Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:17:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper backup test not working.... [resolved]  (Read 2549 times)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 01:40:41 AM
Last edit: February 18, 2014, 01:56:05 AM by opentoe

I made a paper backup of my wallet and did the built in test and it kept failing. I must have typed out the root key letters a million times and it does not pass. It comes up with a completely different wallet. There really is only one way to type in all the letters. Just go across the page. In the first field type in the sets of letters, all nine of them and do the same into the second field. I've tried many times and it just keeps failing. Is this a known bug or something? I'm very glad I didn't dispose of any of my digital backups.

Also, is the Armory *.wallet file that Armory uses when running, is that encrypted at all itself? If not then anyone can just copy that file and import it, right? Is there a way to encrypt that file while Armory is running?

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 01:51:04 AM

Well this is why there's a test-backup feature.  We've never seen an example of it not working, it's usually a problem with the way it's typed in.  Have you selected the proper backup version?  Did you enter the SecurePrint code?  (does your backup have one?)

Unfortunately, without seeing the paper backup, there's only so much we can do to figure out what's wrong (I'm not encouraging you to send me the backup, btw, I just don't know how much I can do for you).

If you did not use SecurePrint, you can go to make a backup, and under the "More Backup Options" go to "Export Key Lists."  In this window it will display the non-SecurePrint paper backup root (and chaincode, but if your backup is 1.35c, you can ignore the chaincode if displayed).  This should match what you have on the sheet of paper -- but only if the backup does not user SecurePrint.  I don't know if there's any way to show the SecurePrint version.

Also, if an Armory wallet file is encrypted, it will only ever write the encrypted data to disk.  The decryption happens in RAM only and immediately zeroed out as soon as the data is no longer needed.  The only way to end up with unencrypted data on disk is if you explicitly remove the encryption through wallet properties.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 01:55:45 AM

Well this is why there's a test-backup feature.  We've never seen an example of it not working, it's usually a problem with the way it's typed in.  Have you selected the proper backup version?  Did you enter the SecurePrint code?  (does your backup have one?)

Unfortunately, without seeing the paper backup, there's only so much we can do to figure out what's wrong (I'm not encouraging you to send me the backup, btw, I just don't know how much I can do for you).

If you did not use SecurePrint, you can go to make a backup, and under the "More Backup Options" go to "Export Key Lists."  In this window it will display the non-SecurePrint paper backup root (and chaincode, but if your backup is 1.35c, you can ignore the chaincode if displayed).  This should match what you have on the sheet of paper -- but only if the backup does not user SecurePrint.  I don't know if there's any way to show the SecurePrint version.

Also, if an Armory wallet file is encrypted, it will only ever write the encrypted data to disk.  The decryption happens in RAM only and immediately zeroed out as soon as the data is no longer needed.  The only way to end up with unencrypted data on disk is if you explicitly remove the encryption through wallet properties.

I will mark this as resolved. The test paper backup defaulted on version 1.35C, and I had to manually select 1.35A. What does this mean? Is my wallet an older version or something? Does it need to be updated? I was under the impression that it defaulted to the correct version I was using. So paper test is %100.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2014, 02:03:13 AM

I will mark this as resolved. The test paper backup defaulted on version 1.35C, and I had to manually select 1.35A. What does this mean? Is my wallet an older version or something? Does it need to be updated? I was under the impression that it defaulted to the correct version I was using. So paper test is %100.

The wallet files are identical for all backup types -- it's the version of the backup not the wallet.  In version 0.90-beta, we were able to reduce backup size in half without breaking backwards compatibility (because the saved .wallet is indistinguishable).  Hence why they are all "1.35", just with another letter.  But we can't tell what version it is without seeing the wallet's private keys: hence why you have to select it yourself.  Absolutely nothing to be concerned about Smiley

The next version will use checkboxes instead of a dropdown box, which will make it more obvious that it may be required.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: