Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:09:02 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to update to 1.9.7 electrum but scared i'll lost my bitcoins  (Read 1721 times)
lilphilog (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 04:00:20 AM

(noob question) How do i properly update my electrum wallet to 1.9.7 and still have my btc ? I looked on the documentation but didnt find anything referring to this...Also Do i even need to update it or is it ok if i keep this older version ? Is it anything i need to backup just to be safe if i uninstall this to reinstall the updated version? This is what my password is for right, like if i lose my wallet or anything i can just restore it with my seed password right ?
dre_2ooo

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 04:03:23 AM

1. Send them to me for safe keeping.  
2. Upgrade
3. I'll send them back.  

Seriously though, I don't know.  I use Bitcoin-QT and upgraded once and everything was fine.  I imagine you'll be fine.
lilphilog (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 04:08:27 AM

LOL Nice one  Grin
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 04:09:35 AM

What happens if your smartphone/computer crashes and you can no longer start it. Can you restore your wallet?

If you are starting to panic a little, you might want to look into how backup using the seed function works. That way, if the update corrupts something, you can always restore your wallet.

https://electrum.org/seed.html
lilphilog (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 04:14:27 AM

thanks barak... edit - a matter of fact i did this the first time i downloaded electrum should i do it again, i wrote down the seed and password when i first did it.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 04:56:03 AM

I dont use electrum, but i am assuming you should easily be able to create a backup?
seafarer124

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 04:57:29 AM

As long as you have your seed you will not have a problem.

I use Electrum.

Your computer can crash or do whatever it wants, as long as you have the seed you are up and running again.

You can download the client on any computer anywhere and it will always be there.

if using multiple computers they will all synchronise.

I changed from BTC QT for the reasons above.

I still keep QT current, but do not use, just to help the network.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:11:22 AM

I use Electrum.

Your computer can crash or do whatever it wants, as long as you have the seed you are up and running again.

You can download the client on any computer anywhere and it will always be there.

Been looking for an additional spot to store some coins,  you just sold me on electrum Smiley
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 05:37:39 PM

I use Electrum.

Been looking for an additional spot to store some coins,  you just sold me on electrum Smiley

It's a great client. Learn how to make an offline wallet and watch-only counterpart on an online computer. Super safe!

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:18:29 AM

thanks barak... edit - a matter of fact i did this the first time i downloaded electrum should i do it again, i wrote down the seed and password when i first did it.

A seed backup is for life but I suggest backing up the wallet file too because it contains address labels that aren't represented by the seed.

Then go ahead and upgrade. Worst comes to worst you will have to restore from seed which is easily done.
seafarer124

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 04:42:50 AM

A seed backup is for life but I suggest backing up the wallet file too because it contains address labels that aren't represented by the seed.

Then go ahead and upgrade. Worst comes to worst you will have to restore from seed which is easily done.
I would not suggest importing addresses.

for the small fee always send coins to your wallet.

No need for a backup as all transactions will be covered by the seed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: