Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:51:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Bank Project  (Read 1244 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2011, 02:04:48 PM

The Open Bank Project aims:

to create a RESTful API so that banks and their customers can securely and cost effectively adopt Web 2.0, Open Source and 3rd party tools, services and strategies. We want to promote greater openness to financial data.

I was contacted by Ismail CHAIB, who wonders if bitcoiners "might be able and interested to contribute to the project."  If defining an API to help bring more transparency to government, nonprofit, and perhaps corporate finances sounds interesting to you (I'd personally like to see much more government financial transparency):

We're using Eviscape (http://eviscape.com/profile/openbankproject/) to manage our community. People interested by the project should register and ask to join the group. We'll add them to our platform.

You can also find us on facebook. http://on.fb.me/f9tApG

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 03:06:54 PM

1) It wants me to register to view their page.
2) Their community is on facebook.

So much for openness. I give them 3/10. Otherwise the idea sounds good & interests me, but I need to see some documents first. And it needs to be out there for all, not weaseled behind walls.

TBH this is too much of a struggle. Having built my latest site around OpenID, the standard is broken. All the providers do sketchy things that break it, and it's needlessly complex as a result of bickering board members. Things like the email field is optional meaning you need a register field anyway. The format for the URL is also unusual.

The difference is that companies WANT OpenID. Banks do not. Not in their interest. Many of their systems are relics from a bygone age.

Good luck to them though. Like the idea.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 12:25:08 PM

I just found OBP via Quora. Has there been any progress in it in the last year+ ?
Any relation to Bitcoin?

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: