Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:11:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a feasible P2P bitcoin exchange. Unhindered by fiat or centralization.  (Read 975 times)
coastermonger (OP)

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:44:15 PM

A decentralized P2P exchange still feels like the holy grail of bitcoin tech.  This is an idea I don't often see talked about:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=470620.msg5194464#msg5194464

Bitrated user: Rees.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 05:51:01 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 10:50:55 PM by DeathAndTaxes

P2P exchanges have been talked about endlessly since Bitcoin started.   It is a difficult problem to solve and most high level abstractions look good until you get down to the nuts and bolts where they fall apart.

I promise to sell (or "lend" in linked thread) 1 BTC for $700.  Ok what prevents me from backing out when someone accepts that offer.   If my coin is locked up or escrowed what ensures I am not defrauded, held hostage, or simply lose my BTC for participating.

Someone purchases my Bitcoin for $700.  How do they handle payment?  What forces them to pay?  What happens if they don't pay?

Speaking at a high level allows one to abstract away a lot of the technical "show stopper" details.  The lack of P2P exchange isn't the product of not enough talking, it is the result of no viable solution (so far).
coastermonger (OP)

Activity: 367

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 07:39:27 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2014, 07:50:36 PM by coastermonger

P2P exchanges have been talked about endlessly since Bitcoin started.   It is a difficult problem to solve and most high level abstractions look good until you get down to the nuts and bolts where they fall apart.

I promise to sell (or "lend" in linked thread) 1 BTC for $700.  Ok what prevents me from backing out when someone accepts that offer.   If my coin is locked up or escrowed what ensures I am not defrauded, held hostage, or simply lose my BTC for participating.

Someone purchases my Bitcoin for $700.  Wow do they handle payment?  What forces them to pay?  What happens if they don't pay?

Speaking at a high level allows one to abstract away a lot of the technical "show stopper" details.  The lack of P2P exchange isn't the product of not enough talking, it is the product of no viable solution (so far), for what is a very complex problem.

Excellent questions!  Suppose you promise to sell 1 BTC for $700. If your order was accepted, you would temporarily have zero bitcoin in the system but would receive what can be thought of as $700 worth of credit. (Like bitcoin, this credit cannot be arbitrarily created).  The person who takes your bitcoin also takes on the obligation of having to sell back $700 worth of their bitcoin into the system, and then they can withdraw the rest.

Suppose at a later time, someone offers to sell 1.5 BTC for $600 each.  You would be able to take your $700 worth of credit and purchase 1.16666667 BTC total, withdrawing it as needed.  The seller would still have 0.33333333 BTC for sale at $600 each, and $700 worth of credit for themselves now.

A person who takes loaned bitcoin (the committer) can be said to possess it, but must sell some back a portion of their holdings to neutralize their anti-credit and close the order (allowing the bitcoin to be withdrawn).  The higher the price, the better for them.  The person who took your 1 BTC and promised to sell back $700 worth of bitcoin into the system is obligated to fulfill that.  Suppose at later time someone offers to buy 1 BTC at $1000 each.  The committer would sell 0.7 BTC for $700 total, giving the BTC to the buyer and keeping 1.3 total BTC for themselves.  

Obviously there are other considerations, such as the margin at which the committer can tolerate risk.  Since the committer taking the loan always has to use their own bitcoin to cover as collateral, they would be controlling how much a loss they are willing to take.  

E.g. I take a loan of 1 BTC at $700 each and use 1 BTC of my own as collateral.  I have 2 BTC total now, and I'm obligated to spend at least $700 worth of BTC back into the system before anything can be withdrawn.  I want to sell my bitcoin for a higher price, but if not it would be impossible for me to place an ask order or fulfill any bids below $350. Doing so would result in the buyer receiving more than 2 BTC total.  In reality, I would set a stop loss much higher than that so that I don't lose more BTC than I'm comfortable with.

Recap:
  • Sellers give away bitcoin to create credit for themselves.  In doing so, they hope the price will go lower so that their credit is worth more BTC than before. They are insulated from losses if the market goes down, but if it climbs upward their bitcoin will be worth less and less.
  • Buyers take bitcoin and create anti-credit for themselves.  They post collateral to ensure sellers that they can fulfill their obligation to repay.  In doing so, they hope the price will go higher so that their bitcoin is worth more than before (and the anti-credit is easier to repay back.  They take on risk if the market goes down, but gain profit if the market goes up.

Bitrated user: Rees.
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:41:49 PM

P2P exchanges have been talked about endlessly since Bitcoin started.   It is a difficult problem to solve and most high level abstractions look good until you get down to the nuts and bolts where they fall apart.

I promise to sell (or "lend" in linked thread) 1 BTC for $700.  Ok what prevents me from backing out when someone accepts that offer.   If my coin is locked up or escrowed what ensures I am not defrauded, held hostage, or simply lose my BTC for participating.

Someone purchases my Bitcoin for $700.  Wow do they handle payment?  What forces them to pay?  What happens if they don't pay?

Speaking at a high level allows one to abstract away a lot of the technical "show stopper" details.  The lack of P2P exchange isn't the product of not enough talking, it is the product of no viable solution (so far), for what is a very complex problem.

feel free to try and implement this on an altcoin, may i suggest dimecoin perhaps  Grin

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:23:17 AM

Someone purchases my Bitcoin for $700.  How do they handle payment?  What forces them to pay?  What happens if they don't pay?

Multisig and anonymous escrow agents build reputations:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=455141.msg5442231#msg5442231

With cpu-only mining, then you buy PCs with fiat to buy (by mining) coins, you buy more PCs with coin and sell the PCs to get fiat.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
acarterczyz

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:26:11 AM

Speaking at a high level allows one to abstract away a lot of the technical "show stopper" details.  The lack of P2P exchange isn't the product of not enough talking, it is the result of no viable solution (so far).

A better way would be to use a gateway as an escrow. When two conditions are met (bitcoins received by gateway and altcoin received by gateway), the exchange trades hands. Security should be a big concern, not someone backing out.
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:39:42 AM

The main problem of p2p bitcoin exchange is how to get the fiat in.
But if we only trade Crypto currencies against each other it should not be any problem to create such exchange.
One way to get the fiat in is to accept centrally issued Fiat-backed crypto currencies as well in the p2p exchange.
acarterczyz

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:42:46 AM

The main problem of p2p bitcoin exchange is how to get the fiat in.
But if we only trade Crypto currencies against each other it should not be any problem to create such exchange.
One way to get the fiat in is to accept centrally issued Fiat-backed crypto currencies as well in the p2p exchange.

+1

Yes. This would be the major concern.
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:56:01 AM

You are right back to the same problem of centralized theft again.

People will always disfavor P2P exchange, because it is more inconvenient, the spread is higher, and it feels more unsafe (which is debatable).

That is why a cpu-only coin is so damn important. Most people will then enter by mining, and spending will be preferred over selling!

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:12:01 AM

People will always disfavor P2P exchange, because it is more inconvenient, the spread is higher, and it feels more unsafe (which is debatable).

That is why a cpu-only coin is so damn important. Most people will then enter by mining, and spending will be preferred over selling!

Nobody can ever force you to sell your bitcoins for Gollum_USD_IOU. But you should have the technical possibility to do so on the p2p exchange.
If we issue an IOU coin it would be a piece of code, just like bitcoin.
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:34:18 AM

Nobody can ever force you to sell your bitcoins for Gollum_USD_IOU. But you should have the technical possibility to do so on the p2p exchange.

We can't stop people from dangling centralized failure nodes in front of the naive users.

One thing we can do is make the altcoin very anonymous, thus any user going through these centralized vehicles is going to give up their anonymity via AML & KYC regulation of the centralized vendors.

For the moment users have no reason to care, because Bitcoin isn't anonymous any way.

If we issue an IOU coin it would be a piece of code, just like bitcoin.

What part of centralized failure modes is not clear?

You promise to pay fiat. Many people become dependent on your ability to do so. Govenment fines you, you can't meet obligations. Or you are corrupt/inept and issue more IOUs than you have resources to pay. Many centralized failure modes to get same result.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: