Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:34:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Bitcoin Pie - see the market cap for major crypto-currencies  (Read 2337 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2011, 04:26:53 PM

After I realized there isn't a convenient way to see the market cap of the alternative currencies, I went ahead and create ... Bitcoin Pie.

The code is available on Github, feature requests and patches are welcome (please submit directly on github).

The currencies I currently support are Bitcoin, Tenebrix, Namecoin and SolidCoin. If you know of functioning exchanges for other currencies, ping me and I'll add them.

Early results: Bitcoin is only 98.5% of the crypto-economy, Tenebrix takes almost a full percent, and Namecoin another 0.3%.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 04:29:07 PM

Holy robot balls, a whole percent ?

I wonder how lucrative the Tenebrix  poker room (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47168.0) shall be Wink

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2011, 04:32:59 PM

I wonder how lucrative the Tenebrix  poker room (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47168.0) shall be Wink

It appears so. You're the creator of Tenebrix, right?
I honestly don't understand why people find it so appealing. I've read the FAQ, and I don't agree that being CPU-friendly is an important quality in a mature crypto-currency. In The Future, assuming WhateverCoin is wide spread, there will be serious money to be made securing its network, and so most of the mining will be done by professionals anyway. What do I care if those professionals use CPUs, GPUs, ASYCs, or Quantum Computers?

3phase

Activity: 313
Merit: 251

Third score

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 04:33:18 PM

Well, more than 90% is your premined stash. Not that I have a problem with it.

That put the rest of us with TBX in the same league with SC Wink

Excellent idea OP, BTW.

Fiat no more.
Δoκιμάστε τo http://multibit.org - Bitcoin client τώρα και στα Eλληνικά
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2011, 04:38:38 PM

Excellent idea OP, BTW.

Thanks.

Right, I forgot to account for the pre-mined coins, my other objection to Tenebrix.
For Tenebrix to succeed those pre-mined coins have to be distributed/sold/offered as bounties ASAP.
The fact a single person holds 90% of the economy in his pocket is a serious fault.

I say - sell 90% of your pre-mined coins now, keep 5% for yourself, and offer the rest in bounties.

It will "crash" the Tenebrix economy, but hoarding such a huge stash will prevent it from kick-starting in the first place.

Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 04:40:34 PM

It appears so. You're the creator of Tenebrix, right?
I honestly don't understand why people find it so appealing. I've read the FAQ, and I don't agree that being CPU-friendly is an important quality in a mature crypto-currency. In The Future, assuming WhateverCoin is wide spread, there will be serious money to be made securing its network, and so most of the mining will be done by professionals anyway. What do I care if those professionals use CPUs, GPUs, ASYCs, or Quantum Computers?

CPUs are more widespread, so both Huge Business Clusters with dedicated conditioning and guards Smiley and "swarms" of "opportunistic joe sixpack computers" millions of units strong united by a pool will all have their (potential) place in this hypothetical setting, while dominance of a more special, less commonplace type of component ensures that only those with the components in question take a stab.

CPUs (I include stuff like Cells which, BTW, should be pretty decent at current TBX PoW, so if you have a PS3, hack away Smiley ) are perhaps the most common computer component manufactured, so economies of scale and width of their adoption are unlike any other component type.

But let us discuss this in the Main TBX thread, and not clutter up this marvelous thread and its pie

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 04:43:34 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2011, 05:02:08 PM by Lolcust

Excellent idea OP, BTW.

Thanks.

Right, I forgot to account for the pre-mined coins, my other objection to Tenebrix.
For Tenebrix to succeed those pre-mined coins have to be distributed/sold/offered as bounties ASAP.

They are being offered as bounty (I linked one in my response), and it seems that you have no love for the transaction mixer project, the latter, being, of course, a position I have to politely disagree with.

I believe that it is time for a cryptocurrency with even stronger ability to conceal its users while confusing and befuddling those who try to track them.

It will "crash" the Tenebrix economy, but hoarding such a huge stash will prevent it from kick-starting in the first place.

1)
Market-crashy stashes of BTC do not seem to cause any trouble, and in fact, neither do immense bullion hoards hurt gold.

2)
Speculators at btc-e seem not to agree with you, so the invisible hand has pretty much spoken (in its traditional buy/sell gestures), and it said "meh, whatever, let's trade this shiny crypto-not-really-money-but-kinda-like-that thing".

Feed the Lolcust!
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 07:49:03 PM

This makes me hungry. Please update exchange rates as TBX is at 0.01 now !
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2011, 09:02:25 PM

This makes me hungry. Please update exchange rates as TBX is at 0.01 now !

What do you mean "please update", the site is updated in real time ... you can click on the price to see the source.

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2011, 10:19:29 PM

Added GeistGeld, I missed that it was traded on btc-e.com

bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 10:24:55 PM

Added GeistGeld, I missed that it was traded on btc-e.com

Nice !
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 10:11:09 PM

Added LiteCoin.

sd

Activity: 730

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 11:24:03 PM

I'm disappointed. I read Bitcoin Pie and thought someone was selling pies for BitCoins.

CoinHunter

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 03:36:54 AM

Looks nice. How are you calculating SolidCoin's coin base though? We have over 1.6 million coins out there now so it's a little off. But I like it anyway. Smiley

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 03:49:22 AM

Looks nice. How are you calculating SolidCoin's coin base though? We have over 1.6 million coins out there now so it's a little off. But I like it anyway. Smiley
Indeed, OP forgot the 12M coins premine.
CoinHunter

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 04:16:43 AM

Except that 12M can't be spent, so it's not really worth counting it. Smiley

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 04:25:13 AM

So it still can't be spent when it's released by the trust block mining process into an account you control?
CoinHunter

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 04:31:09 AM

So it still can't be spent when it's released by the trust block mining process into an account you control?

It depends how you look at it. If you look at this here :-

http://blockexplorer.ahimoth.com/Home/BlockDetails?hash=00005b3dbf940ba9df42b2d86fd055706d0eac22cd3f39235b3f0e793bee61b8

Which is a trusted block, you'll see there is only two transactions. The first is a generate, it's value goes to the CPF. The second is a transaction from the trusted node, which effectively removes value from its own account. The trusted node itself never sends money directly to the CPF, instead, it losing value is a sign of "yes I have a million dollar account before and after this transaction which costs me money".

So trusted nodes create a generate which goes to the CPF, and they add their own special transaction which "seals" the block as trusted, trusted nodes don't directly fund the CPF.

So when I say those funds cannot be spent on the network it means a trusted node, if it hacked its own client and tried to actually send any money out, would get rejected by every other client, no other client would even propagate the transaction. Every client on the network looks for these addresses and will not allow them to be used outside of the very strict manner of "Sealing" blocks and losing money doing it.

I posted some more info on this over here :-
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1583/who-controls-solidcoins-special-millionaire-accounts/

Anyone calculating total coinage in SolidCoin should factor in CPF payments from the generates which is 5% per block. I haven't done total coinage calculations in a few days, but we should be around 1.6-1.8 million. I'm going to add a total coinage in the system information to http://solidcoin.info soon.

doobadoo

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 04:43:25 AM

What do I care if those professionals use CPUs, GPUs, ASYCs, or Quantum Computers?

Bitcoins are mined by GPUs, CPU Bitcoin mining is woefully uncompetitive.  The same GPU-on-steroids Bitcoin mining rig can run a CPU based mining program SIMULTANEOUSLY, without costing much if any loss of Bitcoin GPU-based hashes...

Get it now?  IF crypto-currencies are successful, there will be 2: a GPU intensive and a CPU intensive block.  The same professional big iron that secures Bitcoin, will secure "CPU-coin."   I happen to think that the incorporation of the best features of the alt. chains, along with the very egalitarian launch will make LTC the eventual CPU-intensive currency winner. 

I could be wrong, maybe all the alt chains die off and Bitcoin is the be-all, end all crypto-currency.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 05:24:36 AM

The definition of the word "Can't" either clearly illudes you or your lying.
If it's simply a flag, a flag is easy to change when the code isn't opensource where everyone can see it AS it changes ... rather than much later (or never)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: