Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:12:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pledge for DOSBox donations (96 BTC sent)  (Read 5926 times)
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 07:40:45 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2011, 08:54:02 PM by Holy-Fire

Mahkul has recently expressed his desire to get DOSBox to accept bitcoin donations. I'd love that too, and I figure that if enough donations are pledged they will be happy to accept them.

So, I'm inviting people to join in with their pledges. I'll start by pledging 10 BTC.

As far as logistics goes, will it be acceptable if the pledges are collected in a mybitcoin account with password shared by Mahkul and me?

Update: Donations should now be sent to the address on the DOSBox crew page.
The pledges so far are:
20 BTC - Holy-Fire (received)
50 BTC - Mahkul (received)
1 BTC - cw
1 BTC - SunAvatar (received)
25 BTC - Gokhan (received)

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 07:49:16 PM

This belongs in Project Development section.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 07:57:46 PM

Sorry, I figured it would belong in the same place as this. Thanks for the correction.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 11:31:49 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I will pledge 10 BTC.
cw

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 09:58:29 AM

I'll pledge 1 BTC.
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2011, 12:09:45 PM

What the hell, I'll pledge 1 BTC. I don't really use DOSBox, but I do support the general idea of getting high-profile projects to accept Bitcoin.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 12:26:15 PM

What the hell, I'll pledge 1 BTC. I don't really use DOSBox, but I do support the general idea of getting high-profile projects to accept Bitcoin.
You should definitely have a look at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4667.0 then.
Ian Maxwell

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2011, 03:46:58 PM

You should have a look too---I've already posted there twice! In fact, that's how I found this thread... and I found out about that thread in a reply you made to another post of mine.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 07:08:35 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2011, 01:50:12 PM by Holy-Fire

I have created a MyBitcoin account to collect the pledges. Mahkul and I have access to it. Please send your pledges to address 12tBhckeLEuhg6BaJwEWQdt77bDFdpYZ1X, and let us know when you do.

If the attempt to convince DOSBox fails, we will return the money to those who wish so. Personally I will keep my pledge in until the next attempt.

Also, a few people have been generous enough to pledge a reward for those who get organizations to accept Bitcoin. Since this is a group effort and there is no one to collect the reward, I invite those people to add their pledges to this pool, which will increase the chances of success, even if they have no interest in DOSBox per se (which is, as I understand, what cw and SunAvatar did).

gohan

Activity: 52
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 12:14:47 PM

Please send your pledges to address 12tBhckeLEuhg6BaJwEWQdt77bDFdpYZ1X, and let us know when you do.

25 BTC sent. Good luck.

If the attempt to convince DOSBox fails, we will return the money to those who wish so. Personally I will keep my pledge in until the next attempt.

I hope you can convince them. If you can't, I'll forward the donation to the generic organization persuation pledge.  Cheesy
Mahkul

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 09:05:54 PM

Actually, I am going to pledge 40 BTC more; so 50 BTC from me in total.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 05:40:49 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2011, 09:07:30 AM by Holy-Fire

That's great! Can you also send it to the collecting account? I want to be able to promise DOSBox "you have X BTC waiting for you" and honor it as soon as they post an address, rather than having to wait until everyone checks back for updates.

Mahkul

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 12:34:31 PM

That's great! Can you also send it to the collecting account? I want to be able to promise DOSBox "you have X BTC waiting for you" and honor it as soon as they post an address, rather than having to wait until everyone checks back for updates.

Sent.
Mahkul

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 12:52:37 PM

How many BTC do you guys think we should collect before talking to DOSBox?
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 01:23:38 PM

I think we already have enough for a very good chance of convincing them. I plan to contact them on Saturday. Keep the pledges coming until then! Having a greater pledge might encourage them to post their address in a more prominent place. Every little bit helps. Of course, they will surely also appreciate donations they receive afterward.

In the mean time, I'll submit for review the phrasing I intend to use (to be sent to the email address in the crew page).

Dear DOSBox crew,

Thank you for creating DOSBox, a source of great joy to appreciators of classic PC games everywhere.

I would like to interest you in starting to accept bitcoin donations. Bitcoin is an Open Source decentralized digital currency. Among other things, it allows easy transfers of money with no transaction fees. You can read more about Bitcoin at http://www.bitcoin.org/ .

The Bitcoin community has pledged to express their gratitude to you by donating X BTC (equivalent to roughly $Y USD). The funds have already been collected in a dedicated holding account, and we will transfer them to you as soon as you post a receiving address on your site. This, of course, is in addition to any additional bitcoin donations you may receive in the future.

If you find no other use for bitcoins, you can always sell them for USD in one of the bitcoin exchanges.

Getting started with Bitcoin is extremely easy. I will be happy to offer instructions as well as answer any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Holy-Fire [where "Holy-Fire" will be replaced by my meatspace name]

Ian Maxwell

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 11:01:42 PM

Donation sent.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Mahkul

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 12:04:27 AM

I think we already have enough for a very good chance of convincing them. I plan to contact them on Saturday. Keep the pledges coming until then! Having a greater pledge might encourage them to post their address in a more prominent place. Every little bit helps. Of course, they will surely also appreciate donations they receive afterward.

In the mean time, I'll submit for review the phrasing I intend to use (to be sent to the email address in the crew page).

Dear DOSBox crew,

Thank you for creating DOSBox, a source of great joy to appreciators of classic PC games everywhere.

I would like to interest you in starting to accept bitcoin donations. Bitcoin is an Open Source decentralized digital currency. Among other things, it allows easy transfers of money with no transaction fees. You can read more about Bitcoin at http://www.bitcoin.org/ .

The Bitcoin community has pledged to express their gratitude to you by donating X BTC (equivalent to roughly $Y USD). The funds have already been collected in a dedicated holding account, and we will transfer them to you as soon as you post a receiving address on your site. This, of course, is in addition to any additional bitcoin donations you may receive in the future.

If you find no other use for bitcoins, you can always sell them for USD in one of the bitcoin exchanges.

Getting started with Bitcoin is extremely easy. I will be happy to offer instructions as well as answer any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Holy-Fire [where "Holy-Fire" will be replaced by my meatspace name]

Sounds very good to me. I would just change "sell them for USD" to "sell them for USD (or other currency)" or something along these lines. We shouldn't assume they are all Americans. Smiley
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2011, 04:33:41 AM

Sounds very good to me. I would just change "sell them for USD" to "sell them for USD (or other currency)" or something along these lines. We shouldn't assume they are all Americans. Smiley
We shouldn't assume, and it looks like Qbix might be dutch, but they currently solicit only USD donations. It's not guaranteed they can convert BTC directly to their local currency (I know I can't). They will probably be satisfied to know they can receive the more familiar USD. Also, should they ask, I'll recommend them to use CoinCard which only gives USD. Being able to convert directly to their required currency to save some exchange fees will be useful to them later on, but at this point it looks to me like unneeded clutter.

Mahkul

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 12:10:33 PM

We shouldn't assume, and it looks like Qbix might be dutch, but they currently solicit only USD donations. It's not guaranteed they can convert BTC directly to their local currency (I know I can't). They will probably be satisfied to know they can receive the more familiar USD. Also, should they ask, I'll recommend them to use CoinCard which only gives USD. Being able to convert directly to their required currency to save some exchange fees will be useful to them later on, but at this point it looks to me like unneeded clutter.

Yeah, I seems you have got the point there.

Btw, I think our next target could be http://www.scummvm.org/ Smiley
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2011, 02:03:15 PM

Btw, I think our next target could be http://www.scummvm.org/ Smiley
Good idea. Though I think I'll sit that one out, seeing as I only learnt about ScummVm and SCUMM yesterday after looking at the DOSBox news. This is despite the fact I have a special place in my heart for a few of what I now know to be SCUMM games, like Loom, MM2:DotT and Hero's Quest.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: