Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:41:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does it make sense that I mined Tenebrix all night and got nothing?  (Read 2334 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 10:14:25 AM

4 CPUs, running at > 1.5 khashes/sec each.

I left the miner up all night, and I don't see any interesting balance in my TBC client. I am fully connected, at block 14,577.

[2011-10-08 12:11:24] thread 2: 7554 hashes, 1.54 khash/sec
[2011-10-08 12:11:27] thread 0: 7518 hashes, 1.53 khash/sec
[2011-10-08 12:11:28] thread 1: 7373 hashes, 1.51 khash/sec
[2011-10-08 12:11:28] thread 3: 7390 hashes, 1.51 khash/sec
[2011-10-08 12:11:29] thread 2: 7554 hashes, 1.48 khash/sec

Should have I found a block by now? At current hashrate, what is my expected time to find a block?

Also, another question on TBX - what is wrong with my calculation of the block numbers at Bitcoin Pie?
I got 8,134,124 coins from Sytes, divided by 25 and got 325,364 blocks. The block explorer says there are 14,563 blocks.

What am I missing?

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 10:37:51 AM

Are you solo ?

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 10:39:39 AM

Are you solo ?

Yeah.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 10:41:51 AM

Block zero/one has over 7million coins pre-generated.

Also, if you do get a block, the coins do not appear until they switch from immature to generate.

If you run the daemon command (no idea what you call the daemon, mine was 'tbd')
 tbd listtransactions "*"
it will show any immature blocks you have.
Of course with the current difficulty (0.19238 when I just checked on allchains) you will need to do on average 826,265,808 hashes to find a block
(i.e. if you luck is 0%)

Your total hash rate is a bit over 6khash/sec

So that would take on average (a bit over) 37.5 hours to find a block.

(Yeah I gave up on this chain a while ago)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 10:42:27 AM

Diff's tough.

People are throwing server-grade 8-cores on it, a lot.

You'd be better off pooling.

P.S.:
As you can see above, I don't even need a FAQ statement about premine (I do have it anyway, just in case) since market is very good at informing itself Cheesy

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 10:51:24 AM

Block zero/one has over 7million coins pre-generated.

Also, if you do get a block, the coins do not appear until they switch from immature to generate.

If you run the daemon command (no idea what you call the daemon, mine was 'tbd')
 tbd listtransactions "*"
it will show any immature blocks you have.
Of course with the current difficulty (0.19238 when I just checked on allchains) you will need to do on average 826,265,808 hashes to find a block
(i.e. if you luck is 0%)

Your total hash rate is a bit over 6khash/sec

So that would take on average (a bit over) 37.5 hours to find a block.

(Yeah I gave up on this chain a while ago)

Thanks for the info. I wonder why not just premine some blocks, but instead make a special block in the beginning. Makes my calculations more complex Smiley
No worries, just nitpick.

What do you mean "... until they switch from immature to generate" ?
If I mine a block now, how long does it take for them to appear in the UI? The next block, or more?

I think I'll keep running it for now, within a few days I should get a block.
I don't think pool mining is worth it for me. Since the mean time between blocks is relatively low (I consider 37.5 hours low), it should average itself quite nicely, and the extra bother of using a mining pool (user/pass, fees, whatnot) isn't worth it to me.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 10:57:41 AM

Diff's tough.

P.S.:
As you can see above, I don't even need a FAQ statement about premine (I do have it anyway, just in case) since market is very good at informing itself Cheesy
Well he asked a simple question and I gave the simple answer
(and his question was quite specific about coin counts - not sure why you didn't answer it)
He didn't know (and obviously trying the block count * block value doesn't work)
Easy to explain - not sure if you consider that an issue or not ... you shouldn't of course.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 10:59:46 AM

Diff's tough.

P.S.:
(and his question was quite specific about coin counts - not sure why you didn't answer it)
He didn't know (and obviously trying the block count * block value doesn't work)
Easy to explain - not sure if you consider that an issue or not ... you shouldn't of course.

Nah, I was just riffing on the fact that ripper234 is very, very very aware of the premine Smiley (He even started a thread 'bout it)

Feed the Lolcust!
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 11:06:35 AM

Nah, I was just riffing on the fact that ripper234 is very, very very aware of the premine Smiley (He even started a thread 'bout it)

As I said, I figured a better way to premine would be to ... you know, just mine alone with the minimum difficulty, instead of adjusting the entire blockchain math.

ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 11:16:07 AM

As I said, I figured a better way to premine would be to ... you know, just mine alone with the minimum difficulty, instead of adjusting the entire blockchain math.
Changing the blockchain math seems a lot more elegant than setting the genesis timestamp to 3 years ago and premining 300k blocks, requiring everyone to download and store 65MB of completely superfluous data.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 11:18:28 AM

Diff's tough.

P.S.:

Ah ok - I thought he didn't know ...

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 11:27:35 AM

Changing the blockchain math seems a lot more elegant than setting the genesis timestamp to 3 years ago and premining 300k blocks, requiring everyone to download and store 65MB of completely superfluous data.

touché

wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 02:01:41 PM

I ate all your blocks Smiley

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 02:10:10 PM

He simply made 7.7 million coins out of thin air. He did not even bother to premine them. They are preprinted already. Enjoy !
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 03:15:38 PM

What was the reason for the 7.7 million number? Did 7.8 seem like it would be too much? 7.6 not enough?

Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 03:22:34 PM

He did not even bother to premine them.  

Simply because that would have caused my fun-d to bloat the blockchain, and I decided that it would be mean of me to make other people download megabytes upon megabytes of my fun-d when I can fit it into one little block.

What was the reason for the 7.7 million number? Did 7.8 seem like it would be too much? 7.6 not enough?

Arbitrary number, since it appears quite apparent that there is no way to arrive at a "noncontroversial" number. To be frank, just used same number for GG and TBX.

Unless someone can propose a protocol for selecting a "good one", this number is as good as others

Feed the Lolcust!
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 03:56:34 PM

Arbitrary number, since it appears quite apparent that there is no way to arrive at a "noncontroversial" number. To be frank, just used same number for GG and TBX.

Unless someone can propose a protocol for selecting a "good one", this number is as good as others

I propose that right now, a single individual owning 10% of the current coins "for the benefit of future development, bounties and whatnot" would be far less suspicious than someone owning 90% of the coins for those purposes. Everyone should decide what's trust threshold is.

bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 03:58:09 PM

He did not even bother to premine them.  

Simply because that would have caused my fun-d to bloat the blockchain, and I decided that it would be mean of me to make other people download megabytes upon megabytes of my fun-d when I can fit it into one little block.

7.7 shows he is 7+7 = 14 yrs old !
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 04:00:23 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2011, 04:13:43 PM by Lolcust

7.7 shows he is 7+7 = 14 yrs old !

No, it's 7-7, meaning that I am a supernatural "undead" presence that never lived and affects world around by manipulating digital devices through spooky action at a distance.

I propose that right now, a single individual owning 10% of the current coins "for the benefit of future development, bounties and whatnot" would be far less suspicious than someone owning 90% of the coins for those purposes. Everyone should decide what's trust threshold is.

Current coins are a meaningless metric, especially when there is no upper limit on mining.

Also, as far as "everyone should decide" is concerned, you should realize both apparent intractability of having "everyone" have a say, and reconciling the opinions of "everyone" into some meaningful decision.

People mining and trading TBX right now apparently disagree with your assessment, and their subjective opinion has no reason to be considered inferior to your subjective opinion.

Feed the Lolcust!
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2011, 04:11:07 PM

People mining and trading TBX right now apparently disagree with your assessment, and their subjective opinion has no reason to be considered inferior to your subjective opinion.

Good luck to them and to you.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: