hashes in no time with higher CPU power, but not with the SHA-2 series.

With SHA-256 function, almost all the time we cannot get Hash(A)=Hash(B) if A≠B

<...snip...>

I have created a thread regarding Hash function which I believed helpful for you Smiley. This Hash calculator is a very good one for reference with different hash functions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bitcointalk.org is not available or authorized for sale. Do not believe any fake listings.
Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.