Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:32:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are stable coins?  (Read 18246 times)
dbijoy

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 03:24:40 PM

A “stable coin” is a cryptocurrency that is pegged to another stable asset, like gold or the U.S. dollar. It’s a currency that is global, but is not tied to a central bank and has low volatility. This allows for practical usage of using cryptocurrency like paying for things every single day.Coins like Bitcoin and Ethereum and highly volatile. On any given day, it is common to see an increase to 10-20% or even a decrease. That makes using most cryptocurrencies for daily transactions inconvenient. Imagine paying $5 for your flat white (my coffee of choice) today and finding out tomorrow that it should have been $4. Price changes like that are shocking for a consumer. The adoption of stable coins will be be a catalyst to the new decentralized internet becoming mainstream.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
annasadia

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 04:19:15 PM

Stable coins price fluctuation range is not too high and this coin prices are not manipulated by others and they are also acceptable and stable in the market.
112tigra112

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 08:20:02 PM

I did not checked in by myself but I was hearing from many of guys around here, that Litecoin is keeping relatively stable during all the corrections, so probably it is good to invest in it in term of long-hold.
9jaflick

Activity: 728
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 08:30:16 PM

If you find any crypto coin that it market is stable, know that the coin is not decentralized.
Cryptocurrency is all decentralisation, if you are think of having a stable coin,  then it means you are thinking out the box.

If Crypto currencies market is stable, there won't be need for traders, because you won't make any profit (money) for trading or holding any particular coin.
Ninellechka

Activity: 332
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 08:31:07 PM

Stability is not about crypto actually. Yes, the long term goal should be a stable solid price for crypto, but now it's impossible. All these stable coins with a fixed price like Tether, I guess, attract so much investors attention mainly for the one purpose - to sit out the market dip and to speculate.

Mero Currency, The First Low Burn-Rate Deflationary Token
rukawa101

Activity: 93

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 08:56:38 PM

I think there's no such coin that's stable in price the market in cryptocurrency is very volatile i don't think there will be a coin that's stable
Vova050898

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 09:35:35 PM

now there is such a market that there are practically no stable coins, all depends on the price of bitcoin and ETH, therefore, it is basically necessary to watch them)))
lazygin006

Activity: 91

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 09:49:18 PM

Until some serious regulations are applied to crypto currencies they will never be stable. The price can be hugely different from day to day, influenced by news and even rumours.
ratatat bangbang

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 09:58:51 PM

I think for now there is no stable coins for now because crypto currency is not totally accepted in different countries. But soon there is possibility that it will be happening.
ngalamunan

Activity: 332
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 10:29:13 PM

Until some serious regulations are applied to crypto currencies they will never be stable. The price can be hugely different from day to day, influenced by news and even rumours.

in fact it is true that the price will never be stable until whenever. because the current situation and the first is different, especially when this is also interested in growing and there are also who do not like the existence of coin. so it sometimes makes the coin price up and down.
JackdunR

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 11:18:16 PM

Currently there is no stable currency in the crypto market, they are always fluctuating in the supply and demand markets. So choosing a potential coin is essential for you.
maimainguyen05

Activity: 252
Merit: 105

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 11:24:35 PM

IMO, stable coins are the cryptos in which the exchange rate always holds at a specific value. As all the currencies in the world are converted to USD. And in the cryptocurrency market at the moment, USDT is a stable coin. The exchange rate is always stable at 1 USD = 1 USDT and is safe crypto to preserve capital when the market fluctuates in the exchange rate.

Maricel2017

Activity: 448
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 24, 2018, 12:29:26 AM

In terms of price there is no stable value of decentralized currency because their value is depending on the demand and supply, but i think to determine the stability of a coin is those coin are continuous moving forward with a good value which is we can used for long period of time or until in the future, of course bitcoin is the main coin which is very strong and stable, next for me is Ethereum and BCH these coin is can be used in the future like what bitcoin feature right now,

cryptocanley

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 24, 2018, 07:01:35 AM

If we want to see mass adoption of cryptos it is important for the market to become stable, but right now, that's only a possibility. In future cryptos price may become stable in governments intervene which will definitely attract all the investors and create a stable market and community.
goodluck0319

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:46:36 AM

a stable coin can also be on the blockchain, though its emission will be manual
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 01:56:38 PM

Because crypto market's development is unstable, how can we find a stable coin ?
I agree. The cryptocurrency market is never stable if the government does not control the price of the market. There are still so many whales in the world that are manipulating the price of the cryptocurrency market every day

i think you are right, but i also think that this is not a good thing if we want that people start to use btc as currency.
Yes if bitcoin used as currency it will be stable because there is no unstable currency. The stability of the currency is certain because currency is used to buy an item/pay a service if it’s not stable then it will be difficult to determine the price of goods/services offered.
ailyn30

Activity: 140

Anonymous warrior

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 01:59:39 PM

There are few stable coins right now, just like ARBITRAGING but for me as an investor and hunter. I can say that We cant say that a coins will remain stable coins.

I AM THE CRYPTO CURRENCY!
holtzmann

Activity: 179

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 10:24:09 AM

It is not something cryptocurrency will achieve soon. As long as crypto is seen as a way of earning - stability is hardly attainable.
cr197

Activity: 304
Merit: 109

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 02:37:37 PM
Merited by GiorgosK (3)

All these existing stablecoins are focusing on a hard pegged solution which provide very little incentive to provide any ROI if people hold their capital within them. They are mainly used for the sake to hedge their capital in and out of volatile cryptocurrencies.

It's obvious that if anything of them require collateral then they are centralized and higher risk to decentralized solutions.
There are less than a handful that claim they are decentralized, and at best they are more a pseudo-decentralized version. Collateral and 'reserves' are not much different from each other in the fact that they 'require' trust.

There is a new design in development that doesn't utilize any sort of collateral or reserve token. It's truly decentralized - no trust is needed.
The whitepaper was just released last week.
The protocol is much different from other non-collaterals like Basis, Fragments, Kowala, and Carbon.
It's a dynamic peg. Price can still fluctuate but volatility will be controlled by both the coin holders who can vote on price stability or by allowing for an algorithm to automate the process.

BitBay will be the first coin in the entire industry that will have solved crypto 1.0 and crypto 2.0
Crypto 1.0 being the ability to completely remove the middleman from transactions.
Crypto 2.0 being price stability so that the coin can be used as a currency.

Of all the other stablecoins., none of them have yet to solve crypto 1.0, which will most likely take them years to develop and test if they were to mimic BitBay's trustless marketplace.
Since BitBay's price is not hard pegged, the potential ROI for actually holding the coin is literally exponentially higher than other hard pegged currencies. This is especially the case for fiat backed stablecoins where governments continue to devalue their prices by printing more than they can back.

Imagine using a hard pegged currency like tether to hedge against bitcoin's price volatility. You can only make money by correctly guessing you hedge in and out of bitcoin's ups and downs. You most likely lose money in the transaction from the exchange spread. Although it would be a small amount it's still a loss and would increase depending on the amount of equity traded.

Now imagine a soft pegged currency like BitBay as a hedging tool.
For example, you think Bitcoin is going to drop in value over the next few days. So you sell your Bitcoin for BitBay. And then it turns out you are correct. Now the rest of the 'herd' is in fear of their equity and they too sell their Bitcoin for BitBay. Yet this higher demand from the 'herd' causes the price of BitBay to go up in value. Now you foresee that the Bitcoin correction is at it's bottom. So you sell your BitBay for Bitcoin. So now you've increased your ROI because you sold your higher bitcoin for a lower BitBay and then sold your higher BitBay for a lower bitcoin.
If you miss your window of opportunity to renter Bitcoin at a lower price, then you can stake the capital you hold in BitBay for a variable ROI that is currently averaging around 2.7% APR. No hard pegged currency is going to reward you that much. And you have the assurance knowing that if the price of BitBay tries to drop your capital will be protected by it's dynamic peg algo that stabilizes the supply and demand on the exchanges. If this causes some of your capital to freeze in the process of waiting, then your temporarily frozen coins can stake for an even higher variable APR.

Hard pegged coins can't even remotely begin to mimic this other than weakly through a spread that most likely works against you.

Now imagine you want to cash out some of your profits. You use BitBay's cash for coins smart contract (already built into the wallet), that mimics like a "trustless"  private localbitcoins.com transaction.
All these other stablecoins in existence can't compete against that. They are all dependent on a 3rd party service to allow for transacting with any level of pseudo-security.

Peg release is set for late Q3 to early Q4 2018

Whitepaper: http://bitbay.market/downloads/whitepapers/bitbay-dynamic-peg.pdf

"Dishonour is like a scar on a tree, which time, instead of effacing, only helps to enlarge."
HaroldConway

Activity: 185

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 02:53:11 PM

What are stable coins and why do we need them?
This is one topic that catch my attentions. I have this article about stable coins and they are attracting big league investors. Will quote some part of the article.
"stable coins are designed to keep their price fixed, making them immune to manipulation trading. It could be argued that price stability will help to bring about the mass adoption of cryptocurrencies, as they are seeming more reliable and, therefore, attractive to major financial players. The recent IBM deal — along with other investments mentioned in this article — partly confirm that assumption."

Three types of stable coins can be outlined, depending on the type of collateralization they entail.

1. Fiat-collateralized
2. Non-collateralized
3. Crypto-collateralized

To know more and read the detailed article. Pls chck this link.
https://cointelegraph.com/news/island-of-stability-stable-coins-keep-attracting-big-league-investors/amp

I think these coins are the most stable at right now:-

DEX
EOS
IOTA
WAVES

I think these coins are the future bright.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: