Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:38:22 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogecoin Founder turns down Venture Capital.  (Read 2489 times)
Pangia (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 06:35:22 PM

http://www.techly.com.au/2014/02/17/dogecoin-founder-turned-half-million-dollars-f/

EXCLUSIVE – DOGECOIN FOUNDER: “I TURNED DOWN HALF A MILLION DOLLARS. BECAUSE F*** THAT”

Claire PorterCONTRIBUTOR
by Claire Porter    in Web    on Monday 17 February 2014

Dogecoin founder Jackson Palmer has thrown down the gauntlet to the cryptocurrency community declaring that neither he nor his digital currency are for sale, despite huge offers of investment from Australian venture capitalists.
At an Australian meet-up on Thursday night organised via Reddit, where Dogecoin’s community was started, the Sydney-based founder told Techly he is also calling for government regulation of cryptocurrencies – a move that’s unlikely to make him any friends in the Bitcoin community.

For those not in the know, Dogecoin is an internet currency that features ‘Doge’, a Shiba Inu (breed of dog) from Japan, based on the popular internet meme, as its logo. The currency has gained traction as a tipping system whereby Reddit, Twitter and most recently Facebook users donate Dogecoin to each other as a reward for posting interesting or valuable content, or to introduce them to the system.

Unlike Bitcoin, which puts an artificial cap on how many coins can be mined, Dogecoin adds five billion coin worth of Dogecoin yearly after the first ‘cap’ of 100 billion coins are mined – which may be as early as the end of 2014. There are technical reasons behind this, important to the way the currency network verifies transactions.

“It’s a deflationary/inflationary model I like to jokingly call ‘Dogeflation’,” Palmer said.

“We’re trying to stabilise ourselves and get it to a point where it can be treated as a viable currency.”

Palmer said the internet has been crying out for a way of tangibly sending something valuable that can be reused over the internet. In the future, he envisions rather than being able to ‘Like’ something on Facebook (for example), you could tip a few Dogecoins.

“I honestly think it’s on its way to becoming the currency of the internet,” he said.

“This is the reason why, if you have a look at Facebook credits for example, all these different corporations try to force digital credit upon their users.

“That’s why if you try to put something on the Apple store or Facebook App Store at the moment it gets banned because they have their own credit systems they want to control or police and cash in on at the end of the day.

“That’s where Dogecoin fits in.

“The internet is asking for a currency akin to the US or Australian dollar that you can send to somebody else without having to worry about it and it’s more tangible than clicking a button and that person getting a notification that said I liked it.

“Ultimately that’s where I see it landing.

“When somebody likes something that I post it’s more tangible than a little bit of reputation. It’s not something that can be manufactured. It also costs the end user. That’s how a currency works. Or it should.

“The fact that if I post a cool song my friend loves, we can go to the bar on Friday and say ‘I bought you a beer with that’.

“I don’t think you’ll be buying cars, yachts, houses with this stuff, but micro transactions based off social media. Damn. That’s where it’s at.”

Dogecoin (or whatever comes after it) could be a great way for the internet community to give something back to the media outlets, musicians, artists, designers and others they admire, the founder ruminated.

“It addresses the hollowness of the internet,” he said. “At the moment… there are so many fake spam accounts out there that like all these different things.

“You really know who your friends even if they’re just tipping you 10 cents.”

Really it’s the Office Space theory. If consumers donate just a fraction of a cent to a person or organisation of their choosing, everyone makes money.

There exists a distinct rivalry between Bitcoin types and Dogecoin advocates.

Palmer characterised Bitcoin types as “an elitist little group you have to ask for an invite to, whereas Dogecoin is more a grassroots community thing.”

“You can go to a Bitcoin meet up and meet people who are like ‘I have 100 BitCoins, I’m a multimillionaire’,” he said.

“Dogecoin is the community’s currency, open to everyone, and that’s how I want to keep it.”

The big end of town wants in – but Palmer isn’t interested
It’s clear Palmer is totally disinterested in any short-term gain Dogecoin could afford him. A purist, he believes Dogecoin is “the internet’s currency” and end users will decide its success or failure.

In fact on Thursday, Palmer told Techly he turned down half a million dollars from two venture capitalist (VC) firms.

“I’ve been approached by VCs lately who want to cash in on this Dogecoin thing and they’re offering me what in reality is ridiculous amounts of money.

“And I’m sitting there quietly with them saying ‘I want to throw X amount of dollars at this’ and I’m like, ‘take a step back, it’s a dog on a coin’. Has the world gone mad?”

Techly can confirm Palmer met with one Australian VC firm, which shall remain nameless. A spokesperson did not discuss how much money the firm offered Palmer for Dogecoin but confirmed to Techly a meeting did indeed take place.

“The firm’s inquiries into Dogecoin are in the preliminary stage,” the spokesperson said.

Palmer claims a second meeting was held with a US firm, which has failed to return Techly’s emails for confirmation.

And if that throw down wasn’t already enough, Palmer has laid down the gauntlet to the Bitcoin community – which is fiercely anti-regulation – advocating for the Australian government (and others) to regulate and legitimise cryptocurrencies.

“I do ultimately think we need to regulate around this stuff otherwise you will not gain the trust of the average Joe who wants to put $100 into whatever digital currency they’re using.

“That said, we shouldn’t be putting all our faith in centralised institutions because that gets us to where we have landed today.

“The Canadian Government has already decided to regulate against cryptocurrencies and I think that’s absolutely awesome. The fact that a government is even talking about cryptocurrency in the first place is like, booyah. That’s a massive boon for the whole thing.”

Mr Palmer’s hope is that governments will learn about virtual currencies like Dogecoin, understand how they work and eventually see it’s a currency that is facilitating good.

Dogecoin recently raised $30,000 to pair service dogs with children in need and also raised $30,000 to send the Jamaican bobsled team to Sochi.

“That’s why I turned those guys down,” he said.

“A lot of investors come to me and they say ‘you know you could get rich off this, you can make millions. What are you going to tell your grandchildren in the future?’

“And I reply, ‘you know what I’m going to tell my grandkids? I’m going to tell them that we paired service dogs with children in need, off the back of a f***ing joke.’

“The fact is that out of nothing I can contribute $30,000 to a children’s charity that I believe in, that is payment enough.

“I don’t want anything more. I could leave tomorrow but the fact is I’ll be happy for the rest of my life. It’s all I want.”

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
lajz99

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:08:17 PM

Nobody really cares...the coin is a joke that has gotten old. 

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:21:47 PM

I can't disagree totally. First I'm a BTC supporter but I'm open to the other currencies. I even hold a few Doge.
But, I don't like the open endedness regarding supply. It seems very inflationary.

Great marketing and wonderful community, I get that. But it is on it's way to becoming another inflated FIAT currency.

And I just heard that Doge had a hard fork, what happened there?

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Pangia (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:28:22 PM

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/dogecoin-founder-disses-bitcoin-says-he-turned-down-500-000-n32311

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 07:39:44 PM

seen this other day and i thought, of course he did.. he would have been dumb to accept the investment..
he would have no way to pay it back after he lost it.. the coin is dead and no half million investment will change that.
unless of course they supplement the difficulty increasing and mining revenue getting lower and lower by handing out bribes to people to mine it lol

should we even believe this crap anyway ? ever heard of market manipulation or bias ?
Does the guy / firm offering to invest currently sit on half a billion coins or something ?

what ever.... bs scam coin is bs

FUD first & ask questions later™
usahero

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:09:36 PM

But, I don't like the open endedness regarding supply. It seems very inflationary.

It is not.
Zzzack

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:25:03 PM

It is not.

It isn't technically inflationary, but the total supply will be inflated by 5 billion coins a year.

/econ, math people will get this

Producer
cozk

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:25:40 PM

Thats retarded.

I'm here for the $$$$$
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:35:55 PM

It is not.

Maybe give some info. 5 Babababa BILLION coins per year is an awful lot of coins!
If that isn't inflationary it means there are just too many coins in circulation as it is. It is like Pesos, 15000 for a coffee? Yeah, fun, but useful?
(Again I have some Doge so am not bashing it outright. There are things not to like about a lot of coins.)

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Yuzu

Activity: 368

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 09:55:32 PM

Thats retarded.

I'm here for the $$$$$

I hate when people say something is retarded, but you're right.  I have a lot of Doge, and I think it's cute.  But I'm only interested in $$$$.  That's it.  Forget community.  Forget fun.  Forget fun slogans.  I like cold, hard cash.  I think that this article is bunk.  I'm not quite smart enough to figure out what's going on, but I know the poor want to be rich, and the rich want to be richer still.  No one turns down money unless they think there is more further down the pike.
Xenopus

Activity: 137

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:08:49 PM

It isn't technically inflationary, but the total supply will be inflated by 5 billion coins a year.

/econ, math people will get this

The supply will increase by 5 billion per year, not inflate. Inflation is a separate phenomenon where the buying power of a currency falls, and does not necessarily follow upon an increasing supply.

I'm sure you know that, not trying to show you up -- just commenting to help keep terminology clear.

BTC: 17mV6VCMnbYbrhJfsxCEZm9y3CL1qb6jFC
nyanstu

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:10:26 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/nyancoins/  Smiley

http://i58.tinypic.com/e5gzkm.jpg
GoldMath

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:11:27 PM

At least it's got balls
cozk

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:19:03 PM

Thats retarded.

I'm here for the $$$$$

I hate when people say something is retarded, but you're right.  I have a lot of Doge, and I think it's cute.  But I'm only interested in $$$$.  That's it.  Forget community.  Forget fun.  Forget fun slogans.  I like cold, hard cash.  I think that this article is bunk.  I'm not quite smart enough to figure out what's going on, but I know the poor want to be rich, and the rich want to be richer still.  No one turns down money unless they think there is more further down the pike.

Some people follow no logic.

Hippies and retards for instance.
Xenopus

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:21:02 PM

I think we're looking at the wrong side of the story. Forget the 500k venture turn down.

He agrees with government regulation sticking their fingers in our pockets?

Where does it say that?

Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:42:53 PM

I'm only interested in $$$$.  That's it.  Forget community.  Forget fun.  Forget fun slogans.  I like cold, hard cash.

Actually, that might be a perfect slogan for almost every coin released in the past 6 months.
SeriousCoins14

Activity: 154

Coinoholic

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:44:29 PM

I'm only interested in $$$$.  That's it.  Forget community.  Forget fun.  Forget fun slogans.  I like cold, hard cash.

Actually, that might be a perfect slogan for almost every coin released in the past 6 months.

+1.. but thats the way it is.. there are those who want to innovate.. and those who want to just profit from it. Some people just don't care about money, others are completely devoured by it for life.. Pretty sad to me.

XBC BTUCL6SoNCMYmvmY7tJ33EdtdvyNL4wdhr
Yuzu

Activity: 368

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:51:39 PM

+1.. but thats the way it is.. there are those who want to innovate.. and those who want to just profit from it. Some people just don't care about money, others are completely devoured by it for life.. Pretty sad to me.

Don't get me wrong.  I perhaps overstated my case a bit.  I would never steal or try to profit from someone's misery.  But to me making money is fun.  I spend money at Kickstarter and Kiva.  But I don't want for someone to come along with big promises who turns out to be a snake oil salesman.  Like I said, I have a lot of Dogecoin, but I don't understand it's present path.  At all.
SeriousCoins14

Activity: 154

Coinoholic

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 10:57:26 PM

Don't get me wrong.  I perhaps overstated my case a bit.  I would never steal or try to profit from someone's misery.  But to me making money is fun.  I spend money at Kickstarter and Kiva.  But I don't want for someone to come along with big promises who turns out to be a snake oil salesman.  Like I said, I have a lot of Dogecoin, but I don't understand it's present path.  At all.

I hear that. I guess the point I was getting at is it doesn't matter if something is made with the noblest intent, snakes will somehow get involved. And yeah, I have no idea what to expect with this coin going forward.

XBC BTUCL6SoNCMYmvmY7tJ33EdtdvyNL4wdhr
Xenopus

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:16:25 PM

I think we're looking at the wrong side of the story. Forget the 500k venture turn down.

He agrees with government regulation sticking their fingers in our pockets?

Where does it say that?

right in the article..

"the Sydney-based founder told Techly he is also calling for government regulation of cryptocurrencies – a move that’s unlikely to make him any friends in the Bitcoin community."

We don't need to be raped anymore by governments. What civilian just wakes up and goes hehe lets pay more taxes that never seem to be used for anything involving the common man.

Missed that bit, thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: