Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:53:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin prices falling!  (Read 6812 times)
NeonFlash (OP)

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 03:01:21 PM

It's gone below 4 USD today and it's gown down at a steady pace. Does anyone else feel something's wrong and at this pace, BTC will lose all it's value by maybe next year?

It's going to be really difficult to break even with your initial investment in mining (GPU + other hardware + electricity).
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 04:08:35 PM

While this IS true, so is the fact that you can BUY them cheaper than many can mine them!

gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
October 08, 2011, 06:31:04 PM

3-4$ is just fine to buy and hold them. remeber: there is a maximum of 21 million. what does that mean?! even if we just have 10 million users of BTC, that means there is on average only 2 BTCs, which means i am now (with my laughable 26BTC) 13x as rich as the future-average user.

--> worth WILL go up. as it did before.
the only risk that this will not happen is simply YOU ALL 'selffullfilling-prophency'-shortselling BTC to death.
So just don't panic.

Worldeconomy and traditional fiat-currencies have much bigger troubles now. i REALLY consider BTC a much secure (!!) investment than e.g. currencies like dollar or euro (they show a high volatiliy and inflation currently, but nobody ever thought of counting that into there bitcoin calculations?!)

example: $ is about 1/5 of the worth is was when george bush senior entered government! THINK of this! this is the normality! inflation hits you hard in $!!

.. my enthusiastic thoughts.

18459SEouNz2LuoZWLAKnrjKfBvNUcYjCu
Bitcraft

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 12:37:40 AM

While this IS true, so is the fact that you can BUY them cheaper than many can mine them!

^THIS. I'm gonna have to sell off my mining gear and start buying them at this price.
c0ffer

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

Gems:Crypto

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 02:20:13 AM

They're going back up now Smiley

>$4

CryptoCurrency for Gemstones ... Website | Main Thread  -  c0c0 Trading on YoBit
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 02:27:03 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2012, 06:58:15 PM by bulanula

3-4$ is just fine to buy and hold them. remeber: there is a maximum of 21 million. what does that mean?! even if we just have 10 million users of BTC, that means there is on average only 2 BTCs, which means i am now (with my laughable 26BTC) 13x as rich as the future-average user.

the only risk that this will not happen is simply YOU ALL 'selffullfilling-prophency'-shortselling BTC to death.
So just don't panic.

Worldeconomy and traditional fiat-currencies have much bigger troubles now. i REALLY consider BTC a much secure (!!) investment than e.g. currencies like dollar or euro (they show a high volatiliy and inflation currently, but nobody ever thought of counting that into there bitcoin calculations?!)

example: $ is about 1/5 of the worth is was when george bush senior entered government! THINK of this! this is the normality! inflation hits you hard in $!!

Keep drinking the Kool Aid my friend. Prices bound to go <$1
BitcoinMint.US

Activity: 284
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 04:27:16 AM

Spend 'em if you got 'em.
blue.mitzi

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 06:30:55 AM

drop short term, buyers will come. should sit at $5, but yes spend, spend, spend
Yeastmeister

Activity: 8

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 03:31:33 PM

I'm mining and holding at this point.  Don't need to cash out for any reason, so I just keep holding. 
gewure

[#][#][#]

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 07:51:46 PM

$-chart of the last days looks pretty as if there is strong resistance at 3.85, 3.95. and 4.10

BUY!

odysseus654

Activity: 44

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 01:42:10 AM

Just keep in mind that as a "currency" based on absolutely nothing (by design), the value of BitCoin is defined by how important it is for people to be holding coins.

I think the proposition of "money grows on trees" caused an explosion of popularity earlier this year and caused the perceived value to skyrocket.  But then the difficulty skyrocketed as well and suddenly the people that were creating a couple BTC each day found out they were getting absolutely nothing (and suddenly getting auto-banned for CPU-mining).

Something like this happened with SecondLife a couple years back I think, were people were suddenly talking about getting super-rich by playing a video game (also note that the SecondLife currency L$ ended up getting tied up in some pretty severe anti-money-laundering requirements and there is now only one valid major exchange).

Popularity has been dipping ( http://bitcoin.sipa.be/ ) and with it the price.  I'm guessing that once we separate out the people that want to be in BitCoin because of its properties from those that want to be in BitCoin to make free money we should settle down to a less-than-popular-but-stable description of what value it holds.
jackie

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 11:22:40 AM

I think they will go back in few more days. I hope so Smiley
MadHacker

Activity: 235

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 05:52:57 PM

i'm holding onto mine.
won't sell them till they are worth at least $100 each.
bitleaker

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 06:16:46 PM

I'm still mining on 3 rigs. The only reason why I am doing this is because the rigs are at work (with my company's permission - we have many systems running 24/7).

I personally think that BTC will drop to $2-$3 for a while before rising back up.
MadHacker

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 07:09:03 PM

agree that bitcoins will drop to 2-3$... right now its heating my house so the offset of cost of electricity isn't to bad...
but unless more E merchants start accepting bitcoins... it may just end up beeing a nitch currency that will without more use may fall away into the void
bitleaker

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 07:24:50 PM

but unless more E merchants start accepting bitcoins... it may just end up beeing a nitch currency that will without more use may fall away into the void

E merchants will only accept bitcoin en-masse once the currency becomes stable, and once there is a trusted and regulated exchange which can guarantee to transfer fiat funds without any problems.

There is not a trusted exchange yet. MtGox have many issues and are a law unto themselves. Tradehill is too new. Bitcoin7 has been hacked or it was a scam. Trade-BTC was found out to be run by teenagers.

I'm only 50% sure that BTC will eventually become a viable currency. It is a fun hobby in the meantime though Smiley
plogank

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 08:17:39 PM

Don't put more into Bitcoin than you can afford to loose.

Having said that, I don't think it makes any difference how far Bitcoins fall in the exchange rates.  In the long run, Bitcoins will become a viable currency and have much more value than they do now.

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.
tablekart

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 10:31:53 PM

why do you think so?

Dollar is better, gold is falling and BTC alike
BTC has no new impulses for  rising, everybody is mining and exch it out
not many things to buy better for BTC besides some illegal stuff

c0ffer

Gems:Crypto

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2011, 10:53:00 PM

not many things to buy better for BTC besides some illegal stuff

Not true.

There are several merchants (including myself) who offer products and services that are 100% legal for BitCoin.

New merchants are still arriving on the scene regularly and the technologies supporting BitCoin commerce are steadily moving forward.

CryptoCurrency for Gemstones ... Website | Main Thread  -  c0c0 Trading on YoBit
patrixiorey

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 12:36:20 AM

I can sell some inexpensives things that you only can buy on Argentine for someone that need something...

Warnig: we don't sell our beautifulls argentinian ladies Cheesy
gewure

[#][#][#]

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:11:48 AM

I can sell some inexpensives things that you only can buy on Argentine for someone that need something...

Warnig: we don't sell our beautifulls argentinian ladies Cheesy

and what could that be?!?

give some example, maybe you convince me and we make business Smiley
cruikshank

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 02:01:55 AM

It's gone below 4 USD today and it's gown down at a steady pace. Does anyone else feel something's wrong and at this pace, BTC will lose all it's value by maybe next year?

It's going to be really difficult to break even with your initial investment in mining (GPU + other hardware + electricity).

Seems to actually be stabilizing pretty well considering all the exchange frauds and the speculation bubble a couple of months back. The fact that it is above parity to USD is a good sign.

1JvnFCbMXAyeooPggF9snLAeg3A2QVV8eh
bitleaker

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 02:43:29 AM

I wouldn't call it stabilised yet. It still needs to drop to $2-$3 per BTC before things stabilise imho.
martychubbs

Activity: 742
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 03:15:18 AM

What is your reasons for picking $2-3?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄████████████████████▄
     ▄██████████████▀█████████▄
   ▄███████████████   ██████████▄
  ▐█████████████████   ██████████▌
 ▐█████████████████▀    ██████████▌
 ███████████████▀        ██████████
▐████████████▀     ▄███   █████████▌
████████████    ▄████▀██▄███████████
██████████▀██▄████▀    █████████████
█████████   ███▀     ▄██████████████
▐█████████        ▄████████████████▌
 ██████████    ▄███████████████████
 ▐██████████   ███████████████████▌
  ▐██████████   █████████████████▌
   ▀██████████▄█████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████████████▀
       ▀████████████████████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
    ██
   ████
  ██▌███
 ▐██▌███▌
 ███ ██▀▌
 ▀██ █▄██
 █▄█ ███▀
 ▀██ ██▄█
 █▄█ ███▌
  ██▌███
  ▐█▌██
   ▐█▌
    █
    █
     ▀

░░██████
░░██████
░░██████

░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████

██████
██████
██████

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████

▄▄██████▄▄
       ▐██▀    ▀██▌
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
      ██████████████
      █████  ███████     ██ 
  ██  █  ████████  █ ██   
      ███████  █████    ██   
      ██████████████

▄██▄
▀██▀         ▄██▄
             ▀██▀

▄██▄
       ▀██▀

▄██▄
  ▄██▄     ▀██▀
  ▀██▀

▄▄█▄▄   ▄
█▄        ████████▀▄
███      █████████▀
▐███▄    ████████▌
▄▄█████▄▄▄███████▌
  ▀█████████████
  ▄▄██████████▀
    ▄████████▀
▀▀████████▀
    ▀▀▀

▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄
   ▐█▄████████████▄█▌
  ▐██████████████████▌
  █████▀▀▀████▀▀▀█████
 █████     ██     █████
▐██████▄▄▄████▄▄▄██████▌
 ████▄▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄████
  ▀▀████        ████▀▀
      ▀▀        ▀▀

█▀▀▄▄▄█▄
         █    ▀█▀
       ▄▄█▄▄
▄██▄▄████████▄▄██▄
█████▀▀████▀▀█████
 ███▄  ▄██▄  ▄███
  ▀████▀██▀████▀
    ▀███▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██ ██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██

██ ██

Homepage

██ ██

██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██ ██

White Paper
bitleaker

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 04:28:07 AM

BTC's were slowly rising from $1-$2/$3 before the artificially induced bubble. My belief is that $2-$3 is the true value of BTC's at this time.
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 04:37:02 AM

BTC's were slowly rising from $1-$2/$3 before the artificially induced bubble. My belief is that $2-$3 is the true value of BTC's at this time.

What is your evidence that the bubble was artificially induced?
bitleaker

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 05:10:58 AM

I was there?

The bubble was mainly due to media hype - national and global media reporting about silkroad etc. However, this is just my opinion Wink
BitterTea

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 05:19:59 AM

I was there?

The bubble was mainly due to media hype - national and global media reporting about silkroad etc. However, this is just my opinion Wink

Ok, it sounded like you were implying that it was willfully artificially induced, not just natural hype surrounding a new technology.
bitleaker

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 05:24:28 AM

Ok, it sounded like you were implying that it was willfully artificially induced, not just natural hype surrounding a new technology.
Ah right, sorry about that Wink

Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that there was a conspiracy. The bubble was just hype mixed with greed.
hmongotaku

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2011, 06:26:01 PM

The sky is falling the pools are drying up! time to move on IRL?

Yahkin

Activity: 12

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 03:26:01 AM

The problem is that I don't see any new mainstream adoption occurring.  What increase in demand exists to drive their price up?  We have an increasing supply, but a stagnant demand.  Economics 101 says the price will keep falling without something changing.
BitterTea

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 03:34:19 AM

The problem is that I don't see any new mainstream adoption occurring.  What increase in demand exists to drive their price up?  We have an increasing supply, but a stagnant demand.  Economics 101 says the price will keep falling without something changing.

Have you heard, a few people are unhappy with the banking oligarchy! A few others are unhappy with the very concept of central, institutionalized fractional reserve banking.

I think a few of them might like Bitcoin. Give it time.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 03:53:40 AM

I was there?

It was up to $9 before the silk road article.  The crash from $30 was caused by a combination of the Allinvain BS and Mt.Gox hack.
Gerken

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:53:11 PM

I was there?

It was up to $9 before the silk road article.  The crash from $30 was caused by a combination of the Allinvain BS and Mt.Gox hack.

Get real, it's been 4+ months now, and you are still blaming the falling prices on it?  There just isn't enough demand, and the libertarian faction have helped scare off normal people.  Now what's left?  An exchange which is getting more flaky by the day, a few merchants that sell the same things as everyone except for an additional markup, and a bunch of scammers all tryin to scam each other.  I call 1.50-2 by December. 

Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 03:22:12 PM

I was there?

Get real, it's been 4+ months now, and you are still blaming the falling prices on it?  There just isn't enough demand, and the libertarian faction have helped scare off normal people.  Now what's left?  An exchange which is getting more flaky by the day, a few merchants that sell the same things as everyone except for an additional markup, and a bunch of scammers all tryin to scam each other.  I call 1.50-2 by December. 

No...those incidents started the trend...there have been many other incidents/selloffs/FUD to aid in the decline, not to mention very clear market manipulation (I assume multiple entities, I do not believe in a single manipulator).  I don't really care either way...if BTC value was $1 it would still be more useful than a dollar in some ways.  If Bitcoin failed today I would be out no money, I mine and have already cleared my costs.

Just people like you being here to spread FUD further proves my point.  There is a disproportionate amount of fear and misinformation being spread by people in this forum who have no interest in anything except seeing BTC fail.  If it has no value it will fail on its own without your help.   
gewure

[#][#][#]

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 04:04:56 PM

anyone with knowledge of chartanalysis will tell you: the current price is VERY likely to be a bottom. Look at stock-charts. it is really nothing incommon to drop in worth for 4 months. this is in fact very normal. the intra-day movements are what is really interesting:

again: BUY now

(i think i don't have to mark the strong bullish outbreaks, you can see them yourself i guess; but just in case: it are the long green candles just after the deepest bottom price: signalling that there is strong bullish-buyer resistance at this price.)
gewure

[#][#][#]

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 04:18:24 PM

i really can suggest this trading blog with a lot of very good charts:

http://www.bitcoinbullbear.com/index.html

i don't read there premium tradingletter, thought..
iamapi

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 07:34:04 AM

So just don't panic.

Another risk is people won't use bitcoin
mtgoxCharlie

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 09:47:57 AM

prices went up today from 3.9 to 4.1!  It may sound small but its good difference for some people.  You just never know when its going to fall or go up, pretty much an gambling except we have control over it. 
blue.mitzi

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 09:58:01 AM

People will use it, once a huge mulch-national like eBay or Skype gets behind it watch out. it won't be Google prices but I can see $5-$10 average being the baseline
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 12:53:05 PM

People will use it, once a huge mulch-national like eBay or Skype gets behind it watch out. it won't be Google prices but I can see $5-$10 average being the baseline

Woo yes! I would love to see a Skype type service, or any VOIP accepting bitcoins.
barter

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 11:37:11 PM

Prices falling and climbing has happened a lot this year, it's normal.
snugy_wumpkins

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 05:20:26 PM

My question remains is why haven't we told occupy wall street about bitcoins? Beyond that, the lorn and gambling industry would definitely help us flourish again.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 08:02:03 PM

My question remains is why haven't we told occupy wall street about bitcoins? Beyond that, the lorn and gambling industry would definitely help us flourish again.

They do know about it, some of them are taking donations in it, they just aren't interested in it beyond that, like the majority of the world. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Immanual Stop

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 12:45:49 AM

Bruce is there every day talking to the 21 year olds about bitcoins.
holosupplies

Activity: 17

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 04:57:24 PM

just like the stock market you need to control your emotions when you see the prices going up and down.
TheFutureIsInteresting

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 05:18:51 PM

This is actually around the price that I've expected bitcoin to be at.  That is, around $3 to $5 USD.  I don't think that any reasonable, critically thinking person ever expected them to stay at $20+ per bitcoin this early in its existence.  The fact that there are fluctuations around this price point really isn't concerning to me, because currencies fluctuate all the time.

What I do like is seeing are the new merchants pop up, like BitBrew and BitMunchies, in addition to online services like AirVPN using the BitCoins.  This keeps people spending, mining, and the services growing.  This is a good sign, in my opinion, that bitcoin is a healthy currency.
factotumjack

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 07:30:50 PM

I was reminded about BitCoin at Occupy Vancouver yesterday, perhaps there will be another bump in interest now that Occupy has gone global.  Also, according to Option Stalker (link below), prices seem to be stabilizing. Of course that's really over a period of 7-8 days.

It's stable enough that I'll be offering statistical consulting for BitCoins in the next week, I hope.

http://optionstalker.com/index.php?range=672 (I looked at this graph 12:30am GMT -8, in case it shows something different now).
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 07:34:07 PM

Exactly, even if it is difficult to predict the exact low short term, long term bitcoin prices are still in an uptrend.

And prices are the leading indicator, not news. this means prices will move up BEFORE you see more positive news. Regarding Occupy X, the people who got interested still first need to move funds to the exchanges, and this takes some time. The ones who are already having funds on bitcoin exchanges have an advantage.

SippieCup

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:11:10 AM

I still don't think that the occupy movement will do much (if anything) to bitcoin in the long run.
Erratic

Activity: 12

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:21:07 AM

I still don't think that the occupy movement will do much (if anything) to bitcoin in the long run.

The more the merrier. It would be more people to spread the word about BitCoin, that may be good considering the occupy movement seems to consist of people that are mainly active within their movement, so therefore this can benefit similar like minded movements. It just depends whether the occupy movement would see BitCoin as a similar and like minded movement, I believe they would.
robocop

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 01:09:44 PM

In my opinion it is healthy that the bitcoin is falling down because...

1. Some of the big speculators will kicked out of the market.
2. Some of the big bitcoinholder must be sold because the most of the small bitcoinholder bought bitcoins for a higher price than the current price and won´t sell the bitcoins and make loss.
3. The people who have no bitcoins have now a good chance to buy bitcoins for a better price.
4. The bottom of the pricecrash is near! Here an example,
1BTC => 1$ would mean that only 7.5mio.$ is needed to buy all bitcoins
OR
1000 people need only 7500$ to buy all bitcoins
OR
10000 peope need only 750$
;-)

I think that the high pessimism is the best condition for a next run of bitcoins and prices above 30$

My target for the next 2 years is 100$ per BTC in minimum becaus i believe that the bitcoin will be successful as facebook, twitter oder google.

BrimStone

Activity: 71

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 01:24:35 PM

The problem I see now is a vicious circle with miners shutting down due to the falling prices and new $$$ not coming in also because of the falling prices.

If you look at Bitcoins as a microcosm of a country and its currency you can see the parallels:

1) A country has a Fiat currency (with no backing)
2) The country has natural resources (Lets say bananas)
3) The world has a demand for bananas so they buy from the country
4) The currency is worth something due to the mercantile exchange (in this case trade)

In Bitcoins the same can be said.  The demand for the currency must be based on some type of mercantile exchange.  We mine the coins like you would gold or silver but you also need a reason for people to trade with us.

Everyone should be looking at how to provide "something" as part of the exchange if you want to see this work.  There are a great many merchants using BTC but we cannot let them walk away because of the unstable pricing or a feeling or loss of value.  If we were a real country the solution would be either to pin the value of BTC to another currency (like China does with the USD) or back BTC with something like gold or silver to stabilize the value.

BitCoin Addr: 1GvcrpJmvC9wsdAndVnMFLc7dD9Yeo1ggU
BrimStone

Activity: 71

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 01:58:39 PM

The ultimate answer is to come up with a "killer app".  This would be something you would REQUIRE Bitcoins to do or purchase and no other options are available.

The example here is oil.  Oil is traded with USD only (even though that is starting to change now).  Since you can only buy with USD, that creates a built in demand for USD.

I would say the killer app in the case of BTC would be something which requires anonymous financial transactions due to any number of reasons.  (Not just the illegal ones)

BitCoin Addr: 1GvcrpJmvC9wsdAndVnMFLc7dD9Yeo1ggU
robocop

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 03:03:09 PM

@BrimStone

I understand you but i think that the independence of banks in combination with the human desire are the garantuee of success.

Look into the history of the web and new technologies for example...

Facebook (the first social network)
Google (on of the first searchmachine and the first simple-made searchmachine)
iTunes by apple (the first portal to buy mp3-music)
and a lot of more...

I think that the bitcoin has similar potential because the people of the world are searching for financial independence and an alternative to the old money and bank system.
In my opinion the bitcoin is only the beginning of a new financial system and a lot of more national regional similar systems will be born.

I see the future not in one two or three currencies in the world but in a lot of smaller local currencies which can exchange in other currencies as the bitcoin.
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 03:08:23 PM

Facebook (the first social network) [NOPE]
Google (on of the first searchmachine and the first simple-made searchmachine) [NOPE]

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
robocop

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 04:08:22 PM

@johnj

i mean that facebook is the first social network which hit the nerve of the time.
google is similar because google is the first engine which had only a text box without link lists and a lot of banner and pictures.
forsetifox

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 06:41:14 PM

In my opinion mining will go CPU for a while now until someone gets the new algorithms working on GPUs. CPU mining is cheaper and uses less power.
MadHacker

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 07:21:34 PM

In my opinion mining will go CPU for a while now until someone gets the new algorithms working on GPUs. CPU mining is cheaper and uses less power.
umm... we are already doing mining by GPU because CPU is to slow...
care to elaborate on this
factotumjack

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:04:23 AM

The ultimate answer is to come up with a "killer app".  This would be something you would REQUIRE Bitcoins to do or purchase and no other options are available.

The example here is oil.  Oil is traded with USD only (even though that is starting to change now).  Since you can only buy with USD, that creates a built in demand for USD.

I would say the killer app in the case of BTC would be something which requires anonymous financial transactions due to any number of reasons.  (Not just the illegal ones)

A product that could only be purchased by BTC would be great for the currency, but would it be good for the product? Unless, as you mentioned, it would be something in which anonymous purchase was integral or an advantage already, it could cost the product maker a lot of sales by restricting its market.

One hazy idea I have is patent (or other IP) insurance. Patent applications can be expensive and time-consuming, and insurance that someone else doesn't beat you to it may not be ideal if you don't want to reveal that you have something.  I can see engineers wanting something like this if they were worried about lawsuits with their employers about IP rights.
Dan The Man

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:42:16 AM

How about an app, something popular and fun like Tower Defence, Angry Birds or Snood, that brings in some sort of dollar revenue. In return, it gives back some of that revenue as BTC for completing in game challenges. It works as a kind of in game currency for bonuses or upgrades or hats things like that. For the person that doesn't care, BTC can just be like points. They don't need a wallet or anything it's just a score, or a game money for them. For the person that is really into the game, they might want to purchase external BTC to buy more in game upgrades. They could buy these from other players or on the open market. Sound feasible?
factotumjack

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 04:08:19 AM

Actually, it does sound feasible.  I can see there being a draw in being able to spend 'game money' on real services. Still though.. it would take a lot of time to work out the in-game mechanics so that you're not doling out huge amounts of BTC for little cash. Perhaps if the player had the option of becoming a miner for BTC in their in-game account? Then you could give item drops (to use an MMORPG term) in a structure that paid an expected value slightly less than the BTC value of their mining.

On the other hand, if the game got popular, mining value could go down the toilet.

Not so simple after all.
freshzive

Activity: 447

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 05:20:48 AM

Any press is good press

lonestar108

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 08:09:40 AM

Any press is good press

True, but ultimately bitcoin's usefulness in providing an alternative means of performing monetary transactions is what will make it successful in the long run. Since I don't hold any BTC long-term but usually only when I need them, I'm not panicking yet, although I'm glad I didn't invest in a bunch like I was planning to a few months ago.
Bit Ghost

Activity: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 02:39:52 PM

The more the merrier. It would be more people to spread the word about BitCoin, that may be good considering the occupy movement seems to consist of people that are mainly active within their movement, so therefore this can benefit similar like minded movements. It just depends whether the occupy movement would see BitCoin as a similar and like minded movement, I believe they would.

I think the Occupy movement first needs to decide what it's protesting for/against. I went to my local protest just to look around and there were people protesting everything from marijuana legalization, to tax rates, to 9/11 conspiracies, to wealth inequality.

Seems like a lot of people who are pissed about a bunch of stuff. Spreading the word about Bitcoin is fine but it looks like they have other issues they want to deal with first.
BitterTea

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 02:58:33 PM

I think the Occupy movement first needs to decide what it's protesting for/against. I went to my local protest just to look around and there were people protesting everything from marijuana legalization, to tax rates, to 9/11 conspiracies, to wealth inequality.

Seems like a lot of people who are pissed about a bunch of stuff. Spreading the word about Bitcoin is fine but it looks like they have other issues they want to deal with first.

They're all related, unfortunately many don't realize that the problem is government, just one of the symptoms is corporations.

Bitcoin (or the concept of decentralized currency anyway) is one of many cures.
kiyote

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 04:56:28 PM

I think that the Occupy movements are actually a whole bunch of different, smaller movements rolled into one to gain a larger presence than if they were all separate.  There's no reason why BitCoin couldn't be added to the mix, especially if other members of the Occupy movement began to accept donations in it.  Wink
mr chong

Activity: 78

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 06:06:21 PM

It usually takes years for something like this to catch on, it took Paypal years even with ebays help to grow and this is much more complex since it is not just a way of making payments but a form of payment itself.
btcfan

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 04:18:48 AM

It's not going to be void. Currency going up and donw all the time.
RADEONHD

Activity: 7

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 05:34:56 AM

At this point mining is great if you like destroying the environment and spending a fortune on electricity whilst not even getting enough compensation to help pay half the electric bill.
Mr Squidward

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 03:17:10 AM

Regarding a use for Bitcoin that could give it real traction, I imagine that if online porn sites began to offer Bitcoin as an option it would soon have a lot of users. Bitcoin transactions may not be totally anonymous, but they're a lot easier to hide from the wife or gf than a credit card.
kiyote

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 06:20:32 AM

Regarding a use for Bitcoin that could give it real traction, I imagine that if online porn sites began to offer Bitcoin as an option it would soon have a lot of users. Bitcoin transactions may not be totally anonymous, but they're a lot easier to hide from the wife or gf than a credit card.

You actually make a good point here.  It's a selling point for both the porn market _and_ BitCoins.  ;-)
helloworld

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 02:23:34 PM

At this point mining is great if you like destroying the environment and spending a fortune on electricity whilst not even getting enough compensation to help pay half the electric bill.

I suspect that it's also pretty great if you plan to keep your mined coins for a few years and sell them for megabucks.

Dan The Man

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 03:27:09 PM

I suspect that it's also pretty great if you plan to keep your mined coins for a few years and sell them for megabucks.
[/quote]

No it's not. If mining costs you more than the market price of bitcoins, then you can just spend the money you save from your electricity bill on buying bitcoins. You would end up with more coins and still be able to sell them for megabucks down the road.
kiyote

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 04:46:49 PM

Buy, just buy.
Alfurx

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 05:09:44 PM

Now that BTCs are below 3 bucks, someone hacked my TH account and stole 17 BTCs by withdrawing them to his address.. WHY? It would have made sense at $15/BTC or more...
novalia65

Activity: 19

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:09:06 PM

I am not so sure about electric companies accepting bitcoins for payment...I hope that comes true one day and that bitcoin stabilizes at all...There are many interesting created against bitcoin currency. Big players won't allow people to take control over currencies so easily. Power make persons greddy
Korvalkov_V

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 09:27:53 AM

Buy, just buy.
agree
burlington

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 11:28:15 AM

I've only been around the btc scene a couple of months but we seem to be on or about a decent resistance point after the price collapse of the last fortnight. If I had any money to invest, I also would buy buy buy!
kiyote

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 09:25:11 PM

I've only been around the btc scene a couple of months but we seem to be on or about a decent resistance point after the price collapse of the last fortnight. If I had any money to invest, I also would buy buy buy!

Personally, I think that we're going to have a linear growth from this point out, at least for a while.  I am curious as to what's going to happen next year when the number of bitcoins you gain per block gets halved.

kiyote
tom64

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 10:23:27 PM

The BTC price sucks now Sad
I have been holding off selling mine at $17 and $15 hoping it would go back up to $30, now I feel so screwed Sad
MadHacker

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 10:29:43 PM

The BTC price sucks now Sad
I have been holding off selling mine at $17 and $15 hoping it would go back up to $30, now I feel so screwed Sad
I did the same...
in the end i traded my bitcoins for more video cards.
madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 02:59:55 PM

nice

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

Al-arabia

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 07:19:16 PM

BTC price now push up ;-))) time to make money
fabsugar

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 04:02:01 AM

$-chart of the last days looks pretty as if there is strong resistance at 3.85, 3.95. and 4.10

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/4252/mtgoxs.jpg

BUY!

Lol? Great chart. Remind me of The Wall Street.
gewure

[#][#][#]

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 04:20:53 AM

miscalculation happens
fabsugar

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 04:30:15 AM

don't treat bc as a investment, treat it as a hobby and you will find it enjoyable. ~fab
clone4501

Activity: 58

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 05:30:46 AM

A great idea and it has been suggested before.  Of course, one problem is that porn users usually want their porn on demand.  Who wants to wait around for more than an hour for a Bitcoin transaction to be verified.  But this can be worked out and developers are working on this issue.  In the mean time, we need more creative suggestions like this.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 08:30:19 AM

Don't people that pay for porn do it with monthly fees?

edit:of course i'm talking about porn sites, not about ordering DVDs and such

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
trilby

Activity: 45

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 11:02:58 AM

I feel that prices are going to just going to stay between $2 and $5 changing every couple of days. But prices seem to of gone up today and has made a nice change from the $2 area.
cocopop

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 02:45:12 PM

there just needs to be another story about something people want but can't easily get (eg SR), bc will go up, we all sell, bc will go down... its a vicious cycle my friends!
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 06:45:50 PM

Looks like its going back up! Buy Buy Buy!  Tongue

Last Price: 3.55312 High:3.82717 Low: 3.136

wolf1234

Activity: 17

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 07:25:33 PM

yeah past few days it seems to be creeping up again... i think most people that were gonna jump ship have done so already

mining and holding here also Smiley

btw i think the comment about only illegal stuff to buy is nonsense, there are some really good looking precious metals for sale among the masses of mining equipment you can buy with BTC

the one bad thing is now bitcoin prices have dropped low its frustratingly far away for me to be able to afford even a tiny bit of silver bar just from my mining lol
thats why this is a hobby and not an investment (although i admittedly turned away from nvidia cards thanks to btc)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 04:55:34 AM

A great idea and it has been suggested before.  Of course, one problem is that porn users usually want their porn on demand.  Who wants to wait around for more than an hour for a Bitcoin transaction to be verified.  But this can be worked out and developers are working on this issue.  In the mean time, we need more creative suggestions like this.

There is no need for confirmations in low value transactions.  The risk of double spend is very low.  Is someone going to spend $80M to generate a 51% attack in order to get an hours worth of free porn?

I am sure current porn sites lose a significant amount to fees/fraud/chargeback.  Bitcoin doesn't need to be perfect, just better.  I mean say you are a porn site operator and someone does manage to double spend attack you.  At most you are going to find out in an hour or two and then you ban the account.  What is the actual loss?  Not that RIAA BS where you take 100% of full retail price * # of piracies but actual loss.  If someone is trying that hard to steal an hours worth of free porn then likely they weren't going to pay anyways.  So the site is out a couple pennies worth of bandwidth.  A lot better than a $35 charge back fee.

beelzebobo

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 07:11:50 AM

Not sure what you mean by double spend... Would you care to enlighten me please? Or should I go do my own research? Hehe not sure how newbie friendly this community is... Don't want to start off asking stupid questions but...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 02:28:30 PM

Not sure what you mean by double spend... Would you care to enlighten me please? Or should I go do my own research? Hehe not sure how newbie friendly this community is... Don't want to start off asking stupid questions but...

The reason for waiting on confirmations is protection against an attack known as a double spend.

A double spend works like this:
1) I spent some bitcoins
2) I then immediately somewhere else spend same bitcoins to another merchant.
3) Only one of those spends will be included in the next block.

If you are a victim of a double spend you have a 50% chance of getting coins.  Luck of the draw.  Once a transaction is in a block that is 1 confirmation.  The ony way that could be undone is a theoretical attack known as a "51% attack" which is very expensive.

After 6 confirms the likelihood that all 6 blocks could be undone by a longer chain in an extended 51% attack is very remote.

So 0 confirms = risk
1 confirms = much lower risk
6 confirms = essentially no risk

Now I just said 0 confirms is risky so how could a business take 0 confirm transactions?  Well if you are moving $20M in irrevocable bearer bonds you better not skip waiting for 6 (or maybe 20) confirms. 

However if it is access to a porn website (or a $3 burger) the risk of a double spend is very small and the potential loss to the business is very little.  There really is no need to wait for 1+ confirms.  No business need to avoid 100% of fraud just keep fraud at a low level.  CC, checks and cash are still used despite billions of dollars a year in fraud.

Many people think I must have 6 confirms or "ultra risky".  Just pointing out that risk is all relative.  0 confirms is lkely less risky (based on what we have observed so far) than accepting a credit card for small transactions.
TheManipulator

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 05:20:10 AM

My bad.
4g0tt3n

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 12:33:07 AM

Time to pull the plug or switch to something more profitable
FPGA could be a nice idea

solar or free source of electricity generator is also a good one
im starting a project on building my own DIY solar electricity plant
starting a blog here

tell me what you guys think

http://mycheapenergy.blogspot.com/2011/11/episode-2-gathering-source.html
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 02:24:19 AM

My bad.

Get 'im.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 09:00:58 PM

There is no need to wait.

Performing a non-Finney 0-confirm double spend attack is extremely difficult and merchant will detect it within minutes (seconds is more likely).  If it ever became a problem merchants could adopt better double spend detection methods and make it almost impossible.

Porn merchants current lose magnitudes more by using credit cards then they ever would with 0-confirm sales.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: