Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:25:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox Announces New Daily/Monthly Withdraw Policy! See Why  (Read 1993 times)
JessyMatt (OP)

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:29:38 AM

Mt. Gox announced today that they have implemented a new daily/monthly withdraw policy. Essentially, they are doing what banks are doing...telling people how much of their bitcoins/money they can take out daily/monthly. They claim they're doing this to protect against future threats.

I think Mt. Gox is worry more about people leaving and withdrawing their coins in masses crippling their exchange company!

What do you really think folks. Bitcoin is supposed to be free from those regulations/restrictions. What happened to opensource?

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:34:04 AM

The solution is: use a different exchange. It's the answer to every question regarding Mt Gox.

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:35:27 AM

What do you really think folks. Bitcoin is supposed to be free from those regulations/restrictions. What happened to opensource?

Que? MtGox is a single exchange, it is not bitcoin. Some other exchanges have withdraw limits for bitcoin, some don't. It's a free market brosky  Cool

And yes, they're likely (partially at least) doing this to save their asses, so people don't just withdraw all their shit at once and cripple the exchange.

Which just means they'll learn yet another hard, expensive lesson in how truly unforgiving free markets really are, in a few months when Gox fucks up again (because you know they will.)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:37:41 AM

Mt. Gox announced today that they have implemented a new daily/monthly withdraw policy. Essentially, they are doing what banks are doing...telling people how much of their bitcoins/money they can take out daily/monthly. They claim they're doing this to protect against future threats.

I think Mt. Gox is worry more about people leaving and withdrawing their coins in masses crippling their exchange company!

It doesn't sound like you have an account there. Although I am not an advocate of using mtgox, they have had daily/monthly limits for quite sometime. It looks like they will be trying to implement more "controlled" limits though.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:38:56 AM

Bitcoin is supposed to be free from those regulations/restrictions. What happened to opensource?[/b]

You aren't dealing with bitcoin at Gox, you are dealing with bitcoin IOUs. Those IOUs might be worthless if organization issuing them turns out to be less than trustworthy.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
JessyMatt (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:49:05 AM

Bitcoin is supposed to be free from those regulations/restrictions. What happened to opensource?[/b]

You aren't dealing with bitcoin at Gox, you are dealing with bitcoin IOUs. Those IOUs might be worthless if organization issuing them turns out to be less than trustworthy.

I stand corrected!

From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
JessyMatt (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:07:04 AM

It doesn't sound like you have an account there. Although I am not an advocate of using mtgox, they have had daily/monthly limits for quite sometime. It looks like they will be trying to implement more "controlled" limits though.

I do have account at Mt. Gox. Just have not used it much. I'm using coinbase. I'm a very active trader. I'm in for the long run.

mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 08:17:03 AM

No one knows what that withdrawal policy consists of, as it hasn't been published yet. If they only have technical problems, they could restrict the NUMBER of withdrawals but leave the actual limits to where they are now.

Yes, the BTC withdrawals were already limited (based on the account class).
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 08:21:17 AM

Just let Gox die already everyone.  It's caused what, 3 major crashes now? THe company is run by a bunch of dolts.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:51:21 AM

I'm using coinbase. I'm a very active trader. I'm in for the long run.

Funny Smiley You are an active trader on coinbase? Let me know how this works for you.

i am satoshi
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:55:23 AM

The solution is: use a different exchange. It's the answer to every question regarding Mt Gox.
+1
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:56:23 AM

+1
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4482

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:24:24 AM

+1
+1 Every time you use any exchange you're risking your coins.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 12:09:34 PM

+1
+1 Every time you use any exchange you're risking your coins.

I don't keep coins on exchange only dirty fiat.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:01:18 AM

I do have account at Mt. Gox. Just have not used it much. I'm using coinbase. I'm a very active trader. I'm in for the long run.

Dude, if you are trying to use Coinbase for frequent trading, be very careful.  A lot of transactions in and out of your bank account from Coinbase will definitely raise red flags at the bank.  Depending on the bank, you might get dropped.  Just sayin'.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:53:28 AM

You mean like a bank?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
g35fan

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:28:29 AM

I've read most of the press the last few weeks...but why is the current price still below $300 on Gox? The first few days with the panic I could get that but Gox has been better with communication lately and is telling people they can withdraw soon...if I had funds on there I'd be buying up some bitcoin at those prices that's for sure. 
creekbore

Activity: 210

Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:23:58 AM

I've read most of the press the last few weeks...but why is the current price still below $300 on Gox? The first few days with the panic I could get that but Gox has been better with communication lately and is telling people they can withdraw soon...if I had funds on there I'd be buying up some bitcoin at those prices that's for sure. 

Because people don't believe they actually have the coins..until withdrawals actually begin no-one will believe.

"Markets always move in the direction to hurt the most investors." AnonyMint
"Market depth is meaningless" AdamstgBit
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 253

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:27:10 AM

Sold BTC @ 550, brought @ 250.  Grin just hope I can get the goxcoin out some day  Roll Eyes

I only had 0.6 in there anyways. Time will tell if I wished I had more, or less.

One thing for sure, when withdraws are possible this horse is bolting. When will they open that gate ?

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████